• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good moments in "Bad" comic book movies

29 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember really enjoying the fight between black suit Spidey and Sandman in the subway in Spider-man 3.

Thomas Haden Church was pretty terrific in that role.  He looked the part and brought some depth to the character.  They could have left out the Uncle Ben connection and the Sand Monster thing at the end and it would have been much better. 

I can't bring myself to consider Spider-Man 3 on the "bad" side of comic book movies. Last time I re-watched it (within the past couple of years) I thoroughly enjoyed the first 90 minutes. The back-half is a let down, for sure, but I feel it's overall "good".

Topher Grace was not a good fit for Venom. I agree that Sandman was very good.

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I can't bring myself to consider Spider-Man 3 on the "bad" side of comic book movies. Last time I re-watched it (within the past couple of years) I thoroughly enjoyed the first 90 minutes. The back-half is a let down, for sure, but I feel it's overall "good".

Topher Grace was not a good fit for Venom. I agree that Sandman was very good.

So much wasted potential.  This is one of the key movies I think of when I think "studio interference".

You can still have the black suit.  Keep Sandman.  Keep New Goblin.  Heck, even keep the emo dancing.  Lose the Uncle Ben thing and focus on Marko's daughter for his story.  Have a running B-plot through the whole thing showing Eddie trying to make a name for himself only to get foiled by Spider-man, ending in his firing.  Spidey should ditch the black costume by the end.  Leave Venom as a character for the eventual follow-up. 

I LOVE the first 2 Raimi Spidey movies.  I still think they're both excellent. 

18 hours ago, Turtle said:

Sandman  in Spider-man 3.

Thomas Haden Church was pretty terrific in that role

I particularly like the scene in the sandpit, while he's trying to reassemble himself ...

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I particularly like the scene in the sandpit, while he's trying to reassemble himself ...

I so love the Sandman story and how it tied into Peter's origins in that film. If not for the odd portrayal of Venom in Spider-Man 3, this would have been another solid Raimi Spider-Man film. The emotional backstory alone of Flint Marko and his daughter made it very much worth the watch.

48 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Ghost Rider - when Sam Elliott reveals himself to be the Phantom Rider, and he and Johnny Blaze ride off together to the song "Riders on the Storm."

I liked the first Ghost Rider movie. Cheesy, yes, but I seem to remember the old comics being cheesy, too. Not sure I can handle an over serious Ghost Rider movie, which may be why I walked out of the theater during the sequel.

I liked how the first movie treated the material like a gothic western, which is the perfect tone. I liked Peter Fonda as Satan and as an ode to Easy Rider. And yes, that Riders on the Storm scene was cool.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

That movie was BAD!

It started off pretty strong.  Those opening credits showing Wolverine and Sabretooth fighting in a series of wars throughout the years was an interested concept and visually pretty striking and memorable.  I would have liked to see that concept expanded.

Additionally, I really liked Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth.  I wouldn't mind seeing him reprise the role.