• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: ANDOR show (TBD)

133 posts in this topic

Ep 8 was good and you can very much sense where things are going to go...

Spoiler

PRISON BREAK!!! :ohnoez:

On 10/13/2022 at 3:14 PM, sfcityduck said:

Star Wars for grown ups is here.  Last episode was a triumph! Most fans of the franchise will be wondering what the heck happened to make Star Wars slow, thoughtful and intellectual, but this is probably the best serious work any Star Wars actor has appeared in since Alec Guinness did the Smiley’s People series for the BBC (highly recommended!).

Have to quote myself after reading a review of Ander which referenced John Le Carre, author of Smiley's People. Nice to know others see it too:

Andor takes Star Wars to a place it's never been. It feels more like a John le Carré novel with blasters than a space opera. And as someone who literally once ended a Star Wars rant/article with the words, "that's enough Star Wars for me thanks," it's a welcome change.

Don't Let Star Wars Fatigue Stop You From Watching 'Andor' - CNET

On 10/27/2022 at 1:08 PM, s-man said:

Ep 8 was good and you can very much sense where things are going to go...

Reveal hidden contents

PRISON BREAK!!! :ohnoez:

Yeah, they spent a ton of time showing how short staffed the prison officers are, and as the Empire locks up more and more people, I can see the officers getting overwhelmed by the prisoners, or Andor finds a way to get a pair of those boots. He obviously isn't going to complete his sentence. Those prison scenes felt like a mix of Squid Games and Black Mirror. And I loved how they juxtapose Mon Mothma drinking expensive wine and Andor eating paste through a tube. every episode requires multiple viewings.

Another fine episode, you can really feel the tension building. I just hope it comes to a satisfying conclusion in the last 3 eps.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:27 PM, fett said:

pretty sure there will be a season 2

Season 2 is announced but the statements put out also suggest it probably will not come out until 2024.

"I have two more years to go," Gilroy told The Wrap, confirming that season two will start filming in less than two months. 

"We start shooting in November on Part 2. And I don't know if... Our past pattern was two years, but I mean, I'll be on... We'll shoot from November to August. And then our post[-production] last time was about a year."

Edited by sfcityduck

big thumbs up to Serkis. This guy has earned himself quite the resume considering where and how he started. I didn't think he would go beyond LOTR but he has really raised the bar with his performance in Andor. Never ask him "Is that the best you got?" He'll take it out of the park. (worship)

Great episode all around. It was nice to see a not-far-fetched escape and a section of the Empire that can also aim and hit their targets. 

I really love how this show dives into the personal toll being a part of the rebellion takes on some people and the effect the rebellion has on other citizens of the galaxy. It’s also nice to see the writers exploring the gray area many of the rebels operate in.  

Edited by awakeintheashes

Episode 10 was about Sacrifice. Luthen explains how he's sacrificing everything ("I burn my life to make a sunrise that I'll never see”), Mon Mothma might have to sacrifice her daughter, and Kino makes that speech in the prison knowing he can't swim.

Edited by Hawkman

On 11/9/2022 at 8:57 PM, sfcityduck said:

The acting Andor is by far, BY FAR, the best on tv right now.  

Andy Serkis gave a masterclass in Ep. 10.  He got a special BAFTA and he won a daytime Emmy.  This was an epic regular Emmy worthy performance.  The most innovative acting career ever, and Ep. 10 may be his best performance!

Genevieve O'Reilly gives a masterclass in every single episode! How have I never heard of her before?  She is FIRMLY in the tradition of great British actresses - and she too deserves an Emmy. 

Stellan Skarsgard is doing his best work - channeling his inner Alec Guiness (from the Smiley years and Kwai) - no longer comedic relief but a heavyweight.

Adria Arjona was fantastic in Good Omens (must see if you haven't!) and is even sexier and more accomplished in this.

Denise Gough has got us rooting for the Empire, and every tremble of her lips and frowny face is, again, acting on a higher plane than ever seen in a Star Wars or comic property.

Kyle Soller and Kathryn Hunter have taken familial tension to a depth - portrayed entirely on the surface and in subtle movements - that is itself a work of art.

Diego Luna is inhabiting a role that I can only describe as a 21st Century version of Patrick McGoohan in the Prisoner meets Brazil?  I dunno, this is crazy stuff and his role keeps evolving.

THE BEST FICTION ON TV!  STAR WARS FOR GROWN-UPS!

The only thing that gives me comparable enjoyment, for entirely different reasons, is Welcome to Wrexham.  

Amazing.

No praise is too much for this cast.

The writing is also the best in television imho.

Watched Episodes 1-4 and so far I am really digging it! 

Patient story-telling with interesting characters, great acting, direction and production, interesting sets and cinematography.  SOOOOO glad they haven't resorted to "cute" or "funny" or dazzling "pew-pew-pew" action. Really liked episode 3, tense and with good stretches with no dialogue but still very engaging. Parts of it reminded me of "Dunkirk" with the story being told through the actors' expressions. 

Episode 11 was good...now we know what happened with the...

Spoiler

box!!

Definitely a set up episode..

Spoiler

will he or won't he attend his mother's funeral?

I just hope they wrap up the multiple plot lines they have going on.