• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I restore every time ?

5 posts in this topic

Hello all. I've recently started grading and it appears to me that unless the comic being submitted appears pristine it should be restored and pressed due the subtle negative attributes that could degrade a comic's rating that might not be apparent? So essentially having all comics restored and pressed just incase?

Do you agree or not? It appears you can easily get another grade in some cases. 

Is there any conspirator theorist that think this is what CGC wants you to do. :nyah:

Thanks!

Your question covers a lot of ground. 

Professional restoration is really expensive. The few places doing professional restoration recommend not restoring books past the early silver age and that the books being restored should be worth at least a grand as is. Purple labels negatively impact the value of a book - by a lot. So most believe that restoration should be avoided. CCS (the in-house pressing and restoration service of CGC) spends more time REMOVING restoration than they do restoring books. 

Pressing is not considered - by itself - restoration.  The bottom line on pressing is that on the right books with the right (good) defects pressing can improve the appearance and grade of a comic. But there is no point in pressing a comic book that doesn't need to be pressed. And no financially sound reason to press a comic book that might look a bit better after pressing but will not improve in grade because of the existence of defects that will hold the books grade down. 

11 hours ago, Xadus24 said:

Hello all. I've recently started grading and it appears to me that unless the comic being submitted appears pristine it should be restored and pressed due the subtle negative attributes that could degrade a comic's rating that might not be apparent? So essentially having all comics restored and pressed just incase?

Do you agree or not? It appears you can easily get another grade in some cases. 

Is there any conspirator theorist that think this is what CGC wants you to do. :nyah:

Thanks!

giphy.gif