• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what,s # 1 on your wish list or grail you hope to buy

75 posts in this topic

the # 1 peice on my wish / grail list. would be a nice bernie wrightson frankenstein plate. if you ever seen any in person you know how i feel. they are truly to die for. bernie,s greatest works bar none.

i hope one day to pick up one. what on your list. larry

Egads my list is long. But I'll give the top 2.

1. Ditko Amazing Spider-Man page.

2. Ditko Dr. Strange page

There are still a number of artists I'd like to get pages from: Buscema Silver Surfer, Steranko Captain America and X-men, Adams X-Men, Romita Spider-Man, Romita Daredevil. But the Ditko's are my top wants. They also are high-dollar which is why I don't have them yet.... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hi. rhino . your want list almost looks like mine. ya got good taste. but i was thinking about my # 1 pick above my want list. but i can tell you this much.

your # 2 pick is a lot harder to fine than your # 1 pick that,s for sure. good luck on your grail hunt. larry ;]

If I was to buy any OA, and the thought has crossed my mind, I would buy a Marie Severin page from either TTA or her early Hulk work. I would really like to have a page from Hulk 104 that shows both he and the Rhino beating each others brains in.

the # 1 peice on my wish / grail list. would be a nice bernie wrightson frankenstein plate. if you ever seen any in person you know how i feel. they are truly to die for. bernie,s greatest works bar none.

i hope one day to pick up one. what on your list. larry

I don't buy OA, as I can't currently afford it, but ideally I would like a Wrightson splash or some early BA horror cover. Actually, I think you hit the nail on the head with a Frankenstein page. They are truly unbelievable. Did you see the Wrightson Frankenstein cover to the Scream Door fanzine that was recently auctioned off? A mere $18,000 and it could have been yours. wink.gif

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/6533-Be...sspagenameZWDVW

arex. nice . i think marie severin art is so underated iam suprised her works does not sell for more. she has done some great stuff in the past. i like her work better than her brothers stuff .

good luck on your grail quest. larry

october. first. let me say this everybody can afford original comic art. you can buy pages from 20.00 on up on ebay and at some shows. you just may not get what you truly are looking for. that,s all. but hey we all gotta start somewhere right.

that wrightson fanzine is nice. 18.000 is a tad over my budget right now. 27_laughing.gif

but. if i had 18.000 sitting around i think i would hold out and stick to my guns for a tru frankenstein plate. to pop up for sale.

so what are ya waiting for, go buy a page of comic art. and join the gang here, you won,t be sorry. larry

october. first. let me say this everybody can afford original comic art. you can buy pages from 20.00 on up on ebay and at some shows. you just may not get what you truly are looking for. that,s all. but hey we all gotta start somewhere right.

that wrightson fanzine is nice. 18.000 is a tad over my budget right now. 27_laughing.gif

but. if i had 18.000 sitting around i think i would hold out and stick to my guns for a tru frankenstein plate. to pop up for sale.

so what are ya waiting for, go buy a page of comic art. and join the gang here, you won,t be sorry. larry

I actually own 2 pages, one of which is a Punisher page that was $20 on eBay. 27_laughing.gif The other I bought to help out one of my favorite indie publishers. I know I can afford pages if I look hard enough, it's just not a priority right now. I like OA, but until I can afford stuff at the $500 level or up, I would rather just spend my money on comics...

ok. october. i feel ya. nothing wrong with that. i got started in art by selling some comics in the first place. but i will tell you this. and trust me on this.

if you start now with comic art. in about ten years some of those pages you buy today will shock you in the prices they will command. check out the auctions. when you get a chance. until then good luck in your collecting. larry ;]

ok. october. i feel ya. nothing wrong with that. i got started in art by selling some comics in the first place. but i will tell you this. and trust me on this.

if you start now with comic art. in about ten years some of those pages you buy today will shock you in the prices they will command. check out the auctions. when you get a chance. until then good luck in your collecting. larry ;]

I don't particularly care what they end up being worth, but I would love to get the following (in no particular order):

1. Wrightson splash

2. Adams sketch

3. Kaluta splash

4. Mignola Hellboy page

5. Eric Powell Goon page

6. A nice Zeck Punisher page

7. A Walt Simonson Thor cover or page

8. Stan Sakai Usagi splash

I think I would be very happy with abot 10 pieces, all from different artists and genres. With the possible exception of Wrightson and Mignola, I don't think I would have any interest in owning more than one piece by any artist.

I actually own 2 pages, one of which is a Punisher page that was $20 on eBay. 27_laughing.gif The other I bought to help out one of my favorite indie publishers. I know I can afford pages if I look hard enough, it's just not a priority right now. I like OA, but until I can afford stuff at the $500 level or up, I would rather just spend my money on comics...

Out of my 30 or so pieces of OA the two highest priced were $500 and $510 (damn shipping tongue.gif) and I really like a lot of my stuff obviously. Only two other things were $400 or more. I've spent more on individual comics than on any piece of art (I've since sold the books, but have hung onto the art).

Oh, and a primo early 70s Wrightson piece is probably the grail for me. Either that or a badazz Kubert Rock cover...or the HOS 127 cover...or an Adams page with Batman on it...

1. Wrightson splash

2. Adams sketch

3. Kaluta splash

4. Mignola Hellboy page

5. Eric Powell Goon page

6. A nice Zeck Punisher page

7. A Walt Simonson Thor cover or page

8. Stan Sakai Usagi splash

You have excellent taste!

[That is to say we have similar taste. wink.gif]

so far iam totally digging everybody.s want list. lot of people with good taste here. for sure. in my best al pacino godfather voice. everytime i try to get out . they keep pulling me back in .

larry ;]

For me, my grail is one of Sprang's more recent Batman cover recreations like the Batman 25 that was on Heritage a few years back. I couldn't put together the money at the time to get it, but I really liked Sprang's work on Batman. As far as "real" comic pages, I would love a Ditko Spider-man interior page, a Kirby FF page, a Miller Daredevil page (splash where Matt Murdock is hitting a punching bag from one of the latter issues), and any Splash pages from the Avengers when Buscema and Palmer were doing the artwork.

hi. rhino . your want list almost looks like mine. ya got good taste. but i was thinking about my # 1 pick above my want list. but i can tell you this much.

your # 2 pick is a lot harder to fine than your # 1 pick that,s for sure. good luck on your grail hunt. larry ;]

Thanks Larry, it's funny, I like Wrightson and Ploog too, and like others agree that Bernie's Frankenstein work is just gorgeous. Oh yeah, and I like Frazetta, Biz, Mignola, Powell (Goon is my favorite modern comic), Linsner, Romita Jr. etc etc etc. Someday I'll have a nice page from all of them... ALL OF THEM!!! Bwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!!!!!

Collecting art is WORSE than being addicted to crack....really. confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, and as far as Marie Severin, yeah, her Marvel work is SO undervalued. I liked her work on Not Brand Ecch too!

I'd like to get a page that has a re-telling of Spidey's origin. I bought a Superman one like that and am thinking that it would be cool to have a lot of 'origin' pages like that in my collection.

Maybe #1 on my list too.

My biggest want in terms of pure comic art is actually well within my grasp whenever I get off my [embarrasing lack of self control] to do it- a Frank Miller Daredevil page.

rhino. you mention ploog. i just about forgot about him. he,s no wrightson but he did do a tasty frankenstein.;

and if original comic art was crack. then for sure my name would be tyrone biggins 27_laughing.gif ;]

larry

thomas. that a pretty good ideal for a collection theme. all origin pages. but i can tell you it might cost ya a nice penny. i think most collectors would like a page like that as well in there collection.

so they may be a lil tuff to find. but for the right amount you can find anything.

larry ;]