• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

the only diff in mine, is I manually factored in "demand" as I have witnessed it, etc...more of a "feel" list

32 is really tough, but relative to demand, it is not as tough as 37 is...hence, in my list, 37 is "tougher" than 32... in Win's list, it is reveresed (though they are close)

Hate to jump in and disagree but from my personal experience, I have had 4 tec 37s in the last year and only 1 copy of 36. And there is a 37 on the Weiss auction as we speak. I still do not see a 36 for sale anywhere.
that has been my experience too--I've seen more 37s than 36s, but I've only been in the Pre Robin hunt for 3 years...Gator has a much better feel for the scarcity...

I have recorded 21 known sales of tec 36 in the last 8 years or so

I have recorded 18 known sales of tec 37 in the last 8 years or so...

even GPA shows 4 more tec 36 sales than 37

but keep in mind, it is close

(thumbs u

how about a "most desired" ranking? #1 most, #11 "least" :grin: This would be my order:

I can live with that...might switch 1 or 2 around on any given day, but pretty much "accepted"

how about a "most desired" ranking? #1 most, #11 "least" :grin: This would be my order:

Nice!

I fully agree with that list!

the only diff in mine, is I manually factored in "demand" as I have witnessed it, etc...more of a "fee" list

32 is really tough, but relative to demand, it is not as tough as 37 is...hence, in my list, 37 is "tougher" than 32... in Win's list, it is reveresed (though they are close)

Yeah, this list is no substitute for the knowledge of an expert who knows a market really well. But if you're getting into collecting a new title, or want to spot check the true scarcity of all Gerber 8's, or anything like that, it's a very easy way to get a hugely valuable piece of info, and all the data points you need (value in unrestored 2.0, number of copies on the census) are available readily.

My Windex scarcity rankings have another factor which is harder to quickly collect (basically, a census of copies sold in public venues or currently available in inventory lists), but it's built on this principle. I'm never going to have time to complete it, so I figured I might as well publish the foundation of the methodology.

the only diff in mine, is I manually factored in "demand" as I have witnessed it, etc...more of a "fee" list

Yeah, this list is no substitute for the knowledge of an expert who knows a market really well. But if you're getting into collecting a new title, or want to spot check the true scarcity of all Gerber 8's, or anything like that, it's a very easy way to get a hugely valuable piece of info, and all the data points you need (value in unrestored 2.0, number of copies on the census) are available readily.

My Windex scarcity rankings have another factor which is harder to quickly collect (basically, a census of copies sold in public venues or currently available in inventory lists), but it's built on this principle. I'm never going to have time to complete it, so I figured I might as well publish the foundation of the methodology.

(thumbs u

the only diff in mine, is I manually factored in "demand" as I have witnessed it, etc...more of a "feel" list

quite honestly, I consider it ground breaking... and a wonderful tool ..nice to know "how"

how about a "most desired" ranking?

If "most desired" amongst the collecting community isn't the same as "highest priced", then prices are fixing to change soon. Price will always properly sort based on desire, given enough time.

Now, it's got to be a broad-based group of collectors to permanently move price. Just because we experts don't like 'Tec 38 doesn't mean it isn't highly desired amongst a broad group of collectors.

Pehaps this could be true but for some strange reason I have had the same type of luck as primetime. More 37s came my way than 36s.
I have found many books to be cyclical...

I remember in 2005/6, I found like 10 copies of 29 and 31, but could only find 1 copy of 37 and maybe 2 of 36...

last year to 2, 29 was really tough (as was 31) but a bunch of 36's were available ...this past year, 37 is "out there"...next year, maybe 33 again...who knows...fun though

Pehaps this could be true but for some strange reason I have had the same type of luck as primetime. More 37s came my way than 36s.

I remember in 2005/6, I found like 10 copies of 29 and 31, but could only find 1 copy of 37 and maybe 2 of 36...

last year to 2, 29 was really tough (as was 31) but a bunch of 36's were available ...this past year, 37 is "out there"...next year, maybe 33 again...who knows...fun though

:frustrated: i am going to lose it soon with all these numbers

:frustrated: i am going to lose it soon with all these numbers

just ignore them lol

3-4 years ago, maybe 5 copies of 35 hit at once... so, it goes in cycles...and many of these books change hands privately too....

Very interesting. And since there are only a given number total of each out there. It will always be more random when a lot of any issue is for sale at one time. All depends on when a collector sells.

it seems that when 1 issue gets hot it chnages the census. The 29 seems to not be around this year and yet so many 31s now. And the 37s popping up all around. I have had 3 copies of the 32 this last year as well. And now you tell me its a tough issue :P

how about a "most desired" ranking?

If "most desired" amongst the collecting community isn't the same as "highest priced", then prices are fixing to change soon. Price will always properly sort based on desire, given enough time.

Now, it's got to be a broad-based group of collectors to permanently move price. Just because we experts don't like 'Tec 38 doesn't mean it isn't highly desired amongst a broad group of collectors.

Win, it's nice to see you posting.

(thumbs u

3-4 years ago, maybe 5 copies of 35 hit at once... so, it goes in cycles...and many of these books change hands privately too....

True here, I just recently landed my 2nd copy of 35 within the year. No one really knows how many private deals go on

For kicks, someone do this exercise for Action 1-50. You'll see some interesting things pop out, like the toughness of #49 & #46 vs the easiness of #30 & #47, for instance.

Really fun to have a full notebook of thousands of books like this. You can set eBay screens for the tough stuff, rejigger your bartering, cull your collection, etc., without being a multi-decade collecting expert on the sub-series on which you're compiling data.

Remember, it's not only ok to do this across titles and publishers, it's encouraged. That's how to get your sample size large enough to matter. What the difference in scarcity between Silver Streak #1, Wonder Comics (1939) #1, and King Comics #1? You can figure it out, with thousands of different issues in your spreadsheet. Excel will do all the calculations for you if you know the formulas, so you don't have to redo the rankings by hand after entering another hundred books.

Stick to unrestored 2.0 as your pricing grade, as you're much more likely to find that data, and as the pricing curve in higher grades accelerates similarly on all but a few books.

32 was the toughest issue for me...I had already had multiple issues of all the others, except 32...for almost 2 years not one was on the public market for sale (this was 2005/6)... then, I WAY overpaid for a 3.0 in heritage, just to nail the run down (and someone else was having the same trouble I was, as we battled it up thousands more than it should have gone)...

that next year, there were a lot of copies on the market (maybe the price brought them out)....

so yes, all runs in cycles... and you are right about 31's, I have/have had 5 copies in the past 2 weeks!