• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading standards Star Wars 1
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I recently had my star wars 1 graded at another company who must not be named. It came back as 8.0. But when I compare it to other 8.0’s it looks nicer to me. The graders notes say: spine stress breaks color, foxing top back cover, tinytr bottom left front cover. Here’s some pics.

6386DF16-281B-42F9-8F38-A1CECE974C85.thumb.jpeg.67a7405fe8b9cca2e823ec8340be81f1.jpeg6B292A8E-D441-43BA-94D3-0D4C0174BE09.thumb.jpeg.8191a7c5dec64b8e145f2d0b8a959fb0.jpeg

I think 8.0 is reasonable but when I look at other 8.0’s they look worse imo.  For example these from ebay. To me their spines and corners look worse.

AD0E8490-41E6-4611-BBD3-0A5C63C756C9.thumb.png.3b88ca460c2ed3f91f0a0c4f2524bd32.png

6F5EFCE1-25D2-43AA-8D2D-B77B2F5CF75B.thumb.jpeg.68e51decb1f85a7393dd7eb836ae89c5.jpeg

Am I being too lenient on my book?  Do you think mine was graded correctly? (I hope you can zoom in on these pics, I can post more if any of you want me to). Thanks for taking the time to look at my post 🙂

15 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Yes it’s a can’t buy can’t sell book (clever 🙂). Do you think I might get an upgrade going to cgc?

I dont think so tears are not liked... and foxing affects high grades from what I've learned. 

also 100% agree with Lion on this I was thinking the exact same thing.

17 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

This looks like it's a "Can't Buy, Can't Sell" holder (correct me if I'm wrong). 

I think it's the foxing and the tear that knocked this down...very typical for the grade.  

I hope this helps, and Happy Thanksgiving!  

:golfclap:nice lol 

19 hours ago, BrooksR said:

Yes it’s a can’t buy can’t sell book (clever 🙂). Do you think I might get an upgrade going to cgc?

I actually got that one from Bob Storms (thanks Bob, and happy Thanksgiving!)  :grin:

I think it's a nice looking book. A lot depends on the amount of foxing and the length of the tear. 

In any event, thanks for posting and happy Thanksgiving...

1 minute ago, BrooksR said:

Yikes... :S

That's simply the market. Voldemort/PGX are niche markets in a niche market in another niche market. CGC is the equivalent of 'cash is king' in the graded comic market.

I'm not an expert, but I'd venture a guess that you'd have an easier time selling it raw. Not sure if you'd be in the red on this book doing that, but that's just my guess.

2 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

Is Voldemort in the same league as PGX? I had heard they were legitimate. :| 

No. They're leagues ahead of PGX. They're just not in CGC's league. They have a lot of work to do.

Edit: They're respectable, but the market for Voldemort and PGX seem about the same to me. Not sure why that is. Could be the 'flip' potential of comics in PGX cases.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus