• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what,s # 1 on your wish list or grail you hope to buy

75 posts in this topic

I'm sure I could never afford it if it did come up, but my ultimate grail in comic art is Wally Wood's circus panorama from the centerfold of (I believe) Mad #41. He did this spectacular vision of a turn of the century circus that was contrasted with Bob Clarke's picture of a lame modern circus.

Art, comic or otherwise, it's Hylas and the Nymphs by John William Waterhouse. I'm sure I couldn't afford that one either.

While this list isn't complete and I don't an absolute Grail, here are a few of mine :

Death in Family cover - any will do

Crisis 7 or 8 cover.......yeah, that will happen (insert sarcasim)

Batman 497 cover

Miller Daredevil cover

Adams Batman 251 cover (is this even out there ?)

Hulk Annual 1 cover

ASM 1 (mcFarlane cover, about as likely as getting hit by Halley's comet twice !)

Superman 199 cover (i know this is out there)

I held that cover in my hands last month. Unfortunately Frank has that nailed to his studio wall. It's not for sale.

frown.gif

Cool! At least I know where it is now! tongue.gif Anyways, I was just responding to Donut's request for wish lists. I have so many comic wish lists to fulfill before I could even consider getting into OA.

However, I have to admit I'm surprised that the FF 214 cover could go for as cheap as $100K. In my opinion, Frazetta is one of the few comic artists, maybe the only one, whose work transcends the realm of comic art and commercial art. Have any of his iconic paintings publicly traded hands, and what is the highest known price (either public or private sale) paid for one of his works?

I want the Carmine Infantino cover art to Flash 324 and 325 and any of those last five or six issues of Flash. I'd almost rather have a later CI Flash cover than any of his early ones. I grew up on The Trial of the Flash, so those covers mean a lot more to me.

Hmmm... If we're dreaming, I'll have to go with:

1) McKean Sandman cover

2) DKR splash

3) Fabry Preacher cover (preferably my avatar cool.gif )

4) McFarlane Spider-Man cover or full page splash

5) Miller Sin City cover (yeah, I know..NFS)

6) Bissette / Totleben Swamp Thing Cover

7) Any published Frazetta piece

8) Romita ASM cover

9) Keith/Dringenberg Sandman 1 splash page (I know the guy who has this and he ain't selling)

10)Liefeld / McTodd New Mutants 87 cover (please dont hurt me tonofbricks.gif )