• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,318 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2023 at 9:21 AM, Robot Man said:

A new one just arrived. One that I just don’t see too often and a top Everett cover to me. An incredible issue with Torres, Orlando and Powell stories as well. A real EC feel to it despite it being just post code in 1956.

Although, it was real temping, I passed on another copy at Torpedo a few weeks ago. It was about a half a grade or so better than this one. I thought it was a little more aggressive than I wanted to pay. This one just became available at a third of that one so I jumped it. Patience, is something I learned a long time ago. This copy will more than suffice at this point. Bright, tight, white pages and very glossy. I can always upgrade in the future if or when a better one comes along. Glad to cross it off the list for now.

IMG_7135.jpeg

Nice score!  that one's on my lower tier want list as well.  The cover coulda been late '54, tamed down just before the code would come along.

On 8/5/2023 at 12:15 PM, fifties said:

Nice score!  that one's on my lower tier want list as well.  The cover coulda been late '54, tamed down just before the code would come along.

Might want to move this one as well some of the better Everett and Heath covers up a little higher on the list.

Compared to Atlas PCH, these are still pretty affordable right now. Grab them while you can. 

On 8/5/2023 at 1:24 PM, Robot Man said:

Might want to move this one as well some of the better Everett and Heath covers up a little higher on the list.

Compared to Atlas PCH, these are still pretty affordable right now. Grab them while you can. 

It's just that the stories are so lame.  I'd rather spend my bucks on pre code crime books, also generally affordable except for the GGA covers.

Speaking of World of Mystery #1. I was able to acquire a copy in late 2000 from Comic Connect. Since I didn't want to crack out the book I located a copy of Alan Cass's Astounding Stories #2. I must admit the story was a letdown compared to the cover, and it only cost me a few extra bucks to find that out. lol However since I bought the book for the great cover by Everett I'm satisfied with the book.

WOM_1_GCG1B_RAW.JPG

WOM_1_longwait_PG02.jpeg

On 7/3/2023 at 11:29 AM, N e r V said:

I purchased one of these as a VG and it came back a CGC 3.5 . It suffered a bit of paper loss at top after sending it to CGC.:frown: Just made an offer on this copy as a 5.5 but it presents much better than my last copy so hopefully better luck at CGC next time. I just really like this cover. Not many on census and only lower grades seem to turn up. If I find a higher grade copy in a few weeks at SDCC that would be fantastic….:wishluck:

IMG_8437.thumb.jpeg.fee798b34d414d97148de013883c2bf0.jpeg

My favorite post-code Atlas cover. Atmospheric and ominous

On 9/29/2023 at 7:01 PM, N e r V said:

Slightly upset by grading this one now. I bought this earlier as a Fine- so grade and PQ was spot on but either during the grading or encapsulation process they took out a small piece of top cover. Don’t remember it being that delicate that it should have dropped off but oh well damages done now. Still my best upgrade on this issue so far. Would love to find a grade or so higher one day.

IMG_9084.thumb.jpeg.e44ea1d50b0098d1dc5ad270b18b57b7.jpeg

Had that happen to my ST110 - they called me but no remedy offered

On 9/29/2023 at 7:01 PM, N e r V said:

Slightly upset by grading this one now. I bought this earlier as a Fine- so grade and PQ was spot on but either during the grading or encapsulation process they took out a small piece of top cover. Don’t remember it being that delicate that it should have dropped off but oh well damages done now. Still my best upgrade on this issue so far. Would love to find a grade or so higher one day.

IMG_9084.thumb.jpeg.e44ea1d50b0098d1dc5ad270b18b57b7.jpeg

Since their handling obviously can't be trusted 100%, might be a good idea to take a picture of the front and back of any future book sent to them.  That way you'd have proof if they damaged it, and could request a compensation.