• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 18 with date stamp 2 months bedfore release

18 posts in this topic

Actually, that's the right date for newsstand appearance.  GA comics usually provided a lead time of well over a month to help extend shelf life against returns.

Mike's Amazing World of Comics which is a good data resource listed the approximate release date as Sept. 28th...

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=590

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

8 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Actually, that's the right date for newsstand appearance.  GA comics usually provided a lead time of well over a month to help extend shelf life against returns.

Mike's Amazing World of Comics which is a good data resource listed the approximate release date as Sept. 28th...

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=590

:tink:

:whatthe: Wow. Thank you Cat (thumbsu I now oh you 2 dark draft beers :tink:

6 minutes ago, Primetime said:

It was quite common to have a 1-2 month newsstand appearance prior to the cover date for golden age comics. Silver age seemed to have a 2-3 month gap. 

Confused the heck out of me as a kid collecting back issues.

7 minutes ago, Primetime said:

That would be :insane: for sure. 

Trying to figure out what volume meant-like most were volume one,sometimes a two-but others had volume 28 for example and I just couldn't get it.We're talking,eleven,twelve years old here,no internet and not a lot of folk to ask.I loved copper dating in summer,because issues I'd missed were likely still on sale in general stores/cottage country a month or so late.

The dates were important to me because I tried to figure out what year stuff had started by counting back six,twelve...life was so much easier when I got my first Overstreet at age twelve!(19)

21 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Trying to figure out what volume meant-like most were volume one,sometimes a two-but others had volume 28 for example and I just couldn't get it.We're talking,eleven,twelve years old here,no internet and not a lot of folk to ask.I loved copper dating in summer,because issues I'd missed were likely still on sale in general stores/cottage country a month or so late.

The dates were important to me because I tried to figure out what year stuff had started by counting back six,twelve...life was so much easier when I got my first Overstreet at age twelve!(19)

My first Overstreet was in 1983 but it was the magazine, newsprint version as the annual guide was too much for me back then :cry: 

I was more interested in cover price then the publishing months on my comics at that time :smile:

3 minutes ago, path4play said:

My baby.

img042.jpg

I’ve seen that copy before. It used to belong to another board member and then Reece had it.  Nice full date stamp and just a few days off the proposed on sale date of  Dec 1, 1939 here:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=592

34 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Volume numbers are the worst.  Most collectors prefer a simple, linear numbering system.  As a kid buying copies off the newsstand it probably didn’t matter much because readers could remember covers and monthly or bi-monthly progression, but annual volume numbering gives collector’s headaches. It’s much more fun to say, “Hey Billy, you remember that great cover or story in Unheralded Funnies number (fill in the blank)?” If you have to include volume whatever and issue, it becomes much too analytical and takes a lot of wind out of the discussion.  

Conversely, Timely did reintroduce some titles with new banners and/or themes to differentiate changes in books.  Mystic Comics comes to mind.  That kind of reintroduction via new volume numbering works much better than annually rebooting the numbering.

Edited by Cat-Man_America

7 minutes ago, Primetime said:

I’ve seen that copy before. It used to belong to another board member and then Reece had it.  Nice full date stamp and just a few days off the proposed on sale date of  Dec 1, 1939 here:

http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/features/comic.php?comicid=592

She's been around the block a few times hey...?  I still lover her.

8 minutes ago, Primetime said:

My first Overstreet was in 1983 but it was the magazine, newsprint version as the annual guide was too much for me back then :cry: 

I was more interested in cover price then the publishing months on my comics at that time :smile:

I lucked into a Christmas gift from an attentive family member-also received How to draw comics the Marvel way that year :cloud9: I didn't know there was magazine sized ones in 83!I rememner the 'updates' fondly lol 

Cover price was surely important to me!I started off mostly with 20 cent Gold Key,Charlton yard sale finds,but had stumbled on some 12cent Marvels(the world famous TTA 93 story :insane:) and a few dime covers,but for some reason I don't know,I always poo poohed 15 centers.When I joined here and saw Nickle Comics)mind BLOWN!

Sorry woowoo,all,I can fly right off topic,I know.

8 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Volume numbers are the worst.  Most collectors prefer a simple, linear numbering system.  As a kid buying copies off the newsstand it probably didn’t matter much because readers could remember covers and monthly or bi-monthly progression, but annual volume numbering gives collector’s headaches. It’s much more fun to say, “Hey Billy, you remember that great cover or story in Unheralded Funnies number (fill in the blank)?” If you have to include volume whatever and issue, it becomes much too analytical and takes a lot of wind out of the discussion.  

Conversely, Timely did reintroduce some titles with new banners and/or themes to differentiate changes in books.  Mystic Comics comes to mind.  That kind of reintroduction via new volume numbering works much better than annually rebooting the numbering.

Target Comics-so confusing,and Blue Bolt ,Airboy,Supersnipe....:p

And since you mentioned Mystic and I don't get enough chances to post my meager vol2#1 :x

mystic.thumb.jpg.5112a8ff900f272a01c904b25211adcf.jpg

25 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I lucked into a Christmas gift from an attentive family member-also received How to draw comics the Marvel way that year :cloud9: I didn't know there was magazine sized ones in 83!I rememner the 'updates' fondly lol 

Cover price was surely important to me!I started off mostly with 20 cent Gold Key,Charlton yard sale finds,but had stumbled on some 12cent Marvels(the world famous TTA 93 story :insane:) and a few dime covers,but for some reason I don't know,I always poo poohed 15 centers.When I joined here and saw Nickle Comics)mind BLOWN!

Sorry woowoo,all,I can fly right off topic,I know.

Here’s my copy of the Overstreet. As you can see, I read it to death but I still have it :x  Price listings were updates and focused more on silver to current at the time. No golden age in it. 

7E1CEC91-CF8C-4ED5-A6ED-A5CF711E2DCF.jpeg

@Primetime thanks for sharing,made my week!(I love,love stuff like this,more than comics,almost)

I love that you still have it,I love the tape even more!I kept mine like that too,with circles,stars,notations,checkmarks :cloud9: I have to dig them out of storage now,they're with 'important' stuff I don't look at too often.

I wonder if the first issue says Collectors Edition,I just noticed yours is number two. lol 

Edited by porcupine48

3 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

@Primetime thanks for sharing,made my week!(I love,love stuff like this,more than comics,almost)

I love that you still have it,I love the tape even more!I kept mine like that too,with circles,stars,notations,checkmarks :cloud9: I have to dig them out of storage now,they're with 'important' stuff I don't look at too often.

I wonder if the first issue says Collectors Edition,I just noticed yours is number two. lol 

(thumbsu glad to make you smile this holiday season. I fondly remember using masking tape to repair that issue too because I couldn’t find any scotch tape laying around. :idea: