• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Marvel Implosion is On

11 posts in this topic

So, did everybody see the "tsunami" of Marvel $#&* that hit the stands on Wednesday? Remember the cryptic marketing slogan Marvel teased us with a couple of months ago - "Who is Gus Beezer?" Well, after seeing Gus Beezer/X-Men, Gus Beezer/Spider-Man and Gus Beezer/The Incredible Hulk hit the stands this week, I think the answer is, "Who the $*&(* cares who Gus Beezer is?"

Did anybody pick up this garbage (I flipped through it and couldn't believe how bad it looked)? I'm all for marketing comics to younger readers, but I really don't think this is the way to do it. Plus, the $2.99 price tag isn't going to help sell any books to 12-year olds on an allowance.

As for the Tsunami manga titles, I flipped through Sentinel #1 and the others that hit the stands...I again have to wonder who will be buying this stuff. I know a lot of people like manga, but I would think that manga fans will be purchasing the real thing instead of this watered-down pseudo-manga Marvel product.

I picked up The Call #1...boy, did Marvel drop the "real-life heroes" theme in a hurry, injecting all sorts of fantasy/super-hero elements including Nick Fury and a Lady Deathstrike-like character in a bid to boost flagging sales (i.e., SELLING OUT). I learned that they are also cancelling the book after 6 issues - remember last year that they were talking about a 2-year minimum life for this series, replete with action figure line, etc.?

And, of course, Marvel is inflicting even more lame Wolverine mini-series on us, with Wolverine: X-Isle #1 also hitting the stands this week. Gee...I couldn't live without YET ANOTHER Wolverine mini-series (no, I'm not buying it, and have boycotted all the recent Wolverine minis).

I think we're right on track for a big shakeout of Marvel titles sometime in the next 12-18 months...

Gene

I bought Sentinel # 1. I liked the artwork

I am trying to figure out how the story is gonna go.

Is it about the sentinel?

The kid?

Will the sentinel be the kids mentor?

Will the sentinel turn the kid into a cyborg and make the kid popular at school?

I guess with a title like Marville hitting the stands, for what 7 ishs., these other are going to get their exposure. I flipped through a couple of pages of Sentinel today. No draw for me. Just too much stuff out there at outrageous prices.

Things were brighter at Marvel, but this is like spending hard earned money on something that will not pan out. "New Universe" revisited. This will quietly be forgotten in the midst of all the pub that the movies will be delivering the next few years. We can only hope that the next wave of "creativity" gives us better material.

No I didn't buy any of them so far.

However, the ones that have potential IMO haven't been released yet. Such as:

Brian K. Vaughan's (Y The Last Man) Mystique and Runaways

Since Namor is now being drawn by Carlos Pacheco it is now at least worthy of a flip through.

Kev

Looking forward to Venom & Mystique later this month though....they should be pretty good

I admit I'll pick those up as well...I really love the way Mystique's character has evolved over the last 15 or so years....

Venom I find a bit boring..but will check it out as well.....I don't know if my wallet can afford anymore titles....Is there anything like foodstamps for comics?...I'm dying over here!!!

I buy almost everything and I'm going to pass on this Tsunami stuff. There is just too much other good reading (CrossGen books, Y-The Last Man, Ultimate line) to have to bother with this substandard material.

On a separate note, I liked when Marvel had it's M2 line of books. The style and artwork brought me back to the late 60's early 70's. Of all those books only Spidergirl survived. I think a return of that line would do better than this Tsunami stuff.

I tell ya it's getting to the point with these increasing prices and it's like an addiction..

When I lived in Colorado I had two other guys that were into comics and one had a home based business...**Ching ching!** State Tax ID!!! so we had a Diamond account! Was SWEET!!! we just put our previews order in and paid up front cost plus divided shipping.....plus we were into Bowen items and DVD's he was into collecting figures...so we had over $500.00 month order to keep our cost low!!! I need to find some guys like that in my area!....only thing that sucks with the military once ya get established....it's time to move! Now that I'm so addicted to comics..I have to pay top dollar........I can't cut back..I have to many titles that i like and then vertigo keeps pumping out great new stuff....and I make the mistake of picking up something new, like it, then get all the back issues...thank god for Trades!