• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell us what you really think, Marnin!

152 posts in this topic

For the record, I've never heard you admit you were wrong about a dang thing on these boards.

I have over 11,000 posts. Are you sure you read them ALL? poke2.gif

I'm having some of my law clerks go through them, as well as index them by topic, hyperbole and insult.

poke2.gif

Sweet! Can I get a copy of that? headbang.gif

Sure, but I need to be reimbursed the $150/hr for their time. makepoint.gif

27_laughing.gif I knew you were going to say that. By the way, you pay your law clerks $300K per year? hail.gif Or is that just the pie-in-the-sky rate you ask your clients to pay you for their time, while you pay them $40K per year? poke2.gif

lol I knew you were going to say that. By the way, you pay your law clerks $300K per year? hail.gif Or is that just the pie-in-the-sky rate you ask your clients to pay you for their time, while you pay them $40K per year? poke2.gif

I actually try to avoid paying them anything at all. They volunteer to work for a famous lawyer on high-profile cases. acclaim.gif

yay.gifheadbang.gifscrewy.gif

I am not a shill....

Mushroom died as a result of his comic passion being removed from his soul and he will never come back.

Batfiend couldn't give a rat's a*r*s*e.

So let me get this straight, you no longer like comics and have no continuing connection to the hobby, but you have so little else to do with your life that you want to just hang out in a comics message board for no other reason than to give people a hard time? Sorry, Mushroom, I used to think you were okay, notwithstanding your FDQ exit, but this is just pathetic.

what happened to mushroom? i must've missed that one. confused-smiley-013.gif

For the record, I've never heard you admit you were wrong about a dang thing on these boards.

There was one time, but Scott was ill, so he can be forgiven.

link tongue.gif

Wow. Great find.

Are you available as a law clerk? You're even better!

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

There was one time, but Scott was ill, so he can be forgiven.

link tongue.gif

Wow. Great find.

Are you available as a law clerk? You're even better!

27_laughing.gif

As long as I get paid in high grade Golden Age comics!

Without reading the whole littany of posts on pressing or Marnin's position on such.

I see this as Marnin expressing his dissatisfaction with the pressing job that was performed on the three initial books that he is selling. He did indicate that he was taking a "bath" on them.

I am left wondering if the numerous other books that he is selling are more steller example of pressing that do not require discussion or were unnoticed under his watchful eye.

Opinions?

I am not a shill....

Mushroom died as a result of his comic passion being removed from his soul and he will never come back.

So let me get this straight, you no longer like comics and have no continuing connection to the hobby, but you have so little else to do with your life that you want to just hang out in a comics message board for no other reason than to give people a hard time? Sorry, Mushroom, I used to think you were okay, notwithstanding your FDQ exit, but this is just pathetic.

and on that note and in the finest tradition of the drama queen I bid you and the boards a farewell. popcorn.gif

I am not a shill....

and on that note and in the finest tradition of the drama queen I bid you and the boards a farewell. popcorn.gif

Thanks. I missed this too. I rarely read the Bronze section. foreheadslap.gif

Anyway, come back Mush, we miss ya.

Years of experience does not equal skill. It especially does not lend itself to accuracy when the person we're talking about has a well-known axe to grind and is foaming at the mouth to find a few ostensibly pressed books in his inventory to set up as the "sacrificial lambs" so that he can declare the rest of his expensive inventory "press free." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bottom line is that I think Marnin has come up with a clever way to distinguish himself from his rivals on supposed "ethical" grounds, to give collectors solace about the fact that his inventory contains expensive non-CGC books, and to market his raw books as somehow "better" than everyone else's. And I think some of you guys are taking the bait hook, line, and sinker.

893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

Years of experience does not equal skill. It especially does not lend itself to accuracy when the person we're talking about has a well-known axe to grind and is foaming at the mouth to find a few ostensibly pressed books in his inventory to set up as the "sacrificial lambs" so that he can declare the rest of his expensive inventory "press free." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Bottom line is that I think Marnin has come up with a clever way to distinguish himself from his rivals on supposed "ethical" grounds, to give collectors solace about the fact that his inventory contains expensive non-CGC books, and to market his raw books as somehow "better" than everyone else's. And I think some of you guys are taking the bait hook, line, and sinker.

Not only that....but the advent of CGC and GPAnalysis also brought a standardization of the market that some dealers resented. Afterall....its a LOT harder to get a premium for a raw book, when the buyer is savy to what it would sell for in a comparable certified grade.

Dealers for years have made big bucks on the variance in people's grading tastes and skills...CGC killed that. A book is no longer a NM- to customer A, a VF/NM to customer B, or a VF+ to customer C...with Customer A being the most likely to pay the premium price. It's now just a CGC 9.0....and finding out what a comparable one sells for is as easy as signing onto GPAnalysis.

Marnin's pricing and marketing on the raw material seems to reflect that old mentaility. I understand his rationale, but doubt I'll be buying anything from him anytime soon.

Dealers for years have made big bucks on the variance in people's grading tastes and skills...CGC killed that. A book is no longer a NM- to customer A, a VF/NM to customer B, or a VF+ to customer C...with Customer A being the most likely to pay the premium price. It's now just a CGC 9.0...

....on Tuesday.....or it might be a 9.2 on Thursday....or it might be a 9.4 on Friday if it gets back from being inhouse pressed.

Open your eyes. hi.gif

Without reading the whole littany of posts on pressing or Marnin's position on such.

I see this as Marnin expressing his dissatisfaction with the pressing job that was performed on the three initial books that he is selling. He did indicate that he was taking a "bath" on them.

I am left wondering if the numerous other books that he is selling are more steller example of pressing that do not require discussion or were unnoticed under his watchful eye.

Opinions?

If he had any inkling whatsoever the book has been pressed or otherwise fooled with, he notes it. Without a doubt.

I don't think Marnin is acting any differently than any other dealer who believes his wares to be better than another dealers. Nor, given that I know him personally (which if you want to think that makes me biased, go right ahead, but I know a lot of people and don't hesitate to comment favorably or negatively on anyone), is this simply a means by which to market himself differently from anyone else.

Marnin is a true believer in what he is doing. He wears his opinions on his sleeves, which sometimes gets him in trouble. But there is no hidden objective or agenda or trick going on here. Unlike some other dealers who are selling you undisclosed pressed or restored books, or simply pricing their books high b/c they know they have the customer base.

Dealers for years have made big bucks on the variance in people's grading tastes and skills...CGC killed that. A book is no longer a NM- to customer A, a VF/NM to customer B, or a VF+ to customer C...with Customer A being the most likely to pay the premium price. It's now just a CGC 9.0...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....on Tuesday.....or it might be a 9.2 on Thursday....or it might be a 9.4 on Friday if it gets back from being inhouse pressed.

Open your eyes.

True Brad:

But you miss the whole point of CGC, which is to "Pay for what you get".

If I could always sell a raw book for the grade I bought it in, then I wouldn't need CGC. But that's not the case at all.

I bought books from Marnin, PCE and many other dealers prior to CGC and honestly, maybe one book has been graded HIGHER by CGC then the grade sold to me by the dealer. And I would say half came back significantly lower then their original grade (i.e NM comes back as VF of VF+).