• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Comics #1, 1935 9.2 NM on Heritage

15 posts in this topic

While I agree that I've never seen that book look so nice, do you think the overall wear really constitutes a 9.2 grade? I'd have given this one about a VF.

Thoughts?

http://www.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=817&Lot_No=4484

Am I missing something? That book looks superb. I have no problem with a 9.2. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think overall the book looks pretty good but I guess the fact it is from 1935 and looks like it has yellowed over time makes it look worst. Does the middle staple look like rust has started to form on it?

The cover of the book is printed on regular newsprint, not cover stock like the GA, SA, and later books were. The paper started out a different color than white paper stock so it looks dingy naturally by comparison to other books printed on non-newsprint cover stock.

While I agree that I've never seen that book look so nice, do you think the overall wear really constitutes a 9.2 grade? I'd have given this one about a VF.

Thoughts?

Am I missing something? That book looks superb. I have no problem with a 9.2. confused-smiley-013.gif

My problem with the book has a lot more to do with the appearance of the back cover. Can't beat those big scans from Heritage. Still can't complain too much considering it is from way back in 1935 which was a big 70 years ago.

From a price point of view, would this be viewed as a sale for just over guide or a sale at a substantial discount to guide? Top of guide in this book is $20K in VF 8.0 condition while this over the top of guide copy at CGC 9.2 sold for $20.7K. confused-smiley-013.gif

Another point is that there seems to be quite a few nice copies of New Comics #1 showing up in auctions over the past few years, but no copies in any grade for New Comics #2. Any bets that a nice copy of #2 in grade would have no problems beating the guide price of roughly $7K. takeit.gif

Thoughts?

My problem with the book has a lot more to do with the appearance of the back cover. Can't beat those big scans from Heritage.

Hey Lou,

What are you seeing on the back cover? The scuff on the left side of the back cover looks like it's on the slab, not the book. And what looks like soiling is (I think) just ink that seeped through from the interior cover when it was printed, because the newsprint cover stock is not as heavily sized and is not heavily calendared with clay like GA or modern cover stock, so you see more bleed-through from the other side of the paper.

Thoughts?

My problem with the book has a lot more to do with the appearance of the back cover. Can't beat those big scans from Heritage. Still can't complain too much considering it is from way back in 1935 which was a big 70 years ago.

From a price point of view, would this be viewed as a sale for just over guide or a sale at a substantial discount to guide? Top of guide in this book is $20K in VF 8.0 condition while this over the top of guide copy at CGC 9.2 sold for $20.7K. confused-smiley-013.gif

Another point is that there seems to be quite a few nice copies of New Comics #1 showing up in auctions over the past few years, but no copies in any grade for New Comics #2. Any bets that a nice copy of #2 in grade would have no problems beating the guide price of roughly $7K. takeit.gif

I think it has to be considered as a substantial discount to guide price. I don't think it's that unusual in GA for a 9.2 that is highest graded to sell for double (or more) of an 8.0. To make an auction, you need two collectors that gotta have an item. Here, that was not the case and the seller might have done better via a fixed price sales venue.

Thoughts?

My problem with the book has a lot more to do with the appearance of the back cover. Can't beat those big scans from Heritage.

Hey Lou,

What are you seeing on the back cover? The scuff on the left side of the back cover looks like it's on the slab, not the book. And what looks like soiling is (I think) just ink that seeped through from the interior cover when it was printed, because the newsprint cover stock is not as heavily sized and is not heavily calendared with clay like GA or modern cover stock, so you see more bleed-through from the other side of the paper.

Scott;

I guess the overall discoloration of the back cover is just an no-go for me. I guess CGC does not really downgrade for this discoloration, although I personally feel this shows unappealing aging of the paper.

This white ad image is one of the standard back covers for pre-hero DC books from this time period. In making my purchasing decsions on these early books, I have always flipped the books over to the back cover since I have always found it a lot easier to notice defects and againg on clear white covers.

Like I said, still a very nice book altough I am used to the ones with the whiter covers. Maybe that's why I only have so very few of them in my collection.

Lou

Is Guide a meaningful concept in this context? No NC 1s exist in a condition remotely comparable to 9.2, so where does the Guide number come from? One or more of the Overstreet advisors' guess as to what a high grade copy would sell for? To take the Guide number seriously in this context would be to admit that Overstreet doesn't only have the right to collate sales information but to dictate a value by fiat.

I just about agree with FFB. It might be alittle soft maybe a 9.0 but definately no lower. With that being said if it were a 9.0 it would be a tight 9.0. The spine is clean the corners are still sharp (very sharp considering the age). The only reason I would down grade it to a 9.0 is shelf dust on the back cover. This has to be the nicest platinum age book I have ever seen