• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Double Action comics #1
2 2

66 posts in this topic

I believe that it's quite clear. Ian is saying the book doesn't exist.

It is clear that at some point in the past sixty six years that it DID exist.

It is also probable that there was an ashcan. That's the one mentioned in Overstreet.

But just like Action 1 and Superman 1, there is no reason to expect the cover of the ashcan to be the same as the cover of the comic. Which is further confused and muddied by the fact that I don't believe the comic itself was ever sold at a newsstand, whereas the number two issue was.

What I want proof of, is where that ashcan mentioned in Overstreet, is right now. Does THAT still exist ???

It's not a fake.

I promised not to break a confidence and I keep my promises.

But it's not a fake. It's the real artwork from the time. Whether a finished copy ever did exist and has been lost to the ravages of time I guess is a question that we will continue to ask.

Ian, what I don't understand is why anyone would have an incentive to insist that you keep information that is of great interest to the collecting community "confidential". Your anonymous source can keep his identity secret, but why won't he let you disclose what he told you about the history and authenticity of Double Action #1? The very fact that he is keeping everything secret raises questions about the legitimacy of the book.

Ian, you still have not responded to my question (quoted above).

Well...that would certainly be a different cover than what the ashcan had (and Ian's copy).

Would really like to see the inside cover of this issue, but it is quite strange that on such a low grade copy with a beat spine and pages, the right edge is sharp as a razor (not to mention the smudges at the edge of the image don't seem to extend onto the white strip).

And of course it is dated the month BEFORE the ashcan.

I rate this a really solid try though.

10 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Well...that would certainly be a different cover than what the ashcan had (and Ian's copy).

Would really like to see the inside cover of this issue, but it is quite strange that on such a low grade copy with a beat spine and pages, the right edge is sharp as a razor (not to mention the smudges at the edge of the image don't seem to extend onto the white strip).

And of course it is dated the month BEFORE the ashcan.

I rate this a really solid try though.

Ya I got 1 of his 8 copy's  I say the above copy looks fake most of us have been here way to long to think it has a chance to be real. But my HP computer has a virus that India, Asia say I have(shrug)

DoubleActionComics1.jpg

Edited by woowoo

37 minutes ago, comicquant said:

He posted pics of the interiors.  Definitely appears to be the correct materials for the period.

That centerfold is from All American #4 - which is July 1939, and would make the inside bc perfectly reasonable promoting another July 39 book, it would be strange for an October book to be promoting something from July as "on sale now" (and yes the inside BC of All-American #4 is an ad for Movie Comics). And the inside last page he shows is a Wiley of West Point page, which was also the final feature in All-American #4.

Also the close up shot of indicia he posted just says "Comics, Vol 1, No. 1", without showing us that it says "Double Action" , and doesn't show the mailing address on the bc (which might contain clues suggesting it is for AA#4).

So far I still say - nice try.

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

From what I see the date says 1939 on front cover (shrug)but the add for movie comics 1 says July. Than there is a front cover stain that's on the inside front cover thru the first page yet No stain on the front coverhm

The photo with the stain on the inside FC is a More Fun that he posted for comparison.

But yes, as I pointed out the interior is from All American #4 (July 1939). Not to mention it would be quite strange for them to have an October 1939 Double Action #1, and then make the ashcan afterwards with a November 1939 date.

Was finally able to identify the interior FC that the "new" Double Action #1 is using - it is the mock-up made for Ian Levine's fake. It uses the "This Doggone World" strip* from the inside FC of Double Action #2 and slightly edited text.

* reprinted from More Fun #43, May 1939

da1.jpg

3 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Was finally able to identify the interior FC that the "new" Double Action #1 is using - it is the mock-up made for Ian Levine's fake. It uses the "This Doggone World" strip* from the inside FC of Double Action #2 and slightly edited text.

* reprinted from More Fun #43, May 1939

da1.jpg

Just got my copy that I got from Ian and took few fast pics.  inside front cover and the back cover inside than the back cover.

Photo192.jpg

Photo191.jpg

Photo193.jpg