• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk 181

20 posts in this topic

again look at a good press and cleaning, not sure if its sunshadow or grit/dirt so with that assuming sunshadow I would say 7.0 range as there looks like a tiny stain on FC at top right corner. 

as I read your post in Newbie I am assuming a lot of the books you inherited have this time of dust or grime can you give some inside into their storage as it might help you better understand the collection grade condition overall then and could help expedite your knowledge of your inherited collection along. 

nice books so far. 

I don't know how big the penalty for the check mark at the upper left corner will hurt. The storage issues with the discoloration prevalent in this group is again as a storage issue. Cleaning would be a start.. Based on the back cover whiteness, I imgine the page whiteness is really nice. 7.0-7.5

I’m with Glassman10 about the check mark. Could hurt a bit on how deep the impression from the pen goes into the cover when looked at under the right lighting and angle. Safe 7.0 for sure but other factors when in hand could go slightly higher

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

again look at a good press and cleaning, not sure if its sunshadow or grit/dirt so with that assuming sunshadow I would say 7.0 range as there looks like a tiny stain on FC at top right corner. 

as I read your post in Newbie I am assuming a lot of the books you inherited have this time of dust or grime can you give some inside into their storage as it might help you better understand the collection grade condition overall then and could help expedite your knowledge of your inherited collection along. 

nice books so far. 

As far as storage... there was some attempt at preservation/storage later in the collection (wrapped in plastic or paper and in boxes), but most of these early ones were just sitting in stacks all these years. Not sure whether it’s dust/dirt or from the sun... but the same issues are visible on a lot of them. 

All of these images are scans, and it’s interesting to see how some of the discoloration looks much darker/worse in the scans than it does to the eye, while some of the wear and tear doesn't show as much in the scans as it does in person. 

Is the recommendation to send to CGC to be cleaned/pressed etc.? I’ve also seen a name of someone who it sounds like can do some of this floating around the forums... 

Is the recommendation to send to CGC to be cleaned/pressed etc.? I’ve also seen a name of someone who it sounds like can do some of this floating around the forums... 

if your aim to to slab and sell them, then I would definitely look into having your expensive books evaluated  for cleaning & pressing.

7 minutes ago, Cherami said:

As far as storage... there was some attempt at preservation/storage later in the collection (wrapped in plastic or paper and in boxes), but most of these early ones were just sitting in stacks all these years. Not sure whether it’s dust/dirt or from the sun... but the same issues are visible on a lot of them. 

All of these images are scans, and it’s interesting to see how some of the discoloration looks much darker/worse in the scans than it does to the eye, while some of the wear and tear doesn't show as much in the scans as it does in person. 

ok that's what I thought.. personally from what you have said I would first tackle the issue of storing those books properly as it looks like the more valuable stuff has gotten what is called a dust/sun shadow which occurs when a portion of the book is exposed due to stacking the books and it was exposed to the air/dirt or potential sun. With the sun if it looks yellow you have to becareful as it could cause the edges of the paper to become brittle and deteriorate.

Personally I would do a bit of research get some comic boxes bag and board. recommend mylar and acid free backing boards for long term storage, if your selling quickly then poly bags and boards (poly bags last several years only before they start to deteriorate)  and acid free everything lol. store them correctly and then sell them off bit by bit. sun shadow as far as I know can't be removed from a comic unless you get into restoration and most don't want restoration and it hurts value for restoration. 

here is a link to a discussion on dust shadow I believe @Marvelmaniac has a good description of it. 

Probably a silly question, as I’ve already begun bagging/boarding them (and then ran out and need to get more...) but assuming the goal is to handle them as little as possible... what scans/images do I need to take of them before I do this and put them away somewhere safe until they’re sold? Is a scan of the front/back sufficient? Is there a reason to take photos as well? Photos of any interior pages or just ones with defects? 

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

I don't know how big the penalty for the check mark at the upper left corner will hurt. The storage issues with the discoloration prevalent in this group is again as a storage issue. Cleaning would be a start.. Based on the back cover whiteness, I imgine the page whiteness is really nice. 7.0-7.5

Check mark is a concern of mine as well (as its an obvious thing even a newbie would notice 😂

It's hard to anticipate. Some markings made at the newsstand don't cause heart failure and others will  cause substantial downgrade. The dusting is a greater issue for me. Drawing glasses onto Spiderman is a definite downer. One AF15 looked perfect and had a BB gun hole in it. 

I ordered my bags and boards and storage boxes on Amazon. Garmin was the brand name. Make sure you get big enough bags. For 2000 books, it will be a pile of money to do them all. Get the boxes as well. If these books had been stored better, you'd have a lot less heartburn. Keep them away from areas that can flood or are too hot. I scanned all of them, just the fronts and should have done both. 

Edited by Glassman10

3 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

It's hard to anticipate. Some markings made at the newsstand don't cause heart failure and others will  cause substantial downgrade. The dusting is a greater issue for me. Drawing glasses onto Spiderman is a definite downer. One AF15 looked perfect and had a BB gun hole in it. 

I ordered my bags and boards and storage boxes on Amazon. Garmin was the brand name. Make sure you get big enough bags. For 2000 books, it will be a pile of money to do them all. Get the boxes as well. If these books had been stored better, you'd have a lot less heartburn. Keep them away from areas that can flood or are too hot. I scanned all of them, just the fronts and should have done both. 

It would certainly have been ideal if the comics had been stored differently for the last 50 years, but I’m just happy to have this collection at all. 

Which boxes do you use?

Any suggestions for now to store annuals, etc. that don’t fit in the Silver Age bags? 
Thanks 😁

Bags come in a number of sizes. So do boxes, long and short. I preferred short which kept the weight down. I amgine someone here can give a link for the boxes etc. If not, I can find it and PM it to you. They hold books upright, have a lid like bankers boxes.  Annuals would fit in the looser bags. early stuff was larger, recent ones are far smaller, so you need to choose. It's a learning curve.