• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's Godzilla (1977) Club
1 1

138 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2022 at 11:58 AM, Xenosmilus said:

Wow! It must be a few people having a bidding war and no one needed the #5.

#5 wasn’t a 9.8

I wasn’t even close on the 8 & 16

On 5/5/2022 at 1:44 PM, Jordysnordy said:

8, 16 and 20 are ridiculous prices - I don't care how much you "need" those books for your run.

Yeah I have my limits. Hopefully I’ll locate some raw copies to sub. Usually have decent luck when I focus on finding something.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:44 PM, Jordysnordy said:

8, 16 and 20 are ridiculous prices - I don't care how much you "need" those books for your run.

Some registry collectors are like that. They always think they will never see another. Remind me what you get in $ for having a completed registry set? Is it nothing or less than that?

Thing is when dealing with a "registry war" is when those involved in the  fighting obtain  what they want the going rate of the book plummets.  Although in case of this title I think many have noticed the "cool" factor of specific issues like 23.

#20 worst Reed Richards ever. Wrong hair, wrong color, no trademarked gray temples. How on earth did that slip by Jim Shooter! For me it totally ruins the cover

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/5/2022 at 3:42 PM, MAR1979 said:

Some registry collectors are like that. They always think they will never see another. Remind me what you get in $ for having a completed registry set? Is it nothing or less than that?

Thing is when dealing with a "registry war" is when those involved in the  fighting obtain  what they want the going rate of the book plummets.  Although in case of this title I think many have notices the "cool" factor of specific issues like 23. As for #20 worst Reed Richards ever. Wrong hair, wrong color, no trademarked gray temples. How on earth did that slip by Jim Shooter! For me it totally ruins the cover

The thoughts on the registry, I'd also be curious "others thoughts?"

I'm Currently putting together the Phoenix and dark run, but I feel the sentiment of your post as all the "keys" per se may have been obtained.

I struggle with run collecting, when there are alternatives, but if I can see putting the run together in raws, I'm trying to translate that to slabs. Like after reading, or watching the animated series.

I may be off topic or this is seen as a rant, there are two board emojis for that lol

Still, it is hard for me. I like the run, I love the reading, and the show was a pivotal point for me. Imagine ASM 121 and 122 spread over 50+ issues  :roflmao:

I respect the sentiments of the post, cause it would seem I'm not getting anything out of it but only for me

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/5/2022 at 6:41 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The thoughts on the registry, I'd also be curious "others thoughts?"

Registry collecting I'm guessing provides many with a nice challenge and or diversion.  CGC and PSA (outstanding example) started down the registry path to boost their own business and it does work.

Until I have a way to use input via barcode through an app as I do with PSA dealing with CGC Registry for me is way too time consuming .

There is no wrong or right nor 1 vs 0 for collecting comics. However registry collecting for sake of registry collecting most often is not fiscally-wise but if your having fun and have the dough the Rock On

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/5/2022 at 6:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

Registry collecting I'm guessing provides many with a nice challenge and or diversion.  CGC and PSA (outstanding example) started down the registry path to boost their own business and it does work.

Until I have a way to use input via barcode through an app as I do with PSA dealing with CGC Registry for me is way too time consuming .

There is no wrong or right nor 1 vs 0 for collecting comics. However registry collecting for sake of registry collecting most often is not fiscally-wise but if your having fun and have the dough the Rock On

Ya lol I kind of dont have the dough, but lol

Point well taken :)

What I do find unnerving is that I've passed on some modern slabs that would be popular with folk, due to low registry points. I like to read those as well, but to make up for "over spending" on already read/viewed slabs for runs instead readable raws is, I have somehow limited my moderns to mostly what I find in the bins.

I enjoy going out every weekend or sometimes weekday to find the gems, but when I should have it "in grade" then I pony up.

1) In short older books =slab/registry

2) Moderns= thrill of hunt/no registry, which I'm reconsidering, also making me question why I do #1.  :roflmao:

Thanks for letting me vent, an outsider's perspective is appreciated  :)

On 5/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

On 5/5/2022 at 7:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya lol I kind of dont have the dough, but lol

Point well taken :)

What I do find unnerving is that I've passed on some modern slabs that would be popular with folk, due to low registry points. I like to read those as well, but to make up for "over spending" on already read/viewed slabs for runs instead readable raws is, I have somehow limited my moderns to mostly what I find in the bins.

I enjoy going out every weekend or sometimes weekday to find the gems, but when I should have it "in grade" then I pony up.

1) In short older books =slab/registry

2) Moderns= thrill of hunt/no registry, which I'm reconsidering, also making me question why I do #1.  :roflmao:

Thanks for letting me vent, an outsider's perspective is appreciated  :)

I will chime in on this since I do happen to have the # 1 Godzilla set. Thankfully I finished the set in 9.8 years ago and just tinker here and there now if there is an upgrade to be had (thankfully there won’t be many except a few price variants and SS books). And to be honest the way prices are now I would have a very hard time shelling out the money that some issues are commanding. Godzilla 2 was the 1st comic I ever remember owning and that’s what pulled me towards completing this run in 9.8

Believe it or not that copy of # 2 has been at CGC for about 10 months waiting to be graded and you can be sure I will post it here when it finally comes back. It is a VERY well loved copy and I will be shocked if it comes back higher than 0.5 😂