• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell us what you really think, Marnin!

152 posts in this topic

Just received his latest sales email, hot off the "press":

Welcome to CollectorsAssemble.com, the NEWEST, GREATEST and ONLY home on the internet fully devoted to the FULL DISCLOSURE of the rampant, deceptive, and unethical practice of PRESSING RESTORATION!! For nearly 40 years, ComicCollectors.net has been specializing in ULTRA HIGH GRADE, INVESTMENT, PEDIGREE / NON-PEDIGREE GOLDEN-AGE, DARK-AGE, SILVER-AGE and BRONZE-AGE Vintage Comic Books providing the Deepest Inventory, the Most Consistently Tightest Grading and Customer Satisfaction to the Most Serious ComicCollectors on the worldwide web!! CollectorsAssemble.com contains only RAW comic books, while ComicCollectors.net features only CGC Certified comic books, (CGC Charter Member 0064.) Please enjoy the fabulous selection of predominantly UNCOMPROMISED comic books!!!

Thank you, Marnin Rosenberg

Asking ridiculous prices for raw high grade books (that may or may not grade out if certified) that are well above that of their CGC counterparts....dealer trend of the present and future?

His prices on those MASS FFs are out of this world...and the grading looks a little suspect....

Hey, disagreeing with a dealers pricing and grading is nothing new. What's fascinating to me is here you have a dealer of note, advertising and discussing some of the badly pressed books in his inventory. I hate to see good books mashed.........look at some of these....it's like a primer on what can go wrong. The guy is trying, and I give him full credit for that!

Strange Tales #88

This one is particularly objectionable! Ouch.....I cry for this book!

Strange Tales #94

Tales of Suspense #27

Take a look at these and tell me what you think.

Brad

Hey, disagreeing with a dealers pricing and grading is nothing new. What's fascinating to me is here you have a dealer of note, advertising and discussing some of the badly pressed books in his inventory. I hate to see good books mashed.........look at some of these....it's like a primer on what can go wrong. The guy is trying, and I give him full credit for that!

Strange Tales #88

This one is particularly objectionable! Ouch.....I cry for this book!

Strange Tales #94

Tales of Suspense #27

Take a look at these and tell me what you think.

Brad

foreheadslap.gif Sure, and it's a bunch of decent pre-hero books that got butchered! Oh, the humanity!!!!

Well, I would think there could be more than one reason for the wave...but yeah, that seems to be at least an initial indication. Damn ugly isn't it!

I found a book in a slab on ebay this week with the same pattern, but grandpa here lost the link. Gotta look for it.

Brad

doh! Sure, and it's a bunch of decent pre-hero books that got butchered! Oh, the humanity!!!!

I'm sorry Steve....I should have warned you! I know you (like me) are very sensitive to pre-hero butchery! 893whatthe.gif

i'd like confirmation about that whole "waves at the spine seem to indicate pressing" theory.

anyone? bueller? bueller? buuuuuueeeeeelllllllerr? (sorry, that flick was on last weekend)

OK, this might be a silly question as I don't really pay attention to pressing issues, but, if there is a wave pattern on the book, does this mean it could be pressed?

No, it is more likely caused by humidity/moisture damage. I got an Action 243 from Colmore Comics and an Action 242 from Metro that had waves like those -- they were from nice 50s DC collections that had been exposed to high humidity.

It would take a really poor pressing job to wind up with waves like that.

OK, this might be a silly question as I don't really pay attention to pressing issues, but, if there is a wave pattern on the book, does this mean it could be pressed?

No, it is more likely caused by humidity/moisture damage. I got an Action 243 from Colmore Comics and an Action 242 from Metro that had waves like those -- they were from nice 50s DC collections that had been exposed to high humidity.

That's what I thought it was before I read this thread. Hmm, I wonder if I can have the waves removed? Anyone know any good pressing techniques?

I keed, I keed. angel.gif

Exactly. You screw up a couple books before you get really good at it. Did you read Marnin's detailed explanations on the links I posted?

According to Marnin, it's not just the ripples, it's a number of characterstics.

THE THING PROTOTYPE ISSUE. Another PRESSED!! iHop! I believe you all should be able to very clearly see the contracted waves along the spine, the pressed out top overhang, and the flattened color-paper break creases at the bottom right hand corner, all on the front cover. Bookmark this scan as a model to determine just some of the many ways to spot all the non-disclosed amateur press jobs currently in your collections.

st94.jpg

Is this caused by humidity? foreheadslap.gif

Yep. Another botched flatty. Obviously once a very nice Bethlehem copy, was literally a NM- copy with only a 2 1/2" paper-color break crease running vertically up along the base of the f/c spine, (a VF-.) Then the dope figured, "Daaa, I can press this out!" Then, while trying to accomplish this, Mr. Non-Skilled Pressing Genius probably crimped the entire back cover, causing a book length verticle paper break crease along the b/c spine, thus another childhood treasure forever butchered.

st88back.jpg