• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney+'s STAR WARS: ANDOR show (TBD)

133 posts in this topic

Great story. Easy for me to say this is the best writing and acting across the entire franchise, top to bottom. Now that the bar is set so high I can't wait to see how they top it. 2024 is going to be a long wait. :) 

Spoiler

Don't miss the scene at the end of the credits. :)

Edited by fett
spoilers

Great ending to a great series!  Both this show and Rogue One brought a depth to the Star Wars universe that had been lacking.

Finishing up Episode 1,and surprised how much I am enjoying it so far. I really wasn't a fan of doing a show about characters that died in Rogue One.

We'll see if Hulu keeps presenting all the episodes, or if they use the pilot episode to tease "FOR MORE SIGN UP FOR DISNEY+!"

On 11/24/2022 at 8:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

Finishing up Episode 1,and surprised how much I am enjoying it so far. I really wasn't a fan of doing a show about characters that died in Rogue One.

We'll see if Hulu keeps presenting all the episodes, or if they use the pilot episode to tease "FOR MORE SIGN UP FOR DISNEY+!"

Well, it looks like Episode 2 has also been posted on Hulu. Haven't had to flip over to Disney+ - nor any promotion notes to do so. Though the screen advertisements note "Only on Disney+".

I wasn't excited about Andor at all initially. I liked Rogue One a lot, but a prequel show to a prequel movie starring a character I didn't find particularly compelling seemed like a disaster waiting to happen. The very positive reviews piqued my interest, though, especially the many "Star Wars for adults" comments. I dislike watching TV shows as the episodes are released - I don't necessarily binge, but I do like to be able to finish at my own pace. Being busy at work kept me from starting until last night. I thought I'd watch two episodes, but I was enjoying it enough that I stayed up until 2:00 AM and watched four episodes. Luna's a better actor than I gave him credit for, and of course Skarsgard is top-notch. I don't recognize many of the other actors, but the acting is a definite strength as are the locales. It's beautifully shot as well.

On 11/24/2022 at 7:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

Well, it looks like Episode 2 has also been posted on Hulu. Haven't had to flip over to Disney+ - nor any promotion notes to do so. Though the screen advertisements note "Only on Disney+".

Maybe they'll add the rest if enough people watch on these channels? Only showing first 2 episodes so far

Screenshot_20221124_100435.thumb.jpg.6b3091fdc44ad816cd5fda3d0e6fce52.jpg

On 11/24/2022 at 7:09 AM, WolverineX said:

Worth watching?

Definitely.  But be warned, the first three episodes are somewhat slow and focused on background.  It's all relevant the significance becomes clearer later.  This is not the Star Wars of my childhood.  This is Star Wars for grown-ups.  

On 11/24/2022 at 6:35 PM, sfcityduck said:

Definitely.  But be warned, the first three episodes are somewhat slow and focused on background.  It's all relevant the significance becomes clearer later.  This is not the Star Wars of my childhood.  This is Star Wars for grown-ups.  

Good deal, I will check it out this weekend

Very minimal spoiler potential here - no plot points - just film criticism.  Watch the episode first so you form your own opinions untainted by my views and then tell me what you thought.  Episodes 6, 7, and 10 were all fantastic.  Three very different events - all potential Hollywood tropes that could go dreadfully awry - and all masterfully portrayed.

But Episode 12 was the stuff of legend.  For example, from the moment the bands start tuning up until the speech begins - almost a 9 minute sequence but there is probably only 45 seconds or so of dialogue, and almost all of it is two to six word sentences.  When a nod sufficed, that's what happened.  Just the band, minimal dialogue, and lots and lots of story and emotions being conveyed without words. Simply incredible acting.  And then ...

The band stop playing. Everyone stands in silence - and the speech begins. And softly the score for Andor starts playing underneath the speech. Matching its tone, always below its volume, but adding emotional resonance, and increasing in volume as the speech becomes more agitated. And all we see visually for the four minutes of the speech is feelings conveyed by faces.  Not a single line of dialogue. The speech and the backing track underly everything, but everything important is conveyed by the faces of the people listening to the speech - anger, loss, sadness, determination, understanding - it is all there.  Four minutes - no dialogue - and a torrent of information about how the characters are feeling. 

Almost 13 minutes of incredible acting, incredible scoring of music (both played by the band on screen and played by the orchestra for the background score), and a masterclass on how to tell a story with the most minimal dialogue.  For me, Andor is the tv equivalent of the best pages of Bernie Krigstein's seminal comic story "Master Race." That's the highest praise I can give. I just hope it gets the recognition it deserves and proves influential. 

Amy I geeking out?  Heck yeah I'm geeking out.  I've watched this episode multiple times. Each time I see something new.  Legendary!

Edited by sfcityduck

In the past, Imperial officers were either 100% evil like Tarkin, or shown as completely incompetent. Even in books or other media, when they want to show nuance on the Imperial side it’s usually an officer who has a change of heart and becomes a “good guy”, while in this show we get multiple aspects and subtypes of “bad”.

For example, Syril in this show is essentially the foil/opposite of Andor.

Cassian runs from the Rebellion until the end when they take him in. Syril runs towards the Empire until the end when they (Dedra) take him in.
Cassian gets recruited for his skill. Syril gets demoted because of his skill.
Cassian moves towards the rebels due to inspiration from his mother. Syril moves towards the Empire due to being humiliated and berated by his mother.
Cassian saves Bix in the finale. Syril saves Dedra in the finale.
There’s likely more I’m not even mentioning…

Waiting until 2024 isn’t going to be fun at all.

Was Mon Mothma’s conversation with her husband in the hovercar 

Spoiler

A masterful way of getting the empire off her back and to focus on her husband’s indiscretions as the source of her substantial monetary  transactions?