• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Mateo Area

33 posts in this topic

Nikos,

San Mateo CA?

-CW

Not really, but there are many forumites such as myself and CW who live in close proximity!

There is Lee's Comics, which is a good place for current moderns and GN's:

2222 S. El Camino Real

(2 blocks south of Highway 92)

San Mateo, CA 94403

Jimm has the details on the close one. If your up for a little drive there is the Comic Collector's shop about 45 min away in mountain view.

When are you coming through?

I'll be there this coming Friday night till Monday night.

I can leave the wife and kids with her gradparents, so 45 minute ride wont be that bad for me and my little man 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree that Lee's can be a fun place to browse for esoteric stuff you haven't seen before.

I haven't been down there in well over 3 years. Good luck and have a great time.

Lee's comics is well known for blow out prices on VF and below books.

They don't have the greatest HG stock on hand, but they're fun none the less.

Don't you mean Comic Collector Shop for blow out prices? They sell most non key VF and below for 50% off guide. Lee's rarely discounts books, not even low grade.

I agree that you should definitely make the trip to Comic Collector Shop. It's not that big, but t's the bst shop in the area.

Comic Collector Shop

167 El Camino East

Mountina View, CA 94040

Nikos,

How long can you get away? Lee's will take you about 10-20 minutes to look through everything; they're pretty slim on back issues and wall books. If you can get away for a little while, I'd recommend emailing or PM-ing Marc at House of Comics. He's over in Berkeley, so it'll be a little of a drive, but Marc is great and his back stock is nice.

Down farther on the peninsula is Comic Collector's Shop in Mountain View or Heroes in Campbell. Heroes and Comic Collector's Shop set up in San Diego, so their stock might be relatively low right now.

Its a 4 day trip, but I was planning on spending 1 day at Comic Shops, I will take notes of all places you guys recommend and hopefully hit a few of them. smile.gif

Maybe Lee's changed his business model, but I remember for years they were a blowout store in the 90's. At Wonder Con and at the store they would tend to grade everything in only 4 grades (G, VG, F, or VF) They would tend to grade all over the place, sometimes a "Good would be a Fine"

Lee was haggle central.

Cant remember if its Saturday or Sunday, but I know Monday I"m taking my little guy to catch an A's game. I will find out tonight.

Comicdey, I'd would love to do some fishing out there, but unfortunalety my time is limited this time around. Hopefully one day real soon.

Cant remember if its Saturday or Sunday, but I know Monday I"m taking my little guy to catch an A's game. I will find out tonight.

Comicdey, I'd would love to do some fishing out there, but unfortunalety my time is limited this time around. Hopefully one day real soon.

The HOC "crew" was at the A's game on Thursday. Fabulous time and the crowds have been great. You should love it. The A's are a really scrappy, attractive young team.

Best,

Marc

Sounds like you will have a great time. I live right next to San Mateo (City) in Burlingame about 10 mins. from Lee's. They usually have a big sale about once every 2-3 months. If your around drop me a line.