• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Godzilla (1977) Club
2 2

157 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2024 at 10:16 AM, Gus Landt said:

I picked up my first couple 9.8s!  If anyone knows a better way to do this, please share it with me.

All I'm doing right now is searching eBay for "Godzilla 9.8" and clicking Buy It Now on whatever comes up that I don't have yet. Is there a better way?  I've found that if I add any other words to my search, then legit items get filtered out.  If I add "CGC" or "Marvel" to the search, then the listings missing those terms don't show up.

Look at Heritage, Comiclink etc.

Also make a listing in the want to buy section here - you can probably find some on the boards.

It's a great title!

On 5/4/2024 at 11:45 AM, Xenosmilus said:

Prices are all over the place and maybe wait for auctions or if you see a good deal (around 200ish).  Say your money for #24 because that will be the hardest to find.

In the last few years as more books have been CGCed, 24 now has 15 universal and 3 SS copies. (in reality there are only 14 universal copies as I turned my universal into an SS copy but CGC wouldn't change the census as I had the SS done outside of CGC).For the longest time 24 had the lowest number of 9.8s

15 now has the lowest amount of 9.8s - 14 universal and 1 SS, followed by 17 with 15 universal and 1 SS

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 10:49 AM, Jordysnordy said:

In the last few years as more books have been CGCed, 24 now has 15 universal and 3 SS copies. (in reality there are only 14 universal copies as I turned my universal into an SS copy but CGC wouldn't change the census as I had the SS done outside of CGC).For the longest time 24 had the lowest number of 9.8s

15 now has the lowest amount of 9.8s - 14 universal and 1 SS, followed by 17 with 15 universal and 1 SS

There is a #1 SS on Clink I may go for. I have been annoyed for years that I am #3 on the registry by like 2 points!:roflmao:

Edited by Xenosmilus

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 10:34 PM, Xenosmilus said:

There is a #1 SS on Clink I may go for. I have been annoyed for years that I am #3 on the registry by like 2 points!:roflmao:

lol it is a nice copy. 
The OCD in me tells I do need to upgrade my #1 SS if I can find a WP copy.

Edited by Jordysnordy

On 5/7/2024 at 10:15 PM, Jordysnordy said:
On 5/7/2024 at 9:34 PM, Xenosmilus said:

lol it is a nice copy. 
The OCD in me tells I do need to upgrade my #1 SS if I can find a WP copy.

lol awesome that y'all are so cordial despite being in the set at the top 3 spots, and speaking of, why does #6 not have a description? @Jordysnordy I do admire that the set has won some notice, and I'm glad for competition, I do remember when this thread 1st started (or one of them) and thinking that it was a battle royal.

Reading @Xenosmilus descriptions in set, I can tell all y'all are true godzilla fans :) 

On 5/8/2024 at 9:29 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol awesome that y'all are so cordial despite being in the set at the top 3 spots, and speaking of, why does #6 not have a description? @Jordysnordy I do admire that the set has won some notice, and I'm glad for competition, I do remember when this thread 1st started (or one of them) and thinking that it was a battle royal.

Reading @Xenosmilus descriptions in set, I can tell all y'all are true godzilla fans :) 

Fixed 😂 

On 5/8/2024 at 9:29 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That must of ticked off @Jordysnordy:roflmao:@ADAMANTIUM did you a favor though.  Someone in theory, could have come in and tied you with a complete description and dethroned your #1 spot!:tonofbricks:

On 5/8/2024 at 3:56 PM, Xenosmilus said:

That must of ticked off @Jordysnordy:roflmao:@ADAMANTIUM did you a favor though.  Someone in theory, could have come in and tied you with a complete description and dethroned your #1 spot!:tonofbricks:

In all honesty lol I debated posting as you're number three and again y'all were free spirited, and I didn't want to ruin it, it is why I mentioned cordial.

He did win in 2016 anyway, so maybe with the "right stuff" ??? Maybe they'll consider someone else if done up fabulous 😂 

I don't pretend to know all the avenues things get chosen though, I try with my sets :roflmao:

On 5/8/2024 at 4:56 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Bring it on! It’s going to be very, very hard for someone to pass me. I’m always looking to upgrade the few non SS books I have. I could have them signed by Moench but I would rather find another Trimpe or even a Green SS copy.

I'm ready to buy issue #1 in 9.8 condition, but I see a ton of auctions to choose from.  Are all Universal Grade 9.8s with White Pages considered equal?  As in I may as well buy the cheapest one I see (looks to be just shy of $500)?  Or is there something else I should be looking at?  Sorry for the beginner question but I am brand new to graded comics, and the Godzilla #23 9.8 I bought on eBay 2 weeks ago was my first ever graded comic. :-)

On 5/11/2024 at 6:55 PM, Gus Landt said:

I'm ready to buy issue #1 in 9.8 condition, but I see a ton of auctions to choose from.  Are all Universal Grade 9.8s with White Pages considered equal?  As in I may as well buy the cheapest one I see (looks to be just shy of $500)?  Or is there something else I should be looking at?  Sorry for the beginner question but I am brand new to graded comics, and the Godzilla #23 9.8 I bought on eBay 2 weeks ago was my first ever graded comic. :-)

A good question to which there is a complicated answer, technically according to CGC a 9.8 is a 9.8, however "buy the book not the grade" is a common phrase to learn in time.

With mostly older books the way the front and back cover are stapled can have what is called a "miswrap", where at the spine and where the front meets the back can be misaligned. I don't have a 9.8 example but will show you a Hulk 180 to get an idea. In spoiler see how the white is not straight up and down?

Spoiler

3204664_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NC8xMS8yMDI0IDI6M

Also certain defects are found even in 9.8's so technically some 9.8's stand out, with color and other pros and cons. Sometimes due to pics on sellers listings it can be hard to see, but usually CGC has a definitive 9.8 book come out right and looking 9.8, while some might find defects showing as a "poor 9.8". Basically the 9.6 and 9.8 difference can be slight and especially to a beginner. That also might seem too critical to a novice, it is just something accustomed to collectors as they've seen enough books, and the nuances are learned over time.

You will find "buy the book and not the grade" rings true or especially true from time to time, but definitely not as often in 9.8 comparatively within the grade. I can't say just buy the lowest price, but it isn't like driving off a cliff if you do lol 

:cheers: 

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 7:55 PM, Gus Landt said:

If you value money, I'd be more patient going forward.  Bronze Age and later Comics on the whole are free-falling overall in FMV. Buying stuff when it's hot is never prudent.  IMHO #1 will be sub $350 sometime between Oct 2024 and Feb 2025. Its a High 9.8 population book and demand by then will drop significantly.

If money is no object then simply offer Jordy $150K for his #1 ranked collection :)

Edited by MAR1979

Posted (edited)

I second perhaps waiting on the purchase due to the movies, however it has been in grade and value for a while, idk if any spike happened but keep this in mind when making purchases, as it is good to know what has history and what is the flavor of the month so to speak. @Gus Landt

Not saying yay or nay here for myself 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/11/2024 at 7:55 PM, Gus Landt said:

Wait a year as prices will be much lower. You don't want to do the FOMO effect. An example will be both New Mutants #98  and Incredible Hulk#181  will be at a lower price after the Deadpool and Wolverine movie in July. It always happens like clockwork. 

On 5/11/2024 at 10:37 PM, MAR1979 said:

If you value money, I'd be more patient going forward.  Bronze Age and later Comics on the whole are free-falling overall in FMV. Buying stuff when it's hot is never prudent.  IMHO #1 will be sub $350 sometime between Oct 2024 and Feb 2025. Its a High 9.8 population book and demand by then will drop significantly.

If money is no object then simply offer Jordy $150K for his #1 ranked collection :)

Everything is for sale for the right price!