• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worth trying to remove pencil mark?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have an expensive CGC 9.0 graded copy of Weird Fantasy Annual #1. It is pretty much flawless except for a pencil mark at the top of the "Fantasy" on the front cover and a tiny tear on the edge of the back cover. I'm trying to decide whether to have CCS or someone else try to remove the pencil, or just leave it alone. It it got bumped to a 9.2 it would double in value.

Thank you

s-l1600.png

s-l1600 (1).png

s-l1600 (3).png

s-l1600 (4).png

I agree with silversurfer27. That would be a big price to pay for a small bump in grade that might not go in your favor, but....if you’re a gambling man (shrug), ya never know

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

@RadDude I just bought the notes (copied below). Good call on checking those - they don't even mention the pencil.

"multi small indents @ logo front cover
very small tear left center of back cover
wear all corners back cover breaks color"

The small indents they mention on the front cover (pic attached) look like they might press out. I'm not sure what their last note means: "wear all corners back cover breaks cover." The corners look quite sharp to me and they are white (so no color to break anyway)?

I guess CCS offers a service where they pre-screen books to see if they would likely bump before cracking them out, so maybe that's worth a try.

IMG_1356.jpg

the tear and wear that breaks colour is what will probably keep it out of the higher grades. I would leave it alone.

The pencil marks in the logo, while a bit distracting, don't trouble me as much as the wear and tear to the back cover. I believe that would be why the final grader's note refers to the corners of the back cover showing wear...the top and bottom of the spine actually appear to have a small crunch. It is interesting they added the "breaks color" comment, since the corners of the back cover are white---that comment is usually reserved for white color breaks on a dark background. 

This could be a tough book to upgrade, IMO. While those indents on the front cover may be reduced or eliminated with a press, those small color breaks will still be visible. And while the Cream to Off-White page designation doesn't detract from the overall grade, many times this indicates there may be some tanning or age-toning to the interior cover as well. 

In any event, it's always a treat seeing books from this era in such beautiful condition. Thanks for posting!  :foryou: 

Edited by The Lions Den

On 3/9/2020 at 6:08 PM, supreme-comics said:

Hi guys,

I have an expensive CGC 9.0 graded copy of Weird Fantasy Annual #1. It is pretty much flawless except for a pencil mark at the top of the "Fantasy" on the front cover and a tiny tear on the edge of the back cover. I'm trying to decide whether to have CCS or someone else try to remove the pencil, or just leave it alone. It it got bumped to a 9.2 it would double in value.

Thank you

s-l1600.png

s-l1600 (1).png

s-l1600 (3).png

s-l1600 (4).png

The pencil mark is not what is keeping this book 9.0, it can't be. So removing it will have 0 effect. Instead, what's keeping it down are some spine ticks, two issues on the back edge (I see a smaller nick below the bigger tear) and there is something going on with that top and bottom right corners at the spine. Do you have the grader notes on this? That would help you see what is bringing down the grade. if you don't have them, you can purchase them from CGC for 5$.

Edited by William-James88