• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heritage auction, did anybody win anything they were after?

124 posts in this topic

I won nothin', which is exactly what I won the last sig auction, too.

Am I really a cheap bastahd? I don't think so...guess I just have no luck with these things. Dang all you deep pockets!

I really thought I'd walk away with something nice this time, too, given that there was so much great product going around this auction. I even sold a few GA books to fund what I thought was going to be a big bill for this auction. Ah well...

Was very surprising, the prices realized on a lot of books with Cr/Ow and Light tan/Ow and even Tan/Ow were much higher than I expected. I guess page quality on early silver really doesn't matter much. Nor should it in my opinion. CGC is very inexact on page quality. 2 of my recent resubs changed page quality, one went from OW all the way to White and the other went from OW/W to OW. But I did pick up the FF 13 9.0 and the JIM 89 8.0 which is the nicest looking 8.0 I've ever seen. Assuming of course that I didn't get outbid on the floor auction, but the Heritage site still lists my bids as winning bids so... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Was very surprising, the prices realized on a lot of books with Cr/Ow and Light tan/Ow and even Tan/Ow were much higher than I expected. I guess page quality on early silver really doesn't matter much. Nor should it in my opinion. CGC is very inexact on page quality. 2 of my recent resubs changed page quality, one went from OW all the way to White and the other went from OW/W to OW. But I did pick up the FF 13 9.0 and the JIM 89 8.0 which is the nicest looking 8.0 I've ever seen. Assuming of course that I didn't get outbid on the floor auction, but the Heritage site still lists my bids as winning bids so... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I got one of those Light Tan to OW page books....paid right around Guide for a sharp looking copy of a normally tough book. So between the last two Heritage auctions, I'm on the line for 2 books at about $1,050. I really thought I'd have a huge bill to pay after yesterday, but prices and reserves were pretty steady.

...I ended up with the Northland JLA #18 9.4,...among other things,...I almost didn't want to bid at all though,...I never did get a catalog and when I called up to inquire about it the woman at customer service was so nasty it turned me off,...her first response when I told her I never received one was "Did you pay for one, they cost $50.00" ,....then after looking up my account she said,... "Oh we did send one out,...it takes a while to get through the mail" ,...this was 10 days after everyone else got theirs.....and she refused to send another,...it really made me mad considering what I spend with them ona monthly basis

I actually expected to be outbid like I was with all those sweet JLA books in the May signature Auction,....

hi.gif

.... mad.gif...all of them?...

All of the ones I really wanted except the 9, 13 and one of the PCs in the 30s. But the 9 was a resub of a 9.4 into a 9.6, so I wasn't willing to bid the full amount I might've been willing to pay for a "real" 9.6 copy. I regret not going bigger after the 13, it was really solid with white pages, and probably even nicer than the PC copy, which is the other 9.4 copy in the census.

I got one of those Light Tan to OW page books....paid right around Guide for a sharp looking copy of a normally tough book.

Which one.

I would agree that the Cr/Ow or even Light Tan to Ow, didn't seem to hurt the final sale price as much as I thought.

That said, unlike some Cr/Ow books that have beautiful covers that you can't see any tanning, most in this auction seemed to have light tanning at the edges.

As I said on another post, I got the Strange Tales #101 CGC 9.0. That's it so far.

I'm high bidder on two GA books so we will see what happens.

I was the high bidder on this beauty for the internet bidding. It is a Pacific Coast pedigree. Since this is a Signature Auction, I will not know for a couple of days if I was outbid at the floor auction. So far, everything looks good but you never know.

817083050o.jpg

I won nothin', which is exactly what I won the last sig auction, too.

Am I really a cheap bastahd? I don't think so...guess I just have no luck with these things. Dang all you deep pockets!

I really thought I'd walk away with something nice this time, too, given that there was so much great product going around this auction. I even sold a few GA books to fund what I thought was going to be a big bill for this auction. Ah well...

I know I'm a cheap bastahd! hi.gif

There were several GA books I would have liked to own, but all went for much higher than I wanted to pay. They were the restored copies of Adventure 72, Captain America 75, Mystery Men 3. The only one even close to my price range was the CA 75. I had a bid of $225 early on, but it went for more than double. Worth it I'm sure, just more than I was willing to pay.

I have gotten many things and outbid on many more. The end bids are very high. When the extra 15% is added on, then the exchange to Canadian funds, then the postage then the tariffs at the border it becomes a game for the wealthy or for speculators. I am impressed that the gang at Heritage can convince people that their books are so valuable.