• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spawn 9.9 part 2

18 posts in this topic

If you're submitting books with the hope of getting a 9.9, you'll be disappointed.

No offence meant, and the books you've posted seem to be in good condition, but 9.9s are very rare and must have that "je ne sais quoi". I'm just not seeing that here.

21 hours ago, Foley said:

If you're submitting books with the hope of getting a 9.9, you'll be disappointed.

No offence meant, and the books you've posted seem to be in good condition, but 9.9s are very rare and must have that "je ne sais quoi". I'm just not seeing that here.

I hear you brother , no offense taken at all. I been insulted by some of the us army finest over at Benning and Bragg. I know that I take bad pictures cause that light on the spine looks bad but RL spine looks perfect . the book was in protected case and never been opened

Terribly sorry I didnt thank you for taking the time to look and respond. 

FYI I wont be disappointed... Ill keep going till I get it  Oohaa! :)  ty again

Edited by Arak Zantara

7 hours ago, mattn792 said:

I believe I see 2, possibly 3, color breaking spine stresses on the back cover.  If that is the case, no hope of a 9.9, and most likely not even a 9.8.

Hi Mat thanks for looking :) I am going to go get my camera and reshoot ...I dont think I am very good at that part. I went over the book with a fine cotton circle just to make sure no dust flakes before shooting. It just occurred to me besides lighting ... I did not wipe down those lenses. BRB ty for looking 

IMG_1585.thumb.JPG.51f52b26dbdf091c97c927934e0956ad.JPGIMG_1588.thumb.JPG.f69dd9eb567a352e025735452f081637.JPGIMG_1582.thumb.JPG.829cd32fc1064c3dd2b4eada714f4507.JPGIMG_1589.thumb.JPG.fbc779ab79fdcc88d6908a93ae87378b.JPGSomeone had said that the book will show better on white , I also changing lighting and most importantly I cleaned the lens (was dirty)

IMG_1581.thumb.JPG.e41a0766e4eb5118fdad9aefe8976552.JPG

Now then , As someone suggested I retook some of the pictures after changing the background to white, changing the light source and cleaning the camera lens. These are the results 

IMG_1584.JPG

Edited by Arak Zantara

:foryou:  First ,my thanks to all 3 of you for taking the time and for posting a grade. :foryou:

On 11/25/2019 at 7:48 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sub-9.8 IMO.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:01 PM, Deadpoolica said:

18 hours ago, IbukiLord said:

May I ask how .?

I am trying to catch up 25 years ...trying to learn why .....hm

Edited by Arak Zantara

Yeah, give up these 9.9 dreams. If a book looks perfect it might get a 9.8. might. At that point its a matter of submitting hundreds if not thousands of books to luck into a 9.9. Go through your best most perfect seeing booms and submit 50 or whatever is required for the pre screen. See how many even come back 9.8. It will cost you $200 or whatever even before you get a slab, but it will give you a sense of whether you can gauge 9.8s in the wild.

20 hours ago, Arak Zantara said:

:foryou:  First ,my thanks to all 3 of you for taking the time and for posting a grade. :foryou:

May I ask how .?

I am trying to catch up 25 years ...trying to learn why .....hm

Spine ticks on front and back cover(by the staples) but, the big hit for me is the overall wear on the spine itself

I'm actually seeing a 9.6 you have that readers/floding CB crease on the spine looks like some scratches on the back I would safely say 9.4 or 9.6 black books are really hard to get 9.9 even 9.8 too 

image.png.565050d027e026d7220fc45aba44c81d.png

On 11/26/2019 at 11:34 PM, the blob said:

Yeah, give up these 9.9 dreams. If a book looks perfect it might get a 9.8. might. At that point its a matter of submitting hundreds if not thousands of books to luck into a 9.9. Go through your best most perfect seeing booms and submit 50 or whatever is required for the pre screen. See how many even come back 9.8. It will cost you $200 or whatever even before you get a slab, but it will give you a sense of whether you can gauge 9.8s in the wild.

Blob TBH it is more a game since returning to the hobby.  At the risk of upsetting the status quo.the groups I trade with have for the most part known each other for 50 years. I am sort of a new kid with most of my relationships only being 20 25 and 30 years :) I do thank you for taking the time and offering the advice

On 11/27/2019 at 6:06 AM, Mercury Man said:

9.9's are the Jonas Brothers of CGC.   They exist, they happen, they appear, and yet we don't know why.

MM my ninja what a beautifully descriptive way to drive a point home. I am starting to think you may be a closet poet with a sense of humor;)

On 11/27/2019 at 7:35 PM, Deadpoolica said:

Spine ticks on front and back cover(by the staples) but, the big hit for me is the overall wear on the spine itself

Thank you for not only your initial post but the informative follow up :)

On 11/29/2019 at 10:46 AM, Krismusic said:

I'm actually seeing a 9.6 you have that readers/floding CB crease on the spine looks like some scratches on the back I would safely say 9.4 or 9.6 black books are really hard to get 9.9 even 9.8 too 

image.png.565050d027e026d7220fc45aba44c81d.png

TY Krismusic I really appreciate the good photo angle 

well there you have it Thank you all so very much . One day I may actually submit one for a real grade. I had at one time on another thread made a comment that soon we would be authenticating signatures, DNA testing, restoration testing, molecular accuracy , and chemical composition.    making a note  captains log stardate 2019        2 of 5  beware 2025 ;)

Seriously if I dont see you again. You and yours have a  Merry Christmas and the best New Year... and Happy Holidays to anyone that doesn't do Christmas

7 hours ago, Arak Zantara said:

MM my ninja what a beautifully descriptive way to drive a point home. I am starting to think you may be a closet poet with a sense of humor;)

It has been a life long blessing and a curse.