• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

For kicks, someone do this exercise for Action 1-50. You'll see some interesting things pop out, like the toughness of #49 & #46 vs the easiness of #30 & #47, for instance.

Really fun to have a full notebook of thousands of books like this. You can set eBay screens for the tough stuff, rejigger your bartering, cull your collection, etc., without being a multi-decade collecting expert on the sub-series on which you're compiling data.

Remember, it's not only ok to do this across titles and publishers, it's encouraged. That's how to get your sample size large enough to matter. What the difference in scarcity between Silver Streak #1, Wonder Comics (1939) #1, and King Comics #1? You can figure it out, with thousands of different issues in your spreadsheet. Excel will do all the calculations for you if you know the formulas, so you don't have to redo the rankings by hand after entering another hundred books.

Stick to unrestored 2.0 as your pricing grade, as you're much more likely to find that data, and as the pricing curve in higher grades accelerates similarly on all but a few books.

(worship)

Pehaps this could be true but for some strange reason I have had the same type of luck as primetime. More 37s came my way than 36s.
if only that were more "31s coming your way than 29s" :cool:
I have had 5 tec 31's come my way in the last few months and only 2 tec 29's...

32 was the toughest issue for me...I had already had multiple issues of all the others, except 32...for almost 2 years not one was on the public market for sale (this was 2005/6)... then, I WAY overpaid for a 3.0 in heritage, just to nail the run down (and someone else was having the same trouble I was, as we battled it up thousands more than it should have gone)...

that next year, there were a lot of copies on the market (maybe the price brought them out)....

so yes, all runs in cycles... and you are right about 31's, I have/have had 5 copies in the past 2 weeks!

I do remember not seeing 32s a few years ago. Then suddenly that book had 3 to 4k price ranges in vgish range popping up. But people are not jumping on copies (example given) like metros 4k copies today. I surely wouldnt pay 4k for one. A nice low grade unrestored copy does just fine for me.

Pehaps this could be true but for some strange reason I have had the same type of luck as primetime. More 37s came my way than 36s.
there you have it Yannis :P

Where are gettin these 31s from Rick? :o

32 was the toughest issue for me...I had already had multiple issues of all the others, except 32...for almost 2 years not one was on the public market for sale (this was 2005/6)... then, I WAY overpaid for a 3.0 in heritage, just to nail the run down (and someone else was having the same trouble I was, as we battled it up thousands more than it should have gone)...

that next year, there were a lot of copies on the market (maybe the price brought them out)....

so yes, all runs in cycles... and you are right about 31's, I have/have had 5 copies in the past 2 weeks!

I do remember not seeing 32s a few years ago. Then suddenly that book had 3 to 4k price ranges in vgish range popping up. But people are not jumping on copies (example given) like metros 4k copies today. I surely wouldnt pay 4k for one. A nice low grade unrestored copy does just fine for me.

and there is less demand for 30, 32,34 and even to an extent 28, due to the non bat covers... so, there are a myriad of factors that come into play

I think we have done this exercise before but, in order of toughness, we will call this the "gator index"

1 being easiest, 30 being toughest (impossible)...note I don't seperate for restored , unrestored, etc...just "a" copy

issue-toughness

28-28

37-25

36-23

29-22

35-20

31-20

27-18

30-18

32-17

34-16

33-15

you might have posted/thought of this already, but how about comparing this with Action 1-13 and Marvel 1-10? what would the Gator "toughness" scale say about those 3 titles in one list? hm

I think I've mentioned this to you before, but when I was putting the run together for the first time in the early 1990's, and attending EVERY convention worth going to, every year for a decade, this is what I observed in terms of most commonly found for sale.

List is ordered most common to least common:

The 33 was the most elusive for me back in those days, but the bottom three I would go a year or two without seeing a single copy at a show

I think I've mentioned this to you before, but when I was putting the run together for the first time in the early 1990's, and attending EVERY convention worth going to, every year for a decade, this is what I observed in terms of most commonly found for sale.

The 33 was the most elusive for me back in those days, but the bottom three I would go a year or two without seeing a single copy at a show

were you seeing 31s are nearly every show back then Bill? I was collecting SA Marvels at the time ;)

hm

were you seeing 31s are nearly every show back then Bill? I was collecting SA Marvels at the time ;)

No, but 34s and 36s were on guy's wombats next to Harbinger 1s

and if you recall, about 2-3 years ago, there was like 15 copies of 33 available...market has finally absorbed many of them... but it was the "scarceness" of 33 that drove the price up so much that 33 starting coming out to capture the $momentum

No, but 34s and 36s were on guy's wombats next to Harbinger 1s

36's did use to be "way" more available, didn't they

and if you recall, about 2-3 years ago, there was like 15 copies of 33 available...market has finally absorbed many of them... but it was the "scarceness" of 33 that drove the price up so much that 33 starting coming out to capture the $momentum
Rick, what do you project market prices will be when comparing 29s, 31s, and 33s in the next 10 years? Do you see the 33 stabilizing and the 29 and 31 passing it?

Rick, what do you project market prices will be when comparing 29s, 31s, and 33s in the next 10 years? Do you see the 33 stabilizing and the 29 and 31 passing it?

I hope 33 plummets like a meteorite :wishluck:

I hope 33 plummets like a meteorite :wishluck:

lol

I respect 33 for it being the origin but the Batman adventure following it in 33 is for sure not my favorite. I like 29 and 31 much more because the stories are better and they are earlier Batman!!