• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

Pehaps this could be true but for some strange reason I have had the same type of luck as primetime. More 37s came my way than 36s.
if only that were more "31s coming your way than 29s" :cool:
I have had 5 tec 31's come my way in the last few months and only 2 tec 29's...

I think I've mentioned this to you before, but when I was putting the run together for the first time in the early 1990's, and attending EVERY convention worth going to, every year for a decade, this is what I observed in terms of most commonly found for sale.

List is ordered most common to least common:

The 33 was the most elusive for me back in those days, but the bottom three I would go a year or two without seeing a single copy at a show

and if you recall, about 2-3 years ago, there was like 15 copies of 33 available...market has finally absorbed many of them... but it was the "scarceness" of 33 that drove the price up so much that 33 starting coming out to capture the $momentum
Rick, what do you project market prices will be when comparing 29s, 31s, and 33s in the next 10 years? Do you see the 33 stabilizing and the 29 and 31 passing it?

without a doubt 29 and 31 will/need to catch up and pass 33 in the guide, though they have long passed them in real world value already...

33 was always "important" due to the origin...but in the cgc world of today, covers tend to get more attention than content...so, my "gut" is that 33 will fall behind 35 in the guide (as it is already behind it in price)

a 5.0 copy of tec 31 is approx a $23K book today

a 5.0 copy of tec 29 is approx a $22K book today

a 5.0 copy of tec 35 is approx a $20K book today

a 5.0 copy of tec 33 is approx a $18K book today

now there are all kind of variables, like structure, presentation, what defects are visible, pq, etc...so, not all 5.0's are created equal... but, that is about what I have seen in the market over the last few years

Pehaps this could be true but for some strange reason I have had the same type of luck as primetime. More 37s came my way than 36s.
if only that were more "31s coming your way than 29s" :cool:
I have had 5 tec 31's come my way in the last few months and only 2 tec 29's...

I think I've mentioned this to you before, but when I was putting the run together for the first time in the early 1990's, and attending EVERY convention worth going to, every year for a decade, this is what I observed in terms of most commonly found for sale.

List is ordered most common to least common:

The 33 was the most elusive for me back in those days, but the bottom three I would go a year or two without seeing a single copy at a show

and if you recall, about 2-3 years ago, there was like 15 copies of 33 available...market has finally absorbed many of them... but it was the "scarceness" of 33 that drove the price up so much that 33 starting coming out to capture the $momentum
Rick, what do you project market prices will be when comparing 29s, 31s, and 33s in the next 10 years? Do you see the 33 stabilizing and the 29 and 31 passing it?

I hope 33 plummets like a meteorite :wishluck:

lol

I respect 33 for it being the origin but the Batman adventure following it in 33 is for sure not my favorite. I like 29 and 31 much more because the stories are better and they are earlier Batman!!

i have never liked the 33 Bat story too much either...

now there are all kind of variables, like structure, presentation, what defects are visible, pq, etc...so, not all 5.0's are created equal... but, that is about what I have seen in the market over the last few years

Woo, not liking those numbers. :whatthe:

Woo, not liking those numbers. :whatthe:

and actually, every one of those numbers has already occured...they are based on "sales" and in one case, a strong/serious offer....I can't project prices out into the future, but needless to say I don't think they will be below those

OK, humor me. What would a 1.0 #33 sell for these days? Any idea?
$4-5K easy if it presents nicely for a 1.0

$4500-$5000 on the low end IMO...

Thanks for the answers, and impressive synchronicity!

:banana:

for my money, I'd want more separation between 31/29 and 35...I think a 5.0 #31 and 29 is worth more than $2-$3k than a #35 in the same grade. 2c

yah, that was cool :cool:

Everytime you throw prices up , books become more expensive...... do it after I own them :makepoint:

Everytime you throw prices up , books become more expensive...... do it after I own them :makepoint:

Gator normally does the price "bumping". this is my first one :grin: