• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BidVille.com - A Worthy Alternative to eBay?

22 posts in this topic

They're going to have the same problem that every competitor to eBay has ever had: no wants to sell at the new site because there are no buyers, and there are no buyers because there are no sellers.

plus...

first auction i looked at, the guy had a bunch of these:

tnallmymarvelcomics020vk.jpg

hey, great! bidville won't let you host images on your own site! sure, it keeps you from, oh i dunno, hotlinking an image from comiclink, but gee, those scans are sure going to either be expensive from a selling stanpoint, or craappy from a buying one!

way to go, bidville!

Guys, I think we should have our own "forumite only" regular auction feature. Think about it, no ebay fees, no consignment bidness, etc. I mean, how many times do we put something up on ebay, only to have it won by a forumite with ebay taking a graft?

Maybe I should try a little experiment in the marketplace sometime... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Guys, I think we should have our own "forumite only" regular auction feature. Think about it, no ebay fees, no consignment bidness, etc. I mean, how many times do we put something up on ebay, only to have it won by a forumite with ebay taking a graft?

Maybe I should try a little experiment in the marketplace sometime... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Perhaps. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

[been thinking of listing some books in the Marketplace.]

Its a good idea I think. Would be interesting to work out the details but certainly worth considering!

Its a good idea I think. Would be interesting to work out the details but certainly worth considering!

I'd be willing to give it a go, certainly. Maybe we can get a few forumites together and list a smattering of books in an auction-type format in the marketplace. Like you say, we'd have to work out details....I'm thinking people could post their bids, and naturally each sucessive post would be an attempt to outbid...or we could come up with some sort of system that would keep people anonymous....I dunno, I think it just might work!

Actually something I've been thinking about for awhile now...why are we always giving our money to ebay all the time?

If you have a auction site here it'll be miserable for sellers IMHO. How many buyers will be bidding on my, say, VF- Spidey 130? 1? If any? If it sells it'll sell for 1.00. On Ebay there are thousands of people looking at my auctions plus the thousands on my email list. It'll sell for 5.00 or more. Same with HG key expensive books. Would I want to put Arex's Avengers #1 CGC 4.5 here in an auction or on Ebay? I want maximum exposure for all of the books I decide to sell. How many people will see it here? 200 max? How many will bid? This is a very, very small market compared to Ebay. It wouldn't work from a selling standpoint. I'd just start the bidding at what I'd ask for in the marketplace. Don't mean to be a downer but it just doesn't make sense to me.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Some fair points there...though I'm not sure about the "thousands" of people looking at your auctions on ebay...my ebay auction counters rarely top out at over 200, anyhow.

It's a thought, I dunno. Like so many of us, I am tired of the feebay bull. Just trying to brainstorm some alternatives...

I guess I am admittedly looking at this from the point of view of a golden age enthusiast. I think there's a lot of low and midgrade GA that could do better in the marketplace than on ebay where there's so much product too look at, and the general public doesn't trust you like we trust each other here.

i dunno about the auction thingy. seems like it would invite a lot of outsiders in to take a look around, although they wouldn't be able to bid unless they register...

i'm thinking something along the lines of a forumite Mall, where people could put up books they have for sale, and others can make Best Offer-type bids on them. there wouldn't be a time limit in this scenario...

i dunno about the auction thingy. seems like it would invite a lot of outsiders in to take a look around, although they wouldn't be able to bid unless they register...

i'm thinking something along the lines of a forumite Mall, where people could put up books they have for sale, and others can make Best Offer-type bids on them. there wouldn't be a time limit in this scenario...

that idea has some potential

that idea has some potential

so do you, kid!

thumbsup2.gif

Sal, I like the thought. I would be willing to donate some time, if possible, on assisting someone in putting somthing like that together. I am not a programmer though.

I like it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Sorry to urinate on the parade, but the MarketPlace thread works pretty good IMO. Speaking from my personal experience on MP, anyone on the boards that will purchase it will usually do it within two weeks or so. No go, then I dump on eBay or another comic site. Just indicate firm or nego on the prices and handle it via PMs. confused-smiley-013.gif It boils down to if you need the $$$ now or are you willing to keep it on the MarketPlace. The only downfall is that you need to bumpit.gif the thread often. There are often interested buyers that will only take action if the item is endangered of leaving, so keeping the list fresh is important to keep buyers engaged.