• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions About Comic Book Pressing

9 posts in this topic

Hi there,

So I’m new to comic pressing and I’m sitting here wondering is there exceptions to NOT get ur comics pressed or is it almost mandatory to press your comics if your going to get them graded?

like if the book is straight off the press, should I get it pressed in my submission? 

im not sure about all u guys but I love the curves in these modern books. Like how there is that gap in the middle like I took 10 pieces of paper and folded them together. Does that hurt the grade, should I get the book pressed if that’s the only noticeable “defect” ?

is pressing the only way to get a 9.8 and higher??

thanks and let me know. 

I'll see if I can answer your questions in some kind of reasonable order...

1) Some people press everything. Some people don't like to press books unless there's a real need for it. I'm in the second group.

2) If a book is straight off the press, it seems a bit redundant to have it pressed. But it's your book and your money...

3) The gap you're referring to isn't considered a defect, and if a book is slabbed you'll likely never even notice it.

4) Amazingly, some books can still get 9.9's or 10.0's without being pressed (but I'm guessing it's pretty unusual...) 

I hope this helps, and welcome to the boards!   

14 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

16 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'll see if I can answer your questions in some kind of reasonable order...

1) Some people press everything. Some people don't like to press books unless there's a real need for it. I'm in the second group.

2) If a book is straight off the press, it seems a bit redundant to have it pressed. But it's your book and your money...

3) The gap you're referring to isn't considered a defect, and if a book is slabbed you'll likely never even notice it.

4) Amazingly, some books can still get 9.9's or 10.0's without being pressed (but I'm guessing it's pretty unusual...) 

I hope this helps, and welcome to the boards!   

Thank you.

This all does make sense, I mean I do understand grading to a point and how a press would help or not. I’m just bad at grading in the 9.4-9.8 range. It’s just the question of when I submit my next 20 comics should I wait the extra 55 days and spend the extra $140 to press them all, yes grades would be higher on some but would it give books I don’t notice issues on an even higher grade like a 9.6 to a 9.8? Is it even a possibility that pressing a book could lower the grade?

I just really want to make sure I’m doing my hard earned collectibles justice so that the next person who gets them when ever that may be can get their full value. 

My first submission to CGC, ever, I took books I had bought from my local LCS, and had 4 out of 5 comics graded a 9.8

If there is a "pressable defect" like a non-colour breaking bend or maybe slight spine roll, I can understand having it pressed. Otherwise, I try to leave well enough alone.

FTR, I have had one comic pressed in my life that I later sent to CGC and then sold.

-slym

24 minutes ago, hachimaull said:

Thank you.

This all does make sense, I mean I do understand grading to a point and how a press would help or not. I’m just bad at grading in the 9.4-9.8 range. It’s just the question of when I submit my next 20 comics should I wait the extra 55 days and spend the extra $140 to press them all, yes grades would be higher on some but would it give books I don’t notice issues on an even higher grade like a 9.6 to a 9.8? Is it even a possibility that pressing a book could lower the grade?

I just really want to make sure I’m doing my hard earned collectibles justice so that the next person who gets them when ever that may be can get their full value. 

You certainly raise some interesting points. 

I would suggest studying the differences between 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8. They're all nice, but you'll see that a tiny flaw here or there can make the difference. I still study books in this grade range, because CGC employs a number of graders, and they may not all see things exactly the same. But generally speaking, pressing will usually improve the grade of a given book, even though certain books are not good candidates for pressing (for example, books with fragile spines). If you're pressing moderns, I would expect the variety of flaws to be much lower. Most new moderns will grade out at least 9.4 - 9.6 without being pressed.

What I like to do is to look each book over carefully. Examine it for flaws that don't break color (such as dents and bends). Examine the book thoroughly, and view it from different angles to detect minor flaws that may not be visible at first. Try to visualize how the book will look after it's been pressed---it takes a little practice, but after awhile it will come to you. For example, if you look at a book and all you see wrong are a couple of minor dents on the cover that don't break color, try to see it as if those dents were gone. Now, what grade would the book be? 

And while I admire your desire to pass along the best possible product, keep in mind that you're not solely responsible for ensuring the next generation of collectors inherit a comic book gold mine. Purchase what you can afford, and as long as you're satisfied with your collection, that's the main thing...

25 minutes ago, slym2none said:

My first submission to CGC, ever, I took books I had bought from my local LCS, and had 4 out of 5 comics graded a 9.8

If there is a "pressable defect" like a non-colour breaking bend or maybe slight spine roll, I can understand having it pressed. Otherwise, I try to leave well enough alone.

FTR, I have had one comic pressed in my life that I later sent to CGC and then sold.

-slym

Very interesting, currently I’m not allowed to drive due to doctors orders (Vertigo) so I mostly buy on eBay or at conventions and I haven’t pressed anything yet but the books I’m sending to the McFarlane sending are all going to be pressed. thanks for your input in giving me faith in humanity, I’d think a lot of shops would pull 9.8s 

6 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I would suggest studying the differences between 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8. They're all nice, but you'll see that a tiny flaw here or there can make the difference. I still study books in this grade range, because CGC employs a number of graders, and they may not all see things exactly the same. But generally speaking, pressing will usually improve the grade of a given book, even though certain books are not good candidates for pressing (for example, books with fragile spines). If you're pressing moderns, I would expect the variety of flaws to be much lower. Most new moderns will grade out at least 9.4 - 9.6 without being pressed.

What I like to do is to look each book over carefully. Examine it for flaws that don't break color (such as dents and bends). Examine the book thoroughly, and view it from different angles to detect minor flaws that may not be visible at first. Try to visualize how the book will look after it's been pressed---it takes a little practice, but after awhile it will come to you. For example, if you look at a book and all you see wrong are a couple of minor dents on the cover that don't break color, try to see it as if those dents were gone. Now, what grade would the book be? 

And while I admire your desire to pass along the best possible product, keep in mind that you're not solely responsible for ensuring the next generation of collectors inherit a comic book gold mine. Purchase what you can afford, and as long as you're satisfied with your collection, that's the main thing...

I would think I’m more critical when it comes to grading than a professional grader, especially on noticeable damage but there is things I do miss so I will keep this in mind. I’m pretty OCD when it comes to my comic collection hence my reason for becoming a CGC member. I see them as art and an investment. I’d rather hang a comic than a photo or something. 

Maybe I’m just thinkIng to much about this, but I do want the highest grades possible for my books. I just feel like my last submission could of gotten higher marks if I pressed them but at this point I’m not going to crack and resend for an extra point. 

thank you much guys :) 

14 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

You know how much I respect your opinion , and my little bit of irration is in no way directed at you. You just happen to state what I want to reference

"the differences between 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8. They're all nice, but you'll see that a tiny flaw here or there can make the difference. I still study books in this grade range, because CGC employs a number of graders, and they may not all see things exactly the same."

It is a wonder any comics ever changed hands back in the stone age of mint near mint 8 , 9 , 10 day . at what point do we adjust for diminishing returns?  It is my hallucination that perhaps in another decade we can expect

cleaning 25

pressing 40

whitening 14.50 and another 5 if you want your teeth done

molecular energizing 84

signature authenticating+  PH balance confirmation+ DNA authenticating - 150

packaging in the new totally blacked out ( protects from UV) adamantium reinforced / air cooled/ cant see/ cant touch/ cant smell/ cant read ...but guaranteed to survive a nuclear blast or 9.9 quake even though you won't 200

Since the grade was a 9.7654321 and not a 9.7654322  it will be 11-teen percent of the market value if in the northern hemisphere on a Saturday facing east during high tide. but don't despair , you get one atta boy coupon good for an old school VR simulation of meeting , socializing and haggling over a rolled up comic in your back pocket while chewing on a butter-finger

The good news is your book sold

The bad new is after all taxes ,ebay fees and surcharges you owe 37 more dollars factoring in the person who stood in lion for you 

*Smile*

On 11/23/2019 at 4:28 PM, hachimaull said:

Hi there,

So I’m new to comic pressing and I’m sitting here wondering is there exceptions to NOT get ur comics pressed or is it almost mandatory to press your comics if your going to get them graded?

like if the book is straight off the press, should I get it pressed in my submission? 

im not sure about all u guys but I love the curves in these modern books. Like how there is that gap in the middle like I took 10 pieces of paper and folded them together. Does that hurt the grade, should I get the book pressed if that’s the only noticeable “defect” ?

is pressing the only way to get a 9.8 and higher??

thanks and let me know. 

1. No.
  2. No.
  3. No - that's not a defect.
  4. No.