• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Variant hunting fun!

57 posts in this topic

okay big hint here.

this auction had more than 900 comics!

that ought to do it!

893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

The rest of you have fun, I'm done with this 893censored-thumb.gif BS.

27_laughing.gif - I'm always on the lookout for a better copy of Avengers 146 - that black cover gets marked up so easily along the spine frown.gif - I've never been able to come across any 146 variants better than FN+ on ebay and even one guy I won from, who had all 5 Avengers variants had the rest in CGC 9.0 - 9.4 range except for the 146 which was a 5.5 frustrated.gif

Yeah the search by description for completed auctions went the way of the dodo the same time they cut the returned search reponses for completed items down to last 30 days. I think it makes it easier for sellers to flip bulk lots for profit (not necessarily taking about comics only) if potential buyers can't look up past buying histories of current sellers to see what they paid wholesale on an item.

okay big hint here.

this auction had more than 900 comics!

that ought to do it!

893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

The rest of you have fun, I'm done with this 893censored-thumb.gif BS.

27_laughing.gif - I'm always on the lookout for a better copy of Avengers 146 - that black cover gets marked up so easily along the spine frown.gif - I've never been able to come across any 146 variants better than FN+ on ebay and even one guy I won from, who had all 5 Avengers variants had the rest in CGC 9.0 - 9.4 range except for the 146 which was a 5.5 frustrated.gif

Yeah the search by description for completed auctions went the way of the dodo the same time they cut the returned search reponses for completed items down to last 30 days. I think it makes it easier for sellers to flip bulk lots for profit (not necessarily taking about comics only) if potential buyers can't look up past buying histories of current sellers to see what they paid wholesale on an item.

I agree about Avengers 146 my copy is a 6.0 and its the best I have seen so far. Again I have the same problem with X-men 98 and 99 as high grades are damn near impossible to find due to black cover and horrible centering and miscuts on both books.

Just a note, but I hate posting on this board for only one reason. I have to disable my firewalls to do so. Its ridiculous that this is the only board I have to do it on. Hence while I rarely post on here too much trouble. Anyone got a better way to do it? I suppose if I got motivated I could edit my firewalls to allow it somehow, but it isnt worth work.

Just a note, but I hate posting on this board for only one reason. I have to disable my firewalls to do so. Its ridiculous that this is the only board I have to do it on. Hence while I rarely post on here too much trouble. Anyone got a better way to do it? I suppose if I got motivated I could edit my firewalls to allow it somehow, but it isnt worth work.

get a router. software-based firewalls are good backups, but if you're using a hardware based one, you'll be just fine

Please give us the link to this auction I have looked and looked but came up empty.

I think this is some monumental joke, and that the auction in question was either not added to the "closed auction" list, or the info supplied here was an outright falsehood or disingenuous at best.

For example, the "700 comics" turned into "over 900" which could really be anything at this point. Christo_pull_hair.gif

hey gang.

Well, what can I say? I thought it would be fun , but without being able to search closed auctions with "description", this ain't going to work.

so here is the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...QfrppZ50QQfviZ1

Please note that this is where the guy put up pictures for the real auction which is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6544401638&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

900+ comics that went for $721.00, worth that much with at least the two variants pictured?

I will try to make it up to you and think about some other way to give out the Avengers variant.

I apologize to all who tried. foreheadslap.gif

Frank

As I said before, did you actually try to search for this auction? This was an IMPORTANT question, as I don't think you ever did.

I just tried it, and using the EXACT auction title, it did not show up. makepoint.gif

As I said before, did you actually try to search for this auction? This was an IMPORTANT question, as I don't think you ever did.

I just tried it, and using the EXACT auction title, it did not show up. makepoint.gif

It was more than two weeks old (ended July 15th) so the answer is NO, it will not show up in the ebay search results.

Surprisingly I remember looking at this auction when it was live -- I remember being puzzled by the seller's comments about giving one free comic per bid, so bid often, but he'd only give out one free comic... or however his vague phrasing went...(shrug)

It was more than two weeks old (ended July 15th) so the answer is NO, it will not show up in the ebay search results.

foreheadslap.gif

Obviously, I meant the CLOSED auction search. Go cut-and-paste the EXACT auction title into the EBay closed auction search engine... and NADA. I tried it just now and nothing showed up.

That's why I continued to ask comichunter if he had even bothered to confirm whether the closed auction was searchable... which he obviously didn't... making the entire thing a massive time-wasting deal for a listing that could never be found.

What fun!!

From that 400 book auction listing, these were possibles:

Incredible Hulk No 198

Kid Colt Outlaw No 206

Kid Colt Outlaw No 209

Luke Cage No 30

Marvel Double Feature Capt America+ Iron Man No 16

Sgt. Fury (Howling Commandos) No 133

Thor No 247

Two Gun Kid No 129

Weird Wonder Tales No 16

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hey gang, sorry was not aware of recent ebay changes in their search engine capability, my bad!

But... even if you feel you wasted some time, you now have one more contact to add to your favorite sellers list for those sellers who don't know what these are!

Now that I know that Ebay has changed the rules, I will post the next variant I find, and absolutely make sure that it is findable. It will be a closed auction! Don't want to have you guys bidding against me!

Thought this would be fun, and liven things up a little around here... jeez!

Frank

ALL RIGHT!

ONE MORE CHANCE!

This is from a closed auction!

I have performed a search using key words in the title only and it is totally findable for the closed auction listing, USING THE CORRECT KEY WORDS. makepoint.gif

Note: this auction closed a couple of weeks ago! you only have about a day and a half to search for it, since i was just informed Ebay only keeps it on there for two weeks.

SO... go at it one more time! 905417-AVENGERS162.jpg

Good luck! thumbsup2.gif

905417-AVENGERS162.jpg.3b1db767afa7f72fd51d8216d5fb7c58.jpg

well..... THAT did not take very long to find, hey? 893applaud-thumb.gif

congratulations to Jeffrey, don't exactly know your handle on the boards here.

I did notice by your info , that you are a fellow San Franciscan.

Saves me on postage! Let me know if you ever want to trade! yay.gif

Any one else want to try and post a similar contest?

Frank tonofbricks.gif

well..... THAT did not take very long to find, hey? 893applaud-thumb.gif

congratulations to Jeffrey, don't exactly know your handle on the boards here.

I did notice by your info , that you are a fellow San Franciscan.

Saves me on postage! Let me know if you ever want to trade! yay.gif

Any one else want to try and post a similar contest?

Frank tonofbricks.gif

acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Yep, nothing like having a slow day at the office. 27_laughing.gif

What else besides variants do you collect? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif