• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports cards vs Comics
4 4

174 posts in this topic

I dont follow all sports cards, mainly just modern basketball. I can tell you right now that this year's rookie class is hot hot hot! All basketball retail boxes being scooped up quick in Target and Walmart. Collectors/investors paying top dollar for higher end boxes/cases. Everyone wants a piece of Zionmania even non sports cards people. 

Lebron James rookies are one of the hottest cards people are buying, same with Luka and Kobe. People are now paying around $7k for Lebron's PSA 10 chrome rookie cards (a couple months ago, they were going for around $2k!). Looks like vintage cards and memorabilia are doing pretty well too!

Not everything though is gravy in the cars world. Some out there are trimming their cards to achieve 10s. PSA and BGS for some reason cannot catch these trimmed cards and have been caught grading what once were 8s or 9s are now 10s. There are a lot of cases with this, which puts collecting cards at a higher risk in the long run I believe. 

But yeah those are my thoughts.

18 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Not everything though is gravy in the cars world. Some out there are trimming their cards to achieve 10s. PSA and BGS for some reason cannot catch these trimmed cards and have been caught grading what once were 8s or 9s are now 10s.

Aren't cards a standard size? Can't the grading companies just measure them? (shrug)

Go out and try to find a case of 2016 Bowman Chrome Baseball Vending boxes.  Huge rookie crop and cards go from 4 to 5 figures with no hesitation at all.

Take a look at what 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout prospect cards bring.  

Gretzky O Pee Chee rookies have exploded in price in the past 2 years in a similar way that Hulk 181 has.

3 hours ago, comicwiz said:

This is why I saw comic book pressing as such a gross transgression that wasn't properly being vetted. Instead it was rewarded, and rather significantly in cases where it was used to obtain 9.8's on comics deemed impossible due to the cheap manufacturing methods.

This was, for someone who saw the writing on the wall, an inevitable progression of the issue. Whether it will come back to cause issues for the less severe practice of pressing, only time will tell.

I took the liberty to reword (and bold) some of your statement.  Doesn't it seem to be an eerily parallel transgression in both markets.

At least PSA and Beckett don't have in house services to better enhance the grade of your card.................... yet

43 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Aren't cards a standard size? Can't the grading companies just measure them? (shrug)

Not all are standard sizes. There are some oversized cards and some thicker than others. Also forgot to mention that some of those thick cards (often times the higher end ones) that hold a piece of jersey in them are being swapped out by just common jersey pieces with a nice patch or a logo of some sort to raise the eye appeal better and "value" for buyers. A lot of these factory packed jersey cards are usually the boring one color maybe two color kind. Some of these scammers are instead replacing them with ones I mentioned above and yet BGS would give it a universal grade without them knowing.

To me it's a mystery as to how they can't detect trimmed cards as well as swapped out jersey cards. 

2 hours ago, Krismusic said:

I dont think so with super hero era as the audience is huge, you have parents, kids, uncles, aunts and grandparents knowing who spiderman, batman and superman are they are house hold names that have many generations growing up with them in different ways but they are engrained into our culture and will continue to be in our culture I think for many decades to come. 

I have 2 uncles, 4 aunts and 4 grandparents that have no clue who a super hero is.  I'm joking

You gotta remember.  Just because it's important in your world doesn't mean the rest of the big old world relates.

27 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

I took the liberty to reword (and bold) some of your statement.  Doesn't it seem to be an eerily parallel transgression in both markets.

At least PSA and Beckett don't have in house services to better enhance the grade of your card.................... yet

A thread that attempted to draw on the similarities of cards and comics when they are altered to look like they were cared for better than they really are:

4 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

A thread that attempted to draw on the similarities of cards and comics when they are altered to look like they were cared for better than they really are:

Interesting.... I'll have to give this thread a look.

On another note, there's a saying that you simply have to " follow the money "

If someone took a deep dive into the relationships between grading companies and auction houses.  I think they'll see a few names popping up more then once.

22 hours ago, Krismusic said:

pop culture has influenced comic book sales.. also a newer sports super stars emerge people aren't spending on the older sports card stuff like a Ken Griffey jr rookie card.. or wendel clark, doug Gilmour cards etc.. they are super stars for their era but as the generations change and newer players come I think those super stars are valued to that generation that watched them play etc.. so the market is narrow for their value unless they become the greatest of all time kind of thing.

Where comic book characters are the same characters maybe modified a bit for modern stories etc.. but essentially the market audience is greater/wider than people who watched the former sports stars play.  

I gave you a like for mentioning TML players. Go Leafs Go!

17 hours ago, Red_Hood said:

Go out and try to find a case of 2016 Bowman Chrome Baseball Vending boxes.  Huge rookie crop and cards go from 4 to 5 figures with no hesitation at all.

Take a look at what 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout prospect cards bring.  

Gretzky O Pee Chee rookies have exploded in price in the past 2 years in a similar way that Hulk 181 has.

How much do Gretzky cards go for these days? I can’t remember what happened to my copy as a kid. I probably lost it in a game of “Farthies”.

Older stuff always does better.   Holds true for both comics and cards.   Lot less of them, and in good condition.  Plus it was great back in the 1950's and 1960's when there were at most only 2 sports card manufacturers (TOPPS and Bowman).  

The industry really did itself in, when they branched out to 5 sets in the 1990's, then multiple sets by multiple manufacturers, then chase cards, refractrors, cut signatures, cut jersey cards, QVC, Home Shopping Network etc etc.  

There used to be a 9 sports card shops within 5 miles of each other here.  Now....1

There were monthly sports card shows, usually with HOF signers, or current players (I live in a Spring Training hub), now.....maybe 1 per yer. 

On 3/6/2020 at 10:02 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

I used to collect both as a kid...but I've noticed a massive drop in the value of sports cards and not so much comics.

Can anybody enlighten me on why this has taken place?

I think keys in every collectible hold their value🏆🏆🏆🏆

2 hours ago, piper said:

How much do Gretzky cards go for these days? I can’t remember what happened to my copy as a kid. I probably lost it in a game of “Farthies”.

It all depends on condition but a PSA 9 will bring approximately $15,000.  The OPC demands much higher prices then the Topps version.

Beware of fake copies of high end vintage sports cards too!  The most reprinted I would have to say is the 86 Fleer Jordan rookies.  A lot of them are almost the exact same thing like the original and you would need to know what to look for to it being a reprint.  I got scammed once when I bought a PSA graded 86 Fleer Jordan rookie and the card inside is a fake.  After having countless discussions with sportscard collectors about this, to make the long story short, the actual PSA holder was also a fake!