• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

And here's my #8, which a lot of people just love. Personally I like a number of the other covers a lot more (like the #7 above), but it's still a nice cover.

detective8.jpg

Please tell me that this book is restored so that I can put my eyes back in their sockets.

STEVE (Luvin Larson)

Yeah, #18 rocks. Here's my copy.

detective18.jpg

I'm still missing 11 of the first 26 issues. I don't have #s 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, 20, 25, and 26. However, in many cases this is due to the desire to get value with the purchase (an added challenge with pre-Batman Detectives). I know where a number of copies are that I'm missing but I'm not sold on the price. Also, I don't like the covers to #5, #10, and #20, so I'd really need to get those cheap if I get them at all. (I also don't care for #21, which I have, but it was a great deal).

I can't get enough of that cover!!!! cloud9.gif Definitely my favorite GA, and probably favorite comic book cover of all time.

I think I mentioned before that I picked up a Detective #10 very cheaply from John Dolmayan at the Oakland show earlier this year. I wasn't even there to buy anything, but when he quoted me a price that was a hefty discount to Good 2.0 guide, I had to take it. I figure that worst case scenario, I could flip it to you if I decide not to collect the pre-Batman Detectives after all. poke2.gifflowerred.gif

Yeah, #18 rocks. Here's my copy.

detective18.jpg

I'm still missing 11 of the first 26 issues. I don't have #s 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 17, 20, 25, and 26. However, in many cases this is due to the desire to get value with the purchase (an added challenge with pre-Batman Detectives). I know where a number of copies are that I'm missing but I'm not sold on the price. Also, I don't like the covers to #5, #10, and #20, so I'd really need to get those cheap if I get them at all. (I also don't care for #21, which I have, but it was a great deal).

tec36f.jpg

hello all...

Dark Knight and I were looking at this copy...we both agreed it was priced "too high", but I went ahead and snagged to fill the "hole" in my collection. It does have the distinction of being the Cosmic Aeroplane copy, with a spine split seal. Hopefully, this is just a temp addition (it is yours when you are ready Brian) until I can find another copy (although, this one is really nice when you have it in person)...

rick

Edited by NewForceComics

tec36f.jpg

hello all...

Dark Knight and I were looking at this copy...we both agreed it was priced "too high", but I went ahead and snagged to fill the "hole" in my collection. It does have the distinction of being the Cosmic Aeroplane copy, with a spine split seal. Hopefully, this is just a temp addition (it is yours when you are ready Brian) until I can find another copy (although, this one is really nice when you have it in person)...

rick

That's funny...Dark Knight really doesn't look the way I would've pictured him. You just never know I guess... confused-smiley-013.gif

tec36f.jpg

hello all...

rick

Hey Rick,

Very nice pickup on the Tec 36. It was a tough decision for me too to let it go, but I had to since I am pursuing a 31. I'm glad that one of us picked it up. It certainly looks great from the picture. I guess at that time, I was going more on the pedigree status rather than the book itself because I've never owned one until now or should I say soon (Just picked up the Det. #50 Crippen Copy at Comiclink). So im excited to get that in the mail soon. And thanks for offering it to me first when you get an unrestored copy. I just have to do things one step at a time.

Brian

P.S. You have an adorable son smile.gif

tec36f.jpg

hello all...

rick

That's funny...Dark Knight really doesn't look the way I would've pictured him. You just never know I guess... confused-smiley-013.gif

Haha, I am the "Dark Knight" Rick was referring too. I do have a pic on the thread "How do you look like" in the General Boards if you are curious to see how I look like.. In the pic, I am holding an Action Comics #1... cloud9.gif

tec36f.jpg

hello all...

rick

Hey Rick,

Very nice pickup on the Tec 36. It was a tough decision for me too to let it go, but I had to since I am pursuing a 31. I'm glad that one of us picked it up. It certainly looks great from the picture. I guess at that time, I was going more on the pedigree status rather than the book itself because I've never owned one until now or should I say soon (Just picked up the Det. #50 Crippen Copy at Comiclink). So im excited to get that in the mail soon. And thanks for offering it to me first when you get an unrestored copy. I just have to do things one step at a time.

Brian

hello all...

thanks Brian...just goes to show everyone, that good karma exists...Brian and I had both emailed the seller of the tec 36 the exact same offer, without either of us knowing about it...just happened that in one of our email exchanges, Brian mentioned to me he was looking at it, and I responded that I too had been looking at it...however, I think all will agree, persuing a 31 is more "iconic" than the 36, so Brian bowed out and let me get the book to fill the hole in my run, but when/if he is ready for it, it is his for cost (since that is what he would have gotten it for anyway, had I not of bought)....

Admittedly, I didn't initially know it was the CA copy until Brian told me (I just knew it was a 36), so that helped me validate the higher sales price (it was about $500 more than I would normally pay, but what the heck)....

I am definitely starting my son early on the GA bats...he asks me everyday if I have gotten him a "new batman comic book"...

rick

Edited by NewForceComics

tec36f.jpg

hello all...

rick

Hey Rick,

Brian

hello all...

thanks Brian...just goes to show everyone, that good karma exists...Brian and I had both emailed the seller of the tec 36 the exact same offer, without either of us knowing about it...just happened that in one of our email exchanges, Brian mentioned to me he was looking at it, and I responded that I too had been looking at it...however, I think all will agree, persuing a 31 is more "iconic" than the 36, so Brian bowed out and let me get the book to fill the hole in my run, but when/if he is ready for it, it is his for cost (since that is what he would have gotten it for anyway, had I not of bought)....

Admittedly, I didn't initially know it was the CA copy until Brian told me (I just knew it was a 36), so that helped me validate the higher sales price (it was about $500 more than I would normally pay, but what the heck)....

I am definitely starting my son early on the GA bats...he asks me everyday if I have gotten him a "new batman comic book"...

rick

Yep, and i wanted Rick too fill the "hole" in his collection. It's always nice to see a collection in progress and then being filled up down the line. I'm glad then I mentioned to you that it was the Cosmic Aeroplane Pedigree.. I don't think the seller knew about it? He mentioned in his description that it just said it (kinda like someone's first appearance). I don't know if you told him about it or if he figured out it was a pedigree. Well, I'm still deciding on the Tec 31 extensive restored. I guess I'll wait and see how much the restored 4.5 copy on Heritage will go for and then I can see whether it is worth the price he is selling me or not. But, if I pass, it's all yours...

Glad your son is looking into the GA Batman's.. When he grows up, he will realize the fun factor in collecting these hard to find books and actually owning them. Maybe someday, my kids will enjoy what I have collected. I'm definitely starting young so I can build up my collection when I'm older. Well, I guess I'll ttyl.

Brian