• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Twenty SA Marvel 1st Super-Hero Appearance Issues!!!

42 posts in this topic

Here is a list, in order, of what I consider the Top 20 Silver Age Marvel Issues that contain the 1st Appearance(s) (or 1st Appearance in the SA) of Super-Heroes. Probably not much debate on the first 15 (except for the order), but the last 5 is where the fun begins.

1) AF #15 (1st Spidey)

2) FF #1 (1st FF)

3) X-Men #1 (1st X-Men)

4) Incredible Hulk #1 (1st Hulk)

5) Tales of Suspense #39 (1st Iron-Man)

6) Journey into Mystery #83 (1st Thor)

7) Avengers #4 ((1st SA Captain America)

8) DD #1 (1st Daredevil)

9) FF #48 (1st Silver Surfer)

10) FF #4 (1st SA Sub-Mariner)

11) Strange Tales #110 (1st Doctor Strange)

12) Tales to Astonish #27 (1st Ant-Man)

13) Avengers #57 (1st Vision)

14) X-Men #4 (1st Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch)

15) Tales of Suspense #57 (1st Hawkeye)

16) FF #52 (1st Black Panther)

17) Marvel Super-Heroes #12 (1st Captain Marvel)

18) Tales of Suspense #52 (1st Black Widow)

19) Tales to Astonish #44 (1st Wasp)

20) Captain America #117 (1st Falcon)

Comments, missing someone,etc.

No love for Sgt. Fury?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No kidding...an easy top-15 there...maybe top 10.

Definitely not a Super-Hero in the Sgt. Fury series. Maybe Strange Tales #135 (first Nick Fury Agent of Shield).

Also, ASM #14 is the first appearance of the Green Goblin (a villian).

The next list would be the top 20 SA Marvel 1st Appearances of Villains. But not yet.

What's your definition of Super-Hero? There are others on your list that I probably wouldn't classify as a Superhero...Thor is a god, Iron Man, Ant Man, Wasp, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc. all get their "superpowers" through technology.

I'd definitely put him in the top 12.

I'd swap your 5 and 7. I know, I know, first SA appearance, but I stick to my guns! Bringing Cap back was a bigger occurance than creating Thor or Iron Man.

I'd also take your:

And make it:

Ant-man didn't last long, at least as Ant-Man. Vision is too boring to list above the likes of guys that have had or starred in their own on-going, or a multi-appearance.

I'd toss your Falcon out and add Wonder Man. But that's just being nitpicky.

I'd toss your Falcon out and add Wonder Man. But that's just being nitpicky.

Actually, that's the type of input (debate?) that I'm looking for. If you want to include someone, then who get's replaced.

There are plenty of other Super-Heroes such as all the Inhumans, Hercules, Giant-Man (different than Ant-Man), the Watcher (maybe), etc.

Just trying to get a good discussion going.

No love for Sgt. Fury?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No kidding...an easy top-15 there...maybe top 10.

Definitely not a Super-Hero in the Sgt. Fury series. Maybe Strange Tales #135 (first Nick Fury Agent of Shield).

By that logic, TTA # 27 doesn't belong on that list either...just another pre-hero book.

Nick Fury is a pretty pivotal character in Marvel mythology, with multiple SA titles, and his first appearance is certainly worth a top-20 ranking.

What's your definition of Super-Hero? There are others on your list that I probably wouldn't classify as a Superhero...Thor is a god, Iron Man, Ant Man, Wasp, Hawkeye, Black Widow, etc. all get their "superpowers" through technology.

i realize it's all just a matter of opinions, but this argument borders on the ridiculous (sorry). to say that Thor and Iron Man are NOT superheroes is almost absurd. to say that Sgt Fury is NOT a Superhero makes sense...........(and i agree that after he becomes Nick Fury - Agent of Shield, he enters the Superhero realm).....................IMHO.

i also think that we can probably (for arguments sake) consider Antman/Giantman/Goliath /whomever, as a single entry not worthy of multiple mentions...................

Yours - Mine

2 - 1

1 - 2

3 - 3

4 - 4

7 - 5

5 - 6

6 - 7

8 - 8

-- - 9 Avengers #1 (1st Avengers as a team)

10 - 10

9 - 11

14 - 12

16 - 13

-- - 14 Strange Tales 135 (1st apperearance of Sgt. Fury?)

12 - 15

17 - 16

11 - 17

-- - 18 Fantastic Four 44 (1st Inhumans)

15 - 19

13 - 20

I dropped 18 through 20.

i realize it's all just a matter of opinions, but this argument borders on the ridiculous (sorry). to say that Thor and Iron Man are NOT superheroes is almost absurd. to say that Sgt Fury is NOT a Superhero makes sense...........(and i agree that after he becomes Nick Fury - Agent of Shield, he enters the Superhero realm).....................IMHO.

i also think that we can probably (for arguments sake) consider Antman/Giantman/Goliath /whomever, as a single entry not worthy of multiple mentions...................

I was arguing for argument's sake. grin.gif I guess if the point Sfilosa's trying to make is to distinguish between Superheros vs Westerns vs War vs Romance vs Pre-hero, I can see why Sgt Fury would be left off the list. But, I'm with Jive and think that he belongs in the superhero genre.

I'd be satisfied with including ST 135.

flowerred.gif

Some other superheroes for your consideration, even though I don't think they make the top 20 except for Dr. Droom:

Kazar

Havok

Banshee

Guardians of the Galaxy

Black Knight

Dr. Droom

My list:

1) Fantastic Four

2) Spider-Man

3) Prof. X, Beast, Cyclops, Angel, Marvel Girl (X-Men)

4) Hulk

5) Thor

6) Iron Man

7) Captain America

8) Daredevil

9) Silver Surfer

10) Sub-Mariner

11) Doctor Strange

12) Nick Fury

13) Black Panther

14) Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch

15) Black Widow