• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pep 22 Before and After

24 posts in this topic

I bought this book about a year ago. Sorry the pix are a bit fuzzy, but I think you can get a decent idea of what it looked like. The major issue to my way of thinking was that the cover was detached and there were several tears that had the potential to get worse.

897555-pep22vefore.jpg

897555-pep22vefore.jpg.2e6c7478c0c33f7fdc164d9f96e5d450.jpg

Here's his report of what work was done

897560-pepsheet.jpg

That's a pretty comprehensive looking report card since it provides both the pre-resto and post-resto grade in addition to the actual work performed on the book.

Wish there was some way to permanently "attached" these reports to the books in order to provide a clear and definitive restoration trail. Would certainly help to avoid all of the current controversy and put some integrity back into the marketplace.

BTW: What was the turnaround time on the book and was the resto fee based upon a flat fee or based upon a percentage increase in the perceived value of the book?

What a difference!

I hope to have a SUSPENSE #3 before and after thread sometime in the hopefully not too distant future.

Will it have a recreated centerfold?

If the restorationist can create one, yes. If not, no big deal. I really just want the overall look of the book to be more attractive, the cover is the main reason I purchased it.

Wow, I am suprised he graded it a FN. It looked a little nicer than that to my eyes. It was really tight and sharp and bright. I wish all my FNs were that pretty.

I also noticed he didn't mention the tear seals he did inside the book, but perhaps that falls under edge support?

Are you planning on CGCing the book? What do you think they will grade it at if you do?

Congratulations! I think you did the right thing. You've preserved the book and made it very appealing to look at through the mylar. Gosh, Matt does nice work!How's the page quality?

The page quality is OK--Cream to off-white.

I may have it CGC'd when I get my next Collector's Society Coupons, I'm in no hurry, though. I think it will come back as a 5.5. The thing that will kill the grade are the long creases in the front cover. They're hard to see, but you know how CGC is with creases... frown.gif

The cover gloss or at least the colors seem to jump out after Matt did the work. Is this due to a poor initial scan, result of solvent cleaning or just a major touch up job? Also, I take it this would grade as "extensive" resto?

Mostly the color "change" is due to scan quality. The book does look a bit better post cleaning, though. The restoration is definitely extensive, however it's extensive due to lots of small repairs rather than any huge ones. I've always had a problem with books with half their covers replaced, for example--they just don't look "real."

I notice that pre- resto the Shields costume and the logo seemed to be that faded orange that comics get after too much exposure to light and post- resto they are a deep red. Is that from color touching or the cleaning process?

It's not from color touch--some is from cleaning and some is due to differences in scan quality. It definitely has deeper colors since it was cleaned though smile.gif