• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

35 cent Variant List-Help wanted

904 posts in this topic

It's just bonas0123 and youknowwhat really after it...I think Glenn has one already and cosmic has a copy from his last wallpaper he sent me... confused-smiley-013.gif If I did have it, I would have passed it on to wdb with the ther 4 Defender variants I sent him, but nowhere near that price.

One thing though, JC, is that these recent high sales for 35 centers (mostly bonas0123 lately) are driving my per book averages up by several dollars so you can make an argument for a general rise in the price of these for this year at least...

Well, things have been fairly slow lately on the Marvel variants threads so I'd like to inquire about the following:

1. Are trying to complete a 30 cent or 35 cent set?

2. Which ones are you missing to complete your set?

3. Do you know of someone not on the CGC Boards that is going for one of the variant sets? What are they missing.

4. How many complete sets of variants do you think can be assembled? We know that Paul and FD have a set but given the scarcity of the Westerns how many complete sets are possible.

5. How much $ do you think it would take to buy a complete mid-grade 30 cent variant set if one ever came up for sale.

Thanks

Yes. Yes I am smile.gif

I'd rather not say in public for fear of the Levine effect tongue.gif the ones who need to know, already know. those who don't know, forgot confused-smiley-013.gif

3. Do you know of someone not on the CGC Boards that is going for one of the variant sets? What are they missing.

Yes. Yes I do. See Levine effect above.

4. How many complete sets of variants do you think can be assembled? We know that Paul and FD have a set but given the scarcity of the Westerns how many complete sets are possible.

There is a 3rd according to richnerd, who has completed his 30 cent set, off the shelves. One of his neighbors/customers (?) who lived near a test distribution site/city in 1976...

5. How much $ do you think it would take to buy a complete mid-grade 30 cent variant set if one ever came up for sale.

A couple thousand at least, with the costliest being the X-men 98-100 (in the $100 - $150 range for FN/VF) set and all the Westerns/Horrors. (around $75-$100 a piece)

Thanks for the reply DD... if you can't answer No.2 and No.3 please tell us how many you have to go and how many collectors you know are going for sets.

I forgot about that one guy that Richnerd posted about... was it confirmed that he has a complete set with all the toughies?

I am currently in knowledge of four guys (including myself) and who I'm actively working with trying, for the complete 30 cent sets. One is even going for two complete sets of 30 centers and has a very good shot at it. I know of 4 active folks going hard for the 35 cent set. I also have contacts that check in with me time and again for variants in their favorite titles. There are those that pop in now and then. there are definitely more than these numbered above, but they have probably chosen not to reveal their intentions or choose to work with me via trade/sale for one reason or another. It is still lots of fun...

the richnerd buddy collection has been confirmed...by rich smile.gif

Not anymore. grin.gif "First adopter" and all that. I was thinking about a 35 cent set, but its just too damned expensive. I every now and then think about breaking my 30 cent set up, but then I hit myself with a brick and I feel better.

None. I wouldn't mind upgrading a couple of mine, but its not a big deal. The thrill for me was in the hunt, not having really high grade ones. I'll leave that bit of insanity for others. Although Darth's 9.8 Conan makes me all moist.

Yes. The same ones that everybody else are missing.

Probably more than we'd think. I'll bet some of the westerns are just sitting in store backstock in Baltimore or San Antonio. Maybe 20?

I don't know. Somebody make me an offer and I'll think about it. grin.gif

Merolle is the Man!

Wonderful write up on our Variant Idol! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Glad you liked it. You, know, it's like pulling teeth to get me to talk about my other hobby wink.gif. Many thanks are due to Tom Gordon for not only asking me to do the interview but also for his patience--it only took me a couple of months to get the interview and pictures together.

I've been out of the loop for the past two months--any good finds that people want to make public? I haven't come across any 35 centers that weren't listed or marked as such for almost 3 months. My last one was Marvel Presents 12. Anyone else.

Has anybody turned up a Marvel Super Action #2 yet? I figure that between Cosmic-Spider-man and 4Gemworks that one should be in their collection by now but this issue is still missing on S&Bs list. Any scans of this issue out there?

Has anybody turned up a Marvel Super Action #2 yet? I figure that between Cosmic-Spider-man and 4Gemworks that one should be in their collection by now but this issue is still missing on S&Bs list. Any scans of this issue out there?

I promised cosmic I'd post a copy of mine. I am awaiting receipt of a Rawhide Kid 140 and promised to post scans of both for cosmic.

Thanks, I knew you guys would have it. Great news on the Rawhide Kid 140 too. Keep us updated on your progress for the complete set and congratulations on completing the 30 cent set also. thumbsup2.gif

I promised cosmic I'd post a copy of mine. I am awaiting receipt of a Rawhide Kid 140 and promised to post scans of both for cosmic.

Here is Rawhide Kid, about F/VF

rk141.jpg

Here is Super ACtion 2 about VG/Fine

sa2.jpg

And here is Kid Colt 207 just for good measure. In the debate over CGC, CGG, and this is a small point, but this comic was referred to me by two different folks as VF or better. In reality it would grade no better than 7.0...lost in the debate is the continuing saga of over-grading that goes on daily, on a massive scale, including by many on these very boards.But what the heck...it's still a great book...

kc207.jpg

thumbsup2.gif