• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what,s # 1 on your wish list or grail you hope to buy

75 posts in this topic

Instead of listing a bunch of things that I'll never have enough money to buy, here's my list grounded in reality....

1. A page from a Farrell horror book (Haunted Thrills, Voodoo, Fantastic Fears or Strange Fantasy)

2. Totleben Swamp Thing art

3. A page by Pat Boyette from Charlton Premiere #2

I know that one, I think it's called "The Enchanted Circle" or something like that. It's cool and I would never pass up a chance to get it, but the Waterhouses with "the girl" or a close approximation of Waterhouse's usual model get top priority and "Hylas" has seven of them.

Some critic wrote that "Hylas" was flawed in that all the nymphs looked practically alike. That's the point, it's the thing that makes the picture kind of creepy. Otherwise, it would look like "Hylas's Lucky Day".

I guess my grail is the first piece of original art that I owned: a page from book 3 of Dark Knight Returns when Batman and Robin go to Selena's apartment and see her hogtied and dressed up as Wonder Woman. Sold it to put myself through med school back in the late 80s. Have been searching for it ever since. CRAZY STOOPID money for the owner and CRAZY STOOPID finder's fee to whoever leads me there!!

Instead of listing a bunch of things that I'll never have enough money to buy, here's my list grounded in reality....

1. A page from a Farrell horror book (Haunted Thrills, Voodoo, Fantastic Fears or Strange Fantasy)

2. Totleben Swamp Thing art

3. A page by Pat Boyette from Charlton Premiere #2

I will take the same route (and these are just some of my grails):

1. Cover to Captain America # 156 one of my favorite story lines when I was a kid and still holds up today.

2. A really good Steve Rude cover, probably Nexus ( I have the Nexus # 3 cover but it is by Frank Brunner. One of my favorite pieces!)

3. A really good Perez Wonder Woman cover

4. A Paul Smith X-Men cover or splash

5. A published Grateful Dead song lyric illustrated by Tim Truman WHICH I JUST MADE A DEAL FOR!! yay.gifheadbang.gifyay.gifheadbang.gif Tim is a great artist and a great guy to deal with thumbsup2.gif

I left out one more major (personal) Grail. The cover to Iron Man 154, by John Romita Jr, with Iron Man fighting the Unicorn. The very first comic I ever read, and re-read, and re-read, etc. I would pay whatever it takes for this one, just based on those happy memories.

Best,

I left out one more major (personal) Grail. The cover to Iron Man 154, by John Romita Jr, with Iron Man fighting the Unicorn. The very first comic I ever read, and re-read, and re-read, etc. I would pay whatever it takes for this one, just based on those happy memories.

Best,

Yeah, the childhood thing is very important to me, that's why I want the Cap cover and it also plays a big part in how I determine how much to pay for a piece.

1. Cover to Captain America # 156 one of my favorite story lines when I was a kid and still holds up today.

Steve; Good choice!! I love those Captain America covers from 1972 and 1973. He was my favorite guy as a kid and those were my prime time years of reading. I'm boffo happy to have the Captain America #163 cover, and a killer 2 page sequence from Cap #167 fighting Zombies!! Sal B. is the man! Dan F. thumbsup2.gif

I'm boffo happy to have the Captain America #163 cover, and a killer 2 page sequence from Cap #167 fighting Zombies!! Sal B. is the man! Dan F. thumbsup2.gif

I hate you! stooges.gifflowerred.gif

Dan-

About what do you think the Cap cover would go for if I found it.

I'm boffo happy to have the Captain America #163 cover, and a killer 2 page sequence from Cap #167 fighting Zombies!! Sal B. is the man! Dan F. thumbsup2.gif

I hate you! stooges.gifflowerred.gif

Dan-

About what do you think the Cap cover would go for if I found it.

Steve; the worst Sal B. Cap cover from that run (I'll leave that as a mystery) sold about 2 years ago for about $4500. I recently purchased mine (which is one of my all time favorites) for 9k in trade. (Yes, I am insane!! I got that and the Nova #13 cover in a trade deal that I couldn't pass up. They are both all-time covers for me.) But, I think the cover you mentioned would be somewhere in the middle. Hopefully toward the lower end, but you never know- this last year has seen a huge increase in panel page prices from this run. Just a year or two ago you could buy nice pages for $150 to $250. Now, they regularly sell for $350 to $450; and there is a page from issue #159 on ebay right now that the seller wants $800 for!!! 893whatthe.gif

Speaking of random childhood favorites, has anyone seen the cover to Daredevil 246 out there? I believe it's by Tom Morgan and it depicts DD and Chance jumping a taxi cab. The tagline is "One chance in hell's kitchen." I read that ish to death when I was a kid.

I would love to own the cover to Flash 225 by Nick Cardy. This was one of the first issues of Flash I bought when i first started collecting comics.

Another grail of mine would be a Dave Cockrum or Mike Grell cover to Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes.

I used to own a Grell Green Lantern/Green Arrow cover that I very much regret selling.

A pre-code EC horror or sci-fi cover or splash would be great!

As for childhood sentiment, there's a Buscema/Chan scene in Conan the Barbarian in the late 140's where Conan is being hassled in a bar. He stoicly picks the man up by the collar and says, "Fellow..."

next scene: man flies through air into wall "...GO AWAY!"

Steve; Good choice!! I love those Captain America covers from 1972 and 1973. He was my favorite guy as a kid and those were my prime time years of reading.

Hey, I'm with you guys! One of my favorite covers and one of my favorite stories when I was a kid. headbang.gif

Wow! I have to break this into categories...

Totally out of the realm of possibility:

-Fantastic Four #57, Page 15 - Full page splash of Doom stealing the Surfer's powers. IMO, the single greatest comic page ever drawn. cloud9.gif

-Fantastic Four #143 Cover

-Brian Bolland "Killing Joke" page

Highly unlikely, but you never know:

-David Lloyd "V for Vendetta" Page with V featured prominently.

-Dave Gibbons "Watchmen" page w/ Rorschac featured (I can never spell it correctly)

-John Totleben "Miracleman" Page - either from #15 (th MM vs. Kid MM Battle) or the "Solar/Atomic Dance" from #16

Reality Sets In:

-Totleben/Bissette "Swamp Thing" page w/ Swampy in at least one large panel. Abby would be added bonus.

-Dave Gibbons "Watchmen" - any page w/ one (or more) of the heroes on it or a page from "Tales of the Black Freighter".

-"Sandman" Page (any arc, but Seasons of Mist preferred) w/ Morpheus. Any of the other "Endless" would be a bonus

-Michael Turner "Superman/Batman" - any page from the "Supergirl from Krypton" arc that has Supergirl + one of the 'Big 3' on it. Almost bought one of these in Philly, but was not about to put it on my CC. Also, very hard to justify the pricetag for pencils only.

-Simon Bisley "Lobo Paramilitary X-Mas Special" - any page w/ Lobo + either the Easter Bunny or Santa. Bid on 2 pages on Heritage a few years back (I stopped at about $700/page before I chickened out). Don't know what they finished at, but I doubt I was even close. (These are my New Mutants #87 page - you may laugh, but I still want one grin.gif).

-Rags Morales "Identity Crisis" Issue #3 - any page from the Deathstroke battle (Man, why couldn't I have had 8K on me in Philly? Could've bought the entire sequence. tongue.gif)

There are some more, but I'm tired and can't think of them at the moment. insane.gif

-Fantastic Four #57, Page 15 - Full page splash of Doom stealing the Surfer's powers. IMO, the single greatest comic page ever drawn.

We're on the same wavelength. I was just thinking that the greatest page ever drawn was the one from two issues earlier, #55: The "You figger it out" semi-splash with the Surfer exploding through the wall.

I'm happy to say I've got most things on my want/grail list. The one thing I've never managed to pick up is a Ken Barr Doc Savage Magazine painting. Would really like one of those early issues!!!!!!!!!!!! Dan F.

Well... maybe all you have to do is say it out loud!! Grail desired, Grail acquired! I'm happy as a clam in sand.

yay.gif