• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAD MAX: FURIOSA starring Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth (2024)
6 6

279 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2024 at 4:34 AM, Bosco685 said:

image.thumb.png.5d169acc7d2ca60ff66951ad27e1c04d.png

Ok, a B+ CinemaScore isn't that great is it?  Usually you need an A something to get good word of mouth buzz, right.

On 5/25/2024 at 8:31 AM, media_junkie said:

Ok, a B+ CinemaScore isn't that great is it?  Usually you need an A something to get good word of mouth buzz, right.

Adjust for the R-Rating which then a B+ is a good rating.

PG-13 movies need to hit at least an A- to be considered solid.

Saw it.  Thought it was okay.  Also a mostly empty theater, however, which does not bode well for future prospects.  

Posted (edited)

Will probably pay to see this. Screenings were short and scarce in this local unfortunately. Might take my brother and his friend, have avoided spoilers but it seems to peak my interest 😕 😔 💬 🤔 😆 and will give it a shot. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Screenwriter of Thor, X-Men: First Class, The Flash, Rim of the World, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous, Empire of Wolves, Raven

On 5/26/2024 at 4:17 AM, Bosco685 said:

Screenwriter of Thor, X-Men: First Class, The Flash, Rim of the World, Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous, Empire of Wolves, Raven

6. People wait to hear positive word of mouth from those they know before putting their money into anything Hollywood creates these days because they have been "burned" far too many times.

It was a great - definitely one you want to see on the big screen - though not on the level of Fury Road, which would be hard to top. I loved the Wasteland backstory and the old characters from Fury Road (including the Easter Egg to an especially important character). My one gripe is the same gripe I have with movies today - why are they so freaking long? This was almost 2 1/2 hours and really could have used an editor to chop off at least 1/2 hour. With the previews added in, you’re in the theater for 3 hours. I think that is one thing that drives folks away. All in all, this is worth checking out.

On 5/26/2024 at 6:52 AM, piper said:

While true, I’ve seen a number of good films this year with good word of mouth without good attendance. I suspect people are waiting to stream them.

agree with you, streaming is cheaper and far more convenient and many home setups are very good.

On 5/26/2024 at 9:34 AM, Artboy99 said:

agree with you, streaming is cheaper and far more convenient and many home setups are very good.

And when I am in a theater with only one other person and she is noisy cramming popcorn in her face, you wonder why some give up on the theater experience.

But still. Some good films are failing that shouldn't. It's a shame.  

On 5/26/2024 at 7:38 AM, Bosco685 said:

And when I am in a theater with only one other person and she is noisy cramming popcorn in her face, you wonder why some give up on the theater experience.

But still. Some good films are failing that shouldn't. It's a shame.  

Yeah that happened to me as well the last time I went to see Dune 2, had people around me checking their phones, noisily eating, talking to each other during the film, etc.

Beyond the theater I will dare to say many film-making studios are simply not "listening" to the public and continue to make disastrous decisions so perhaps they are doing it to themselves.

Posted (edited)

Some responses riffing on a few of these past posts.

No teens in the theater? For real.  I noticed that the trailers (abysmal) were for the usual retread/reboots but almost aimed at hoping to get Gen X back in the theaters (The Crow? Beetlejuice Beetlejuice?).  It's almost like the teen audience they courted for so many years (PG-13 horror? FFS) has abandoned them to phones, streaming, youtube and whatnot, and now they're begging an adult audience to come back.

Film too long/unpleasant movie theaters?  It's weird.  The modern cinema is a mish-mash of experiences.  The environs are amazing.  The big wide recliner seats are so cool (but means there is half the capacity, obviously not an issue) and the screens and sound systems are better than ever (I think they've learned to balance sheer volume with more complicated sound renderings).  However, the staffing/cleanliness is on the decline.  You buy tickets online, and there just aren't that many ushers/attendants.  Maybe because they don't have enough money to pay very many.  Anyways, so, yes, long film.  There I am about to burst from the seams from drinking my 8 dollar half gallon diet coke, but I wait until the credits hit the non visual mark to leave (as do the other 6 people in the theater).  I go to the small bathroom in the middle of the theater area, on the heels of another guy obviously happy to see the restroom.  He grabs the urinal, so I have to go to the stall.  WHAT A SCENE.  Somebody has thrown up red bits everywhere and the toilet has not been flushed.  I did my business, holding my nose (but not my eyes, I'm not gonna add to the biomess with poor aim), but it was quite the sight.  I've seen worse bathrooms (in bars or punker squats LOL), but holy cow.  On the way out I stopped at the concession stand to let them know "um, there's a mess in that bathroom" but no one seemed too concerned.  I tortured my wife with the story on the walk to the parking lot and noted it was in many ways a perfect ending to the grisly sights seen in that movie :D

For what it's worth, I didn't think it was too long.  I feel that way a lot of times with the 2 1/2 hour obligatory runtime these days, especially having to endure the cr*pfest 45 minute action scene at the end of most, but I enjoyed every.single.minute of this one.

I gave it a 9 on the IMDB.  My wife gave it a 5 when my daughter asked what she thought :roflmao: (no characters to care about)

Dune 2 was an awesome theater experience, too.  Two good ones in one year isn't bad at all for me these days...

Edited by Darwination

The illegal streaming market is killing the cinema

Fmovies already had it up - POTA, Ghostbusters - all on the site, for free, within hours of release.

$30 or sit at home and watch an HD copy - no-brainer for some, and the only option for those on low wages or low working hours.

In the words of Immortan Joe. ..

"mediocre "

This Mad Max movie probably could have used a little bit of Mad Max?

I thought Chris Hemsworth character was really disappointing.  Generic 

On 5/26/2024 at 9:37 PM, Beige said:

$30 or sit at home and watch an HD copy - no-brainer for some, and the only option for those on low wages or low working hours.

You know I have never taken to the "high seas" to watch a movie, but yeah I can understand it.  In today's economy with stagnating wages/hours and rising costs of basic things such as food/gas/utilities/rent, who can afford a night out at the movies anymore?  My Ex-wife and I took our 2 sons to see "Garfield" Friday to celebrate their last day of school.  Between the four us for tickets and snacks, $100 easy.  Ugh.

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 12:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

The elephant in the room with this film is a vegan-esk looking woman stepping into the post apocalyptic boots of Mad Max.   In a setting where brutality is the constant theme of survival over death, having a adolescent waif wearing the grease paint as the person we're meant to rally behind, is a faux par from the get go.    

I personally thought she managed to carry it off.   They played her with cunning, and skill over muscle and gasoline.    Anya is an adept actor, just poorly cast in this film.    Going from the chest board to a gun-show's worth of armament isn't lining up with the fan's following her cinematic career. 

Edited by Microchip