• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manhunt #12 Raw RARE sold for $3,351 ?!?
3 3

108 posts in this topic

On 6/4/2024 at 11:45 AM, Robot Man said:

Saw that. That seller had some very cool Canadian books. I really wanted that Brenda Starr with the date correction. I bid strong but was blown out of the water. First copy of that Manhunt I’ve seen for years. 

Was watching this as well. I've seen several copies circulate on ebay within the past year or so. Mycomicshop has a 3.5 up for sale.

I'm a big Whitney fan and love the cover, but man, is this book truly that rare to command such insane prices?

On 6/4/2024 at 12:11 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I find it weird how after so many decades there are only a handful of numerous Canadian issues and for years the general public had no idea they existed. What did they do with all these books? 

I would bet there are more tucked away somewhere forgotten and it's not this hen's tooth of a book they're making it out to be.

On 6/4/2024 at 9:14 AM, LadyDeath said:

I would bet there are more tucked away somewhere forgotten and it's not this hen's tooth of a book they're making it out to be.

Probably not that many as you might think. I use the Cap #74 as an example, 20-25 years ago Heritage listed a copy and I have seen 1, maybe 2 other copies since. For such a cool cover you’d think they would surface or be shown on these boards over the last 20 years ( but hasn’t ). 

On 6/4/2024 at 9:11 AM, Silver Surfer said:

I find it weird how after so many decades there are only a handful of numerous Canadian issues and for years the general public had no idea they existed. What did they do with all these books? 

The print runs were rediciously low and were simply not kept. Very scarce especially the Canada versions of US comics. Just a tiny amount of some of them still exist. 

On 6/4/2024 at 12:21 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Probably not that many as you might think. I use the Cap #74 as an example, 20-25 years ago Heritage listed a copy and I have seen 1, maybe 2 other copies since. For such a cool cover you’d think they would surface or be shown on these boards over the last 20 years ( but hasn’t ). 

Time will tell I guess. This copy of Manhunt has only been known to the collector's eye for not even 5 years yet.

On 6/4/2024 at 9:24 AM, LadyDeath said:

Time will tell I guess. This copy of Manhunt has only been known to the collector's eye for not even 5 years yet.

Will be interesting if this price drags another one out of the wood work. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 12:24 PM, LadyDeath said:

Yes, you're right, time will tell, but time has already told us that hundreds of similar books barely exist.   There's no reason to think this one is abundant.

Edited by Bronty

On 6/4/2024 at 12:29 PM, Silver Surfer said:

I love the rarity of these copies but these are not cheap and interest in these can be very hot and cold.

Feel the same. The 3.5 copy by Mycomicshop was now knocked down to $8,600 after being over $9K I believe.

Who knows how long it sits there. The colors on it also look wonky.

On 6/4/2024 at 12:31 PM, LadyDeath said:

Feel the same. The 3.5 copy by Mycomicshop was now knocked down to $8,600 after being over $9K I believe.

Sure.   I'll go so far as to say overpriced due to the novelty (as you mentioned, only been in the eyes of the marketplace for a while).   

On 6/4/2024 at 9:31 AM, LadyDeath said:

Most Canadian copies have poor registry, printing issues. I suspect they were slapped together on a shoestring budget. That Copy looks like it has an issue with rusty staples so that would give me pause at that price tag.

On 6/4/2024 at 12:44 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Most Canadian copies have poor registry, printing issues. I suspect they were slapped together on a shoestring budget. That Copy looks like it has an issue with rusty staples so that would give me pause at that price tag.

Poor girl had no time to adjust her lipstick while running from the crazed beekeeper suit guy.

CGC4281405-017_OBV.jpg

On 6/4/2024 at 3:37 PM, Bronty said:

frazetta and cole interiors never hurt either.   Still, for 10k in mid grade, ehhhhh.

True. Also wondering if that Whitney cover is lifted from a splash or elsewhere.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 4:52 PM, LadyDeath said:

True. Also wondering if that Whitney cover is lifted from a splash or elsewhere.

Good question, they did a lot of that on the post-war Bell Features books.

Edited by Bronty