• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we still in the modern age of comics ?

30 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

We have been in the modern age of comics for some 20+ years.  Comics from 20 years ago are pretty different than comics today . What do you think needs to happen in order to move to next age ? 

This is the post-Modern age. And with all due respect, I don't mean "post" as in Joey Post. Post as in "after" Modern age.

I would call the new age something along the lines of the "Movie Subsidiary Age," I just can't think of anything catchier.

Although movies like Superman (1978) and Batman (1989) were major hits, people knew of these characters from the comics first.  Same with Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, and maybe the X-Men too.

Around 2010 (when I would say this age began), you started getting major blockbusters like Ironman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Black Panther, etc.

Now, collectors have known these as comic book characters for decades, but the general public has not.  Ask your average person when the first time they ever heard of Black Panther, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Thanos, Ironman (even), Nick Fury, and Captain Marvel was and I would bet anything the vast majority would say "When the movie came out."  Heck, none of those characters, save Ironman, could even carry an ongoing series more than a few years, but yet the movies they are involved in were all blockbusters.

Essentially, movies are now by far the driving force of superhero consumption, not the comic books, so I deem this the "Movie Subsidiary Age," or maybe the "Cinematic Age."

Here is a link to the highest grossing superhero movies of all time (adjusted for inflation).   https://www.superherohype.com/movies/423213-highest-grossing-superhero-movies 

5 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

True.  There were always some sellers in the past that have asked ridiculous prices and it was easy to avoid them.....but over the last several years, most sellers have decided to do it to the point that I've essentially stopped collecting.

Yeah, when this age gets its monicker it will either be the speculator age or the investment age, depending on if comics crash or not.  I’ve bought one comic in the last three years after buying no fewer than 20 a year every previous year since around the early 2000’s when I got back in the hobby.

3 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

I would call the new age something along the lines of the "Movie Subsidiary Age," I just can't think of anything catchier.

Although movies like Superman (1978) and Batman (1989) were major hits, people knew of these characters from the comics first.  Same with Incredible Hulk, Spider-Man, and maybe the X-Men too.

Around 2010 (when I would say this age began), you started getting major blockbusters like Ironman, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers, Black Panther, etc.

Now, collectors have known these as comic book characters for decades, but the general public has not.  Ask your average person when the first time they ever heard of Black Panther, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, Thanos, Ironman (even), Nick Fury, and Captain Marvel was and I would bet anything the vast majority would say "When the movie came out."  Heck, none of those characters, save Ironman, could even carry an ongoing series more than a few years, but yet the movies they are involved in were all blockbusters.

Essentially, movies are now by far the driving force of superhero consumption, not the comic books, so I deem this the "Movie Subsidiary Age," or maybe the "Cinematic Age."

Here is a link to the highest grossing superhero movies of all time (adjusted for inflation).   https://www.superherohype.com/movies/423213-highest-grossing-superhero-movies 

Hype. How about, the post-Modern comic age of Hip-Hype?

the best name for this age is the "Fool's Gold" age where variants/modern books are asking for as much as SA, GA key or classic cover prices, but after careful inspection by a pro its not as valuable.... Sorry at modern Variant collectors.. 

WELCOME TO THE "FOOL'S GOLD  AGE".. infer what you want from it lol 

giphy.gif

I tend to look at comics by decades. Which up to a point, worked well. The ‘40’s were GA, the ‘50’s were Atomic Age, the ‘60’s were SA, the ‘70’s BA. Now this includes a generous spill over. Atomic Age to me is kind of in the middle 1945-1955. After the end of the BA, doesn’t really matter much to me as I collect very little other than a few keys. 

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I tend to look at comics by decades. Which up to a point, worked well. The ‘40’s were GA, the ‘50’s were Atomic Age, the ‘60’s were SA, the ‘70’s BA. Now this includes a generous spill over. Atomic Age to me is kind of in the middle 1945-1955. After the end of the BA, doesn’t really matter much to me as I collect very little other than a few keys. 

It is certainly difficult to argue that line of thinking. If one says "superhero comics from the 1960's", it is damned hard to misconstrue.

-slym