• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions About Cream to Off-White Pages

23 posts in this topic

Some Nick Fury's (1968 run) back from CGC and this is what they grade:

Fury 8 - CGC 9.2 White Pages

" 9 - CGC 9.0 C/OW

" 10- CGC 8.5 C/OW Pages ( Which is nicest one, but has slight rust on staples)

" 11- CGC 9.2 C/OW Pages (Northland Pedegree)

" 13- CGC 9.4 OW Pages

While they are all beautiful books, I'm concerned about the ones with C/OW pages. It seems like collectors stay away from the C/OW page category for late Silver and early Bronze books.

Should I get rid of the C/OW books?

Would you take a lower grade book with better page quality? eg. A Fury #11 CGC 9.0 with White Pages over a Fury #11 CGC 9.2 with C/OW pages?

What do you think?

BronzeJohnny

10- CGC 8.5 C/OW Pages ( Which is nicest one, but has slight rust on staples)

Should I get rid of the C/OW books?

Get rid of the one with rust yesterday. thumbsup2.gif

Personally, I don't care about page quality too much. I'd rather have the higher grade books with lower page quality than lower grade books with higher page quality. I mean, it's in a slab...so the page quality doesn't matter too much anyway. Really, the only time page quality becomes a major factor is if you're planning to read the book.

Thanks for your input!

I wish I could scan the book for you to see- It is a beautiful book with sharp corners, perfect spine, near- perfect back cover. There is no wear whatsoever. I purchased the book from the guys at Motor City Comics at a recent show. They graded it at 9.2. And they are excellent!

The rust is ever so slight.

Good point. Why do you think so many collectors stay away from the notorious "cream" category when it comes to late Silver Age and early Bronze Age comic books especially as you point out- the books are slabbed?

Good point. Why do you think so many collectors stay away from the notorious "cream" category when it comes to late Silver Age and early Bronze Age comic books especially as you point out- the books are slabbed?

The longevity of a book is directly tied to page quality. A cream book won't become brittle in a week, but given a few years in less than perfect storage conditions and you could have real trouble. Superior page quality is one of the hallmarks of a truly high grade book. PQ, structural grade and production quality should factor in when it comes to overall condition. A book with cream or worse pages should never go above a VF/NM in my mind. confused-smiley-013.gif

Why do you think so many collectors stay away from the notorious "cream" category when it comes to late Silver Age and early Bronze Age comic books especially as you point out- the books are slabbed?

To state the obvious, because comics have pages with story and art, as well as covers. The beauty and preservation status of the interior of a book is reflected in the page quality - those with substantial loss of paper whiteness have art that doesn't look as good as when the book was new. At least, those of us collecting comics, and not simply covers, think this is important.

Personally, I don't care about page quality too much. I'd rather have the higher grade books with lower page quality than lower grade books with higher page quality. I mean, it's in a slab...so the page quality doesn't matter too much anyway. Really, the only time page quality becomes a major factor is if you're planning to read the book.

Yes but when you sell those cream paged books expect to get much less. Personally I don't give SA books with cream pages much attention unless its an early key and even then I will usually pass on it. I think you'll find that a lot of collectors shun books with cream pages. GA books I could care less if they are cream pages or not.

Yes but when you sell those cream paged books expect to get much less. Personally I don't give SA books with cream pages much attention unless its an early key and even then I will usually pass on it. I think you'll find that a lot of collectors shun books with cream pages. GA books I could care less if they are cream pages or not.

While all of the points made above and within this thread are valid, we are talking about "cream to off-white" pages here. There is nothing critically wrong with C/OW pages. sumo.gif It is unfortunate they carry a stigma at all. Typically, pages that grade C/OW are not brittle, and many high grade books have C/OW pages.

Obviously, higher grade PQ is desirable, but I for one collector, accept C/OW as a baseline. Cream or Tan on the other hand 893naughty-thumb.gif

In short - keep them all - they all sound like great books.

cheers!

While all of the points made above and within this thread are valid, we are talking about "cream to off-white" pages here. There is nothing critically wrong with C/OW pages. sumo.gif It is unfortunate they carry a stigma at all. Typically, pages that grade C/OW are not brittle, and many high grade books have C/OW pages.

Obviously, higher grade PQ is desirable, but I for one collector, accept C/OW as a baseline. Cream or Tan on the other hand 893naughty-thumb.gif

In short - keep them all - they all sound like great books.

cheers!

i tend to agree with David............

a few years back, i could have cared less. now, i've noticed how important it seems to be for HG collectors and have been influenced in my thinking. it's clear that PQ factors into price pretty significantly.

for some reason (dark dresser drawer despite no comic bags for 20 years??) my collection stayed pretty "white". i think out of 250 subs, i 've gotten back about 6 books with Cr/ow.........and then there are books kept in the same precise storage conditions by the same manufacturer, released approx the same time (1962-1963), that have White pages.

i'll never understand.................... confused.gif

bumpit.gif

Trying to get some actual "Grading/Resto" Issues back to the top.

PLEASE can we have a break with the "Grade my _________" threads? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

(Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking at the scans and hearing everyone's comments, but they are getting ridiculous)

bumpit.gif

PLEASE can we have a break with the "Grade my _________" threads? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

(Don't get me wrong, I enjoy looking at the scans and hearing everyone's comments, but they are getting ridiculous)

You mean, yo have a problem with one guy posting 13 threads about grading 13 different comics? 27_laughing.gif

As far as C/OW pages, I'd go with Diva and say that C/OW is not so bad, as they are VERY close to off white looking pages, and some books can even go either way....if you love the books and can afford to, keep 'em!!

bumpit.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Some collectors don't care as much about the page quality, some don't care about date stamps, some don't care about quality of production as long as the label has the grade they want on it.

The bottom line is that everyone needs to determine what they want out of their books.

No one should just "get rid" of a book like it's going to corrupt the rest of the books in your collection.

I rarely buy Cream to Off-White books because I'm a big pedigree fan and therefore very big on the "state of preservation" of a book (which PQ is a main factor).

But to answer what I believe is the real question

Do Cream to Off-White pages sell for less, I say YES. But if they sell for 25% less then the same book with Off-White pages, I'm going to say that 10 years from now, the spread will be the same. I'm not sure I could say that about buying FN books instead of NM.

Ok NIkos,

You've officially scared me away from ever purchasing one of your comics.

You're twisted like a french braid.

lol

I don't know CD . . . what exactly is that woman in your avatar doing? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif893whatthe.gif

er . . . not that there's anything wrong with that! blush.gif

bumpit.gif

screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif

Why is this screwy.gifscrewy.gifscrewy.gif?