• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

On an unrelated note, I wonder if the visitors to these boards are generally cynical or pessimistic. While I have never "rated" anything. I notice that most "ranked" topics and individuals have no more than 3 and quite often one or two stars. This thread is three star.

Given that this is the most heavily posted thread, how does it rank only three stars?

How is it that none of the posters has more than 3 stars. Shouldn't at least one poster be a four or a five? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why bother with a rank system if only the cynical post their opinions?

The 4 and 5 star threads and users are few and far in between, I can tell you that. valiantman is the only 4 star poster that I'm aware of (other than newbie wiseguys who obviously give themselves five stars). there was a thread that I started on general regarding the OS guide that had 5 stars for a while as well.

4Gemworks, what 35 centers are you still hunting for?

On an unrelated note, I wonder if the visitors to these boards are generally cynical or pessimistic. While I have never "rated" anything. I notice that most "ranked" topics and individuals have no more than 3 and quite often one or two stars. This thread is three star.

Given that this is the most heavily posted thread, how does it rank only three stars?

How is it that none of the posters has more than 3 stars. Shouldn't at least one poster be a four or a five? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why bother with a rank system if only the cynical post their opinions?

Not that I'm biased or anything (riiiight), but this thread had 4 stars for a loooonng time. Then, conspicuously right after a couple of variant haters posted, it was down to three. Hey, who really cares--the idea is to document and share each others discoveries.

Just a quick update--I'm back from my holiday travels and will update the site this weekend. Also, a public compliment to Meta, whose sharp eyes caught a Powerman 47 on ebay recently. Nice one.

And, my two cents on the most common issues:

Spidey 169-172

FF 185

Conan 77 (I've owned 4 copies of this, 2 of which came from alleged non-distribution cities).

Godzilla 1

Iron Man 103

Nova 11

Tarzan 1 ,2

John Carter ALL

4Gemworks, what 35 centers are you still hunting for?

Listed below is what I need. By my count I have 109 of a possible 185. Leaving 76 to go. I also have about a dozen dupes. My collection of the 30 centers taught me some interesting lessons. Hardly anybody, even those who can, seems to be that interested in trading. To put a point on the fact: Of the 186 possibl eissues, I received 3 , Sgt Fury 133, Weird Wonder Tales 16 and Two Gun Kid 131 as a result of trades. Every other copy I received as adirect result of hunting.Hunting is what makes it fun, by the way, as anybody collecting these will attest to. sumo.gif

The WWT (provided by BuenaVista, as well as the Sgt Fury) was a CGC 9.2 that I actually thought might not be beat any time soon, although I could have found it in lower grade. The Sgt Fury was VG and I needed it badly, along with Sgt Fury 134. Within weeks I subsequently found two more copies of 133 and 2 of 134. The Two Gun was practically given to me by Rip Van Sleep-what a class guy he was to deal with. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif I sent him the very best copies of some DC horror stuff I had, but it paled in comparative value. confused-smiley-013.gif. I subsequently found a pretty good copy of this issue on my own, as well.

Thus the realization, which I had already pretty well discovered, that most of what might be needed is found through excruciatingly hard work (ie Cosmic Spider-Man and 20 hidden finds) or from folks simply looking for cold hard cash. As such, if you have any of the issues I am missing I will pay at least the following:

For any issue without smiley: 9.0 or better :$135

For any issue with one smiley: $100 in any condition down to VG(nothing less, please) $ 250 in 9.0 or better.

For any issue with three smilies: I will probably hope to buy at firesale prices some day when an owner is deperate for money and the market is bad!

Amazing Spiderman 171

Amazing Spiderman 172

Avengers 160

Avengers 161

Captain America 210

Captain Marvel 51

Champions 15

Daredevil 146

Daredevil 147

Daredevil 148

Defenders 50

Doctor Strange 23

Doctor Strange 24

Eternals 15

Fantastic Four 183

Fantastic Four 186

Flinstones 1 893whatthe.gif

Incredible Hulk 212

Incredible Hulk 213

Incredible Hulk 214

Incredible Hulk 215

Incredible Hulk 216

Invaders 17

Invaders 19

Invaders 20

Ironfist 13 893frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gifinsane.gif

Ironfist 14

Ironman 101

Kid Colt Outlaw 218 893whatthe.gif

Kid Colt Outlaw 219 893whatthe.gif

Kid Colt Outlaw 220 893whatthe.gif

Kull 21

Kull 22

Marvel Premiere 37

Marvel Super Action 2

Marvel Tales 81

Marvel Tales 82

Marvel Tales 83

Marvel Tales 84

Marvel Triple Action 36

Marvel Two-In-One 29

Marvel Two-In-One 30

Marvel Two-In-One 32

Master of Kung-Fu 53

Master of Kung-Fu 54

Master of Kung-Fu 55

Master of Kung-Fu 56

Powerman 44

Powerman 45

Powerman 46

Powerman 47

Rawhide Kid 140 893whatthe.gif

Rawhide Kid 141 893whatthe.gif

Red Sonja 4

Scooby Doo 1 893whatthe.gif

Sergeant Fury 141 893whatthe.gif

Sergeant Fury 142 893whatthe.gif

Spectacular Spiderman 7

Spectacular Spiderman 8

Spectacular Spiderman 9

Spectacular Spiderman 11

Star Wars 1frustrated: 893censored-thumb.gifinsane.gif

Star Wars 2893whatthe.gif

Star Wars 3893whatthe.gif

Star Wars 4893whatthe.gif

Tarzan 3

Thor 264

Tomb of Dracula 59

2001: A Space Odyssey 7

2001: A Space Odyssey 8

2001: A Space Odyssey 9

2001: A Space Odyssey 10

X-men 106893whatthe.gif

Glenn, when do you expect the variants back? Mid Feb?

I'm looking forward to seeing how well the ones you got from me did. smile.gif

Incredibly, they are running 6-8 weeks it looks like. Hopefully sooner. Cross your fingers.

Good luck Glenn - on a related note, bonas0123 and cosmic have taken MotorCity's 35 centers to very high levels... wonder why they never bid that high on my 35 centers frown.gifsorry.gif

I'm not sure why. EIther this market is extraordinarily innefficient or the stuff I have is worth a lot more than I thought.

I'm not sure why. EIther this market is extraordinarily innefficient or the stuff I have is worth a lot more than I thought.

It's all about finding an issue that at least two BSD variant collectors need for their run. Toss out condition, title, rarity, etc. and it comes down to two guys with deep pockets wanting the same book.

Check out the bidding history, as there's no one else even close.

It's all about finding an issue that at least two BSD variant collectors need for their run. Toss out condition, title, rarity, etc. and it comes down to two guys with deep pockets wanting the same book.

27_laughing.gif

I think Bonas is annoyed with all of you. He's got DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP pockets.

27_laughing.gif

I think Bonas is annoyed with all of you. He's got DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP pockets.

Yeah, I'm just a small-time dealer, and Sandro has dropped enough with me to buy a nice used car...

Great guy too... One of the rare BSD's that's actually a genuine pleasure to talk to... thumbsup2.gif

S&B, when you updated the site I think you missed the Super-Villain Team-Up 12 that was recently auctioned by Motor City.

BTW, how many total possible 35 cent variants are there? Is it 182 or 185? confused.gif

I just recently ran across this chat room and I have been collecting the 35 cent books for a couple years. I recognize most of your ID's and have bought a couple books from a some of you... My collection of 35 centers only numbers about 35 issues, but I have been trying to locate the Scooby Doo and Flintstones issues. Does anyone currently have them for sale??? Help!!!!!!

Did anyone here get any of the variants in the recent Heritage auction?

Pretty aggressive prices realized on the HG 30-centers! The LG 35-centers were respectable, but it would be more interesting to see what they'd bring in on some HG specimens.

16014 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

Amazing Adventures #36 - 30 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1976) CGC VF+ 8.5 White pages.... Internet Only CGC VF+ 8.5 December 21, 2003 $155.25

16126 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

Black Goliath #4 - 30 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1976) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages.... Internet Only CGC VF+ 8.5 December 21, 2003 $87.40

16173 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

The Champions #14 - 35 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1977) Condition: VG-.... Internet Only VG- 3.5 December 21, 2003 $42.00

16208 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

The Defenders #48 - 35 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1977) Condition: VG+.... Internet Only VG+ 4.5 December 21, 2003 $42.00

16209 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

The Defenders #49 - 35 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1977) Condition: VG.... Internet Only VG 4.0 December 21, 2003 $42.00

16210 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

The Defenders #50 - 35 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1977) Condition: VG+.... Internet Only VG+ 4.5 December 21, 2003 $42.00

16211 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

The Defenders #51 - 35 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1977) Condition: GD/VG.... Internet Only GD/VG 3.0 December 21, 2003 $42.00

16259 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

Fantastic Four #185 - 35 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1977) Condition: VG.... Internet Only VG 4.0 December 21, 2003 $42.00

16341 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

Iron Man #103 - 35 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1977) Condition: GD.... Internet Only GD 2.0 December 21, 2003 $37.00

16422 Bronze Age (1970-1979) : Superhero

Marvel Premiere #37 - 35 Cent Price Variant (Marvel, 1977) Condition: GD.... Internet Only GD 2.0 December 21, 2003 $37.00

Thanks, I'll try to update it tomorrow. Thought I made the change-guess not. As for number, I think I'm missing one title, but can't figure out what it is. Any thoughts?

Marvel Presents 11 and 12

Good luck Glenn - on a related note, bonas0123 and cosmic have taken MotorCity's 35 centers to very high levels... wonder why they never bid that high on my 35 centers frown.gifsorry.gif

Actually both. I think.

I think basically these variants are probably the rarest bronze age comics in existance. And should be worth a lot of money.

But, because they are just price variants you have a smaller section of comic collectors even interested in them.

That's the only reason they are selling as cheap as they are now. And that could easily keep them from ever reaching their full potential.

Because of them being of interest to so few people, their prices have stayed fairly low and stable.

If that ever changes and more people become interested in collecting them ... then you could easily see much higher prices. juggle.gif But, it could go either way ...

Thanks, I'll try to update it tomorrow. Thought I made the change-guess not. As for number, I think I'm missing one title, but can't figure out what it is. Any thoughts?

Marvel Presents 11 and 12

Those have been on for the past month or so. Anyone else spot anything missing?