• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK 162 cgc 9.8

60 posts in this topic

bob PM'd me re: my opinion of the book's spine, i guess we don't live in a free society after all.

Yeah, and if that was someone else's book with that spine, I'd bet he wouldn't touch it. smirk.gif

Yeah, and if that was someone else's book with that spine, I'd bet he wouldn't touch it.

Boy, talk about comic envy! I have mostly given up on this forum because of the petty BS, jealousy and anything else many of you come up with to make yourselves feel better. Do you think I would have priced the book at $1136? Do you know I placed the reserve solely on the speculation you forum members have written about this issue. I'm sure this record price will bring Hulk #162's out of the woodwork. Once again, I've put a goal out there for somebody to beat just like I was ridiculed when I sold a Hulk #181 CGC 9.4 for $700 in 2000. I'm not a Hulk fan, I wouldn't have bid on the book because I think 9.8 pricing is insane. I WON THE LOTTERY BOYS and I have you to thank for it.

Well you deserve it. I am with you on the prices paid for 9.8s - I could scream serentity now! Insanity later. You sure as hell didn't make anyone bid anything for the book - the winner even bid twice at the end to assure himself of the win. He may have bid $1500. I have seen some ridiculous numbers on books like this. for instance I have a 9.4 of a certain book and it is a Western Penn no less but was offered a 9.8 of the same book but for a price 7x what I paid for the 9.4! A lot of people pay these prices based on a book being the highest graded copy - but that is usually fleeting - which ends up with the value of the book also being fleeting. But it is a free market and nobody made anybody bid anything on this book - I broke the reserve and the price doubled after that!

bob

"comic envy" lol

u summed it up eloquently "petty BS,jealousy and anything else u come up with to make yourselves feel better"- it seems to me that some of these forum members need to get a life outside of comics sometimes!

i think bob overstreet had it correct from the start- a comics value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and foxycra wanted it BIG TIME!!

a comics value is whatever someone is willing to pay

exactly! previous sales can factor into it, whether a book is "hot",movies, etc, guide value...but it still comes down to what a person is willing to pay.

Wait a second, I have changed my mind. Let's blame Bob for this silly price on a 9.8. After all if folks can blame me and TomMurnane for that guy spending $40 k for that junk at Showcase, it is obviously Bob's fault that this guy paid what he did for this book. Had Bob not listed the book, none of this would have ever happened.

Bob,

Are you referring to my post? First of all Bob, I don't care that you got a good price. Good for you. Infact, go back to the beginning of the thread, where I predicted you'd get somewhere around $1200. The price didn't surprise me, and didn't bother me.

My post was in reference to the fact that you felt the need to PM supa, just because he commented on the fact that he thought the spine was ugly. I'm not going to get into an argument here, out of respect for the fact that Supa can come and talk about it if he wants, but I'd say PMing someone because they made a comment about the appearance of one of your books is petty BS. I'm sure others would agree, but no one will probably say anything.

Comic envy? If I want a comic, I have the ability to aquire it. Get off your little ego trip and don't assume that anyone who has a different opinion about your book is automatically envious.

u summed it up eloquently "petty BS,jealousy and anything else u come up with to make yourselves feel better"- it seems to me that some of these forum members need to get a life outside of comics sometimes!

Oh lord!

I'm all for capitalism, and if Bob got a good price, good for him. I was referring to his petty PM.

i think bob overstreet had it correct from the start- a comics value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it, and foxycra wanted it BIG TIME!!

You can go back and read former posts of mine. I've said things like this MANY times. So if you were refering to my Post, get your facts straight.

I just joined this forum to respond to this great thread!

I read these all the time and would not have known about this book if I didn't see this one! Yes, I agree with all of you that this price was "insane"!(guide $20!!) But, like all of you, I have sold/traded many books for "insane" prices. This past year for example I let go Spidey #11 cgc 9.4, # 9 cgc 9.6, # 7 cgc 9.4, # 8 cgc 9.6 to name a few. These were purchased about 8 years ago for much less.

Considering this Hulk 162, the reason I "wanted it badly" was the fact that my son, 11 years old LOVES Wendigo. His name is Paul, just like the guy who became Wendigo. We have memorized the book! He has liked him since he was about 6 when he would play that X-men arcade game forever with his brother to beat Wendigo along with Juggernaut,etc. I think over the years I have spent $ 1136 in quarters!

So you can see that Paul and I feel like we have "WON THE LOTTERY"!

I had tried to get that 162 double cover 9.6 but no luck there.

Anyway sorry for rambling and thanks for alerting Paul and I to this auction!!

Considering this Hulk 162, the reason I "wanted it badly" was the fact that my son, 11 years old LOVES Wendigo. His name is Paul, just like the guy who became Wendigo. We have memorized the book! He has liked him since he was about 6 when he would play that X-men arcade game forever with his brother to beat Wendigo along with Juggernaut,etc. I think over the years I have spent $ 1136 in quarters!

That's probably the best reason to buy a book that I've ever heard. Welcome to the forum, and congrats to you and your son. wink.gif

Congratulations and welcome. If you are happy with the book and comfortable with the purchase, then that is all that matters.

Sounds like you have a great reason for wanting the book, enjoy it. grin.gif