• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Needed: Cracks and other issues in cases just back from CGC

21 posts in this topic

Apologies if this is not the right forum--I couldn't find another one that seemed more appropriate.  I just got 7 books back from CGC, and when I inspected them closely I noticed some issues with the encapsulation.  Five of the slabs have two small (what appear to be) cracks on the left side, and all of them have a strange strip of something down the left side.  The "strip" is a line of bubble-like appearance, kind of like glue or something between the front and back of the slab.  It's pretty hard to capture these things in photos, but I've tried below.  

I compared these slabs to others I have, and they are definitely different.  Has anyone experienced anything like this?  Is it common? Should I be concerned and should I contact CGC about it?  I'm fairly new to this whole thing, so I want to be sure I'm not over-reacting.  I appreciate any suggestions or advice.

IMG_4095.thumb.jpeg.3e443d865c69c4c656271f3bd243241a.jpeg

IMG_4100.jpeg

IMG_4096.jpeg

IMG_4097.jpeg

IMG_4098.jpeg

IMG_4099.jpeg

Edited by crandmck
Clarification

>  Those aren't cracks. They're sides of the tabs used to assist the comic in not moving around inside the case.

Hi @theCapraAegagrus Thanks for your reply. 

It would be a relief if that were the explanation, but I'm fairly certain it's not because:

• These things (whatever they are) are not visible in any of the other cases I have (6+) or others I've seen.
  • They are irregular in shape and position, not straight and in the same location as they would be if they were intentional/part of the case design.
  • I think I can see the "tabs" you're talking about, in addition to these....

Rand

Edited by crandmck

1 minute ago, crandmck said:

>  Those aren't cracks. They're sides of the tabs used to assist the comic in not moving around inside the case.

Hi @theCapraAegagrus Thanks for your reply. 

It would be a relief if that were the explanation, but I'm fairly certain it's not because:

• These things (whatever they are) are not visible in any of the other cases I have (6+) or others I've seen.
  • They are irregular in shape, not straight as they would be if they were intentional/part of the case design.
  • I think I can see the "tabs" you're talking about, in addition to these....

Rand

• They're not in all cases.
  • They're intentionally irregular in shape.

@The Lions Den used to work for CGC. I am 100% certain that he will agree with me and put your mind at rest.

that's the wedge used to keep a book in place, generally they are used when the books thickness needs it based ont he slab cases size etc... it is determined by CGC based on thickness etc.. 

5 hours ago, Krismusic said:

that's the wedge used to keep a book in place, generally they are used when the books thickness needs it based ont he slab cases size etc... it is determined by CGC based on thickness etc.. 

The slab room usually makes this decision based on any number of factors, but it's usually because the book doesn't fit snugly into the inner well and there are no other alternatives...  :foryou:

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

@The Lions Den used to work for CGC. I am 100% certain that he will agree with me and put your mind at rest.

I appreciate your confidence in me; thank you. 

The wedge itself should be more visible from the back of the slab; this is done in an effort to maintain eye appeal. The only thing that should be visible from the front of the slab are those "tabs"...

Edited by The Lions Den

Thank you, @theCapraAegagrus, @The Lions Den, et. al.  I appreciate the benefit of your experience. 

Now that I look at it with this in mind, I can see what you're referring to.  I can see the "tab" from the back--it looks like just a piece of plastic inserted.

I have to say, it doesn't look great IMO.... and it's puzzling that they do it for some books but not others--In this batch I have different issues of the same title, where one has it and the other doesn't.  Weird.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

11 hours ago, crandmck said:

Thank you, @theCapraAegagrus, @The Lions Den, et. al.  I appreciate the benefit of your experience. 

Now that I look at it with this in mind, I can see what you're referring to.  I can see the "tab" from the back--it looks like just a piece of plastic inserted.

I have to say, it doesn't look great IMO.... and it's puzzling that they do it for some books but not others--In this batch I have different issues of the same title, where one has it and the other doesn't.  Weird.

You're welcome! 

There can be different reasons why the slab room chooses to give some books a wedge. I've had the same exact thing happen with two copies of the exact same book. I'd like to attribute it to one book being cut slightly different and therefore not fitting into the inner well the same way, but it could just depend upon the availability of a specific inner well. But as long as the book doesn't move around it's all good...

11 hours ago, crandmck said:

wow no shout out to me.... :sorry::roflmao:

4 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm sorry you're feeling a little underwhelmed...you always have good advice and I'm sure everyone appreciates it...

lol thanks.. I'm just messing around. As long as I can help someone that's all I care about or learn something new. 

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

wow no shout out to me.... :sorry::roflmao:

Sorry, @Krismusic no offense intended... thank you, too!  Just got lazy typing. 

I'm just happy to determine that there's nothing wrong with these slabs.

Is it safe to assume that this doesn't affect the value of these books? They are not high-grade or high-dollar books, and I don't plan on selling them any time soon, but of course it's something that I'd like to know.  At some point, I might like to upgrade these in my collection.

I realize that they are "only worth what someone will pay for them" but has anyone heard of this detracting from the value?

Thanks again... EVERYONE! :-D

31 minutes ago, crandmck said:

Is it safe to assume that this doesn't affect the value of these books? They are not high-grade or high-dollar books, and I don't plan on selling them any time soon, but of course it's something that I'd like to know.  At some point, I might like to upgrade these in my collection.

I realize that they are "only worth what someone will pay for them" but has anyone heard of this detracting from the value?

These tabs will have nothing to do with the comic/product value. They either are there or they aren't. Usually just to assist if a comic needs 'help' staying in place within the case.

31 minutes ago, crandmck said:

no the wedge won't affect the value. 

Also no problem was just messing around it's all good. enjoy your book. 

41 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

no the wedge won't affect the value. 

Also no problem was just messing around it's all good. enjoy your book. 

The main thing is that the book is secure within the holder and the holder and inner well are undamaged. I have seen examples where the holder was damaged so severely it affected the book. Gives me nightmares, man...  :fear:

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

The main thing is that the book is secure within the holder and the holder and inner well are undamaged. I have seen examples where the holder was damaged so severely it affected the book. Gives me nightmares, man...  :fear:

question though have you ever seen a wedge in a bad placement maybe or bent wrong where it leaves a impression on the book by any chance?