• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Understanding Variant Covers to a Newbie

4 posts in this topic

I'm not super into comic collecting however a few have piqued my interest in their appearance. For example Adam Hughes, artgerm and Joshua Middleton variants are especially beautiful.

1. What would help me the most in finding which comics have variant covers or would I have to go through each one individually? For example, Batgirl #23 has a Middleton variant. How would I know which other variants are out there for this issue? I stumbled across this site: https://goldenapplecomics.com/. Are there any others?

2. Is the inside content/storyline the same for each variant cover?

3. If a certain issue has a variant cover, is it safe to assume the artist has a variant cover for all issues in the volume?

Thank you.

Edited by jou13

Comic Vine is another source I use to search artists and try and figure out which books they did on a particular title... https://comicvine.gamespot.com/batgirl/4050-92542/object-appearances/4040-9844/ 

Maybe Key Collector app too. Lots of collectors and speculators use this site to keep track of hawt books and industry scuttlebutt. I have not used this app, but it seems requisite for hawt variants. 

Yes. Interiors would be the same for the type of variants that you mentioned (often, with Lau or Middleton, they are termed non-ratio variants and can be ordered from the distributor versus earned via ordering ratios / incentives). In some cases, retailer exclusive variants, which are ordered directly from a shop / retailer, are labeled 2nd printings (e.g. Spawn 301 Ross or Crain). 

Yes and no on the last question. These hot artists can switch titles (e.g. Middleton went from Aquaman to Batgirl?), miss the odd issue, etc. Lau (artgerm) has been pretty consistent with Supergirl. Hughes can pretty much do whatever he wants; he's one of those artists just printing money. 

Does comicbookdb still exist?

or try mycomicshop 

ebay searches too

On 1/4/2020 at 1:11 AM, jou13 said:

I'm not super into comic collecting however a few have piqued my interest in their appearance. For example Adam Hughes, artgerm and Joshua Middleton variants are especially beautiful.

1. What would help me the most in finding which comics have variant covers or would I have to go through each one individually? For example, Batgirl #23 has a Middleton variant. How would I know which other variants are out there for this issue? I stumbled across this site: https://goldenapplecomics.com/. Are there any others?

2. Is the inside content/storyline the same for each variant cover?

3. If a certain issue has a variant cover, is it safe to assume the artist has a variant cover for all issues in the volume?

Thank you.

1. I use MyComicShop to see which (and how many) variants are out there.

2. Yes.

3. No.