• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Showing off your comics to non comicbook people?
5 5

105 posts in this topic

I don't usually show my statue / comic room to people unless they actually show an interest in comics or really want to see it.  When I did show it to people who didn't have an interest, I usually got the same comments like "cool" or "awesome", but that was about it. The next question was usually "How much is all this stuff worth?" or "Why do you spend your money on this stuff?" The second question irks me to no end. I don't ask why about your cool stock portfolio or Funkos, so mind your business ... you buy what you like, I'll buy what I like, end of story.

I once had an incident with my wife's cousin. He really wanted to see my room, which is cool. However, he's very touchy and ended up breaking one of my Bowen mini busts. He said sorry and that was it. My wife could see the rage on my face and quickly stepped in. She de-escalated the situation and told me that she would re-buy it for me. I told her that wasn't the point, he should pay for it. She didn't want any problems, so I let it go. He is no longer welcome in my room. 

One of the coolest people to actually see my room is actually my wife's teacher friend. She saw the room and said "Wow! these are great! Do you have BA #12 or Batman #181? I love to see one of those up close." She knew what she was talking about. :)

Here are a couple pics ... it is a WIP at the moment.

IMG_4487.JPG

IMG_4488.JPG

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

Sahweet! @an99 That's a lot of Bowen Goodness!! 

I didn't realize that there was a Wendigo available :whee: 

9 minutes ago, an99 said:

I don't usually show my statue / comic room to people unless they actually show an interest in comics or really want to see it.  When I did show it to people who didn't have an interest, I usually got the same comments like "cool" or "awesome", but that was about it. The next question was usually "How much is all this stuff worth?" or "Why do you spend your money on this stuff?" The second question irks me to no end. I don't ask why about your cool stock portfolio or Funkos, so mind your business ... you buy what you like, I'll buy what I like, end of story.

I once had an incident with my wife's cousin. He really wanted to see my room, which is cool. However, he's very touchy and ended up breaking one of my Bowen mini busts. He said sorry and that was it. My wife could see the rage on my face and quickly stepped in. She de-escalated the situation and told me that she would re-buy it for me. I told her that wasn't the point, he should pay for it. She didn't want any problems, so I let it go. He is no longer welcome in my room. 

One of the coolest people to actually see my room is actually my wife's teacher friend. She saw the room and said "Wow! these are great! Do you have BA #12 or Batman #181? I love to see one of those up close." She knew what she was talking about. :)

Here are a couple pics ... it is a WIP at the moment.

IMG_4487.JPG

IMG_4488.JPG

IMG_4489.JPG

IMG_4490.JPG

IMG_4491.JPG

On 11/27/2019 at 4:45 PM, XxSpideyxX said:

With the holidays upon us, many of us will have friend and family around.

Do you ever feel compelled to show off your collection to non comicbook/superhero fans?  If so, how do you present your books?  How do you talk about them?

How do you answer the inevitable question of ‘how much is that worth?’ 

After all, part of the joy in collecting is sharing that with others.  But how do you do so without either boring your audience to tears or boiling it down to cost/value?

I don't show my collection to ANYONE.  Even if I trust them, I don't trust anyone that they might tell about it.  Got robbed once.  Never again.  At least not without me putting the thief in a body bag.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:15 AM, Robot Man said:

Some of the most fun and rewarding time I have spent in life is the pursuit of the “clutter” I have amassed. The “thrill of the hunt” and the memories far out weigh the objects themselves...

Agree completely. Buying the stuff is usually so much more fun than owning the stuff, especially considering that most of it ends up bagged and boarded and sitting in a box. Art that I have framed is the exception, as I can get a little charge out of those whenever I walk by.