• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,315 posts in this topic

I went to a small con here in Montreal this afternoon (for details see the thread in Comics Events) and picked up this nice VF book from Harley Yee.

Unknown42.jpg

Is that Maneely cross-hatching?

Definitely not Maneely and most likely Burgos Ah. I see. I haven't seen a lot of Burgos work except in the occasion HT Strange Tales story and Maneely usually signed his name on covers.

Plus, the layout is really not Maneely-esque. The muddy composition also would favor Burgos as the artist. Yet, overall, I find that there's a tendency to attribute a lot of the un-signed Atlas covers to Burgos when they might not be

AS, what are "keys" to assign a cover to Burgos? ... aside from the heavy & ugly cross-hatching :P I mean, Sale would also cross-hatch at times but he was successful at it!

Plus, the layout is really not Maneely-esque. The muddy composition also would favor Burgos as the artist. Yet, overall, I find that there's a tendency to attribute a lot of the un-signed Atlas covers to Burgos when they might not be

AS, what are "keys" to assign a cover to Burgos? ... aside from the heavy & ugly cross-hatching :P I mean, Sale would also cross-hatch at times but he was successful at it!

Burgos was used extensively both for actually drawing Atlas covers as well as for laying out covers for others (he did so for Heath which I think accounts for some awkward moments). That sort of cross-hatching was pretty typical of Burgos but it's by no means always heavy handed.

Astonishing39-3.jpg

BattleAction8-1.jpg

I just got this one in the mail.

Nice Subby :applause: and a cool date stamp. I'll email the info to AtlasTales (thumbs u

Thanks, Scrooge. I'm curious about that stamp. I've got a couple of other books that have the "Jesson's" date stamp on them. Would love to know where that store was located.

Here's a sharp copy of a book I've wanted for years. This came from Lee's Comics - A+ guy BTW. This issue is a real gem among the post-code Atlas war books. Interior by Colan, Williamson, Drucker - as well as an artist named Bill Walton. Not to mention a phenomenal Heath cover - about as life-like as line drawn art gets. I wish I could get a scan that represents the cross-hatching as well as it is in person.

66106.jpg.cb3be89dd72d0c7cd5890e55a23228c8.jpg

:applause: :applause:

Today I received Volume 3 of the Marvel Masterworks of Atlas Heroes with nothing but reprints of the Sub-Mariner series with TONS of Everett art and also interesting fish stories by other artists including a nice Shark! story by Joe Maneely. That's a volume to pick up. I believe Jimbo mentioned it elsewhere and I can only agree that it's a strong reprint book (thumbs u

I went to a small con here in Montreal this afternoon (for details see the thread in Comics Events) and picked up this nice VF book from Harley Yee.

Unknown42.jpg

Is that Maneely cross-hatching?

Definitely not Maneely and most likely Burgos

Ah. I see. I haven't seen a lot of Burgos work except in the occasion HT Strange Tales story and Maneely usually signed his name on covers.

I've got a pre code Atlas with a Maneely story and a Burgos story and it's very difficult to tell the difference....you'd think it was two Maneelys.I'm not an expert , but Maneely seems to have a greater depth of facial expression and variety in face types.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:applause: :applause:

Today I received Volume 3 of the Marvel Masterworks of Atlas Heroes with nothing but reprints of the Sub-Mariner series with TONS of Everett art and also interesting fish stories by other artists including a nice Shark! story by Joe Maneely. That's a volume to pick up. I believe Jimbo mentioned it elsewhere and I can only agree that it's a strong reprint book (thumbs u

I can't wait to get that book....a phat hardcover packed full of Everett delights....bug eyed Atlanteans, Namora hotness, mad scientist gizmos,and gnarly sea monsters. Several stories I haven't even read yet....It may end up as my favorite of all the Masterworks. GOD BLESS....

Edited by jimjum12

Here's a sharp copy of a book I've wanted for years. This came from Lee's Comics - A+ guy BTW. This issue is a real gem among the post-code Atlas war books. Interior by Colan, Williamson, Drucker - as well as an artist named Bill Walton. Not to mention a phenomenal Heath cover - about as life-like as line drawn art gets. I wish I could get a scan that represents the cross-hatching as well as it is in person.

That book is deserving of Cassic Cover status....Atlas put out some real choice stuff after the Comics Code kicked in.I guess they were pulling out all the stops trying to stay in business.GOD BLESS...

Here is one of my long-time secret grails...Behind this great Severin cover is a nice little Kirby gem...“The Vengeance Of Growling Bear”.

This was one of the few Kirby pre-implosion Atlas stories -- right around the same time as THE BLACK RIDER RIDES AGAIN came out..

QTW_16.jpg

Here is an image of the story (from the Kirbymuseum.org)

QuickTriggerPg2.jpg

Edited by AtlasFan

Here is one of my long-time secret grails...Behind this great Severin cover is a nice little Kirby gem...“The Vengeance Of Growling Bear”.

This was one of the few Kirby pre-implosion Atlas stories -- right around the same time as THE BLACK RIDER RIDES AGAIN came out..

QTW_16.jpg

I just noticed Severin's sig on the belt buckle. Very cool.

Never can leave a show without adding a few Atlas books to the collection. Here are three I picked up at FallCon.

Man 15 with the classic close-up shot by Heath (?)

The Gunhawk 13. I don't generally add Atlas Westerns but I rarely see The Gunhawk and this particular issue has 3 good Maneely stories :banana: and the fourh one is by George Tuska.

Sergeant Barney Barker # 2 - absolutely love the comedy art of John Severin :luhv:

66699.jpg.f39711494b3af591dccc2caf3a9cfcc8.jpg

66700.jpg.d0ab81774ed85a175555eaf451cd1e1d.jpg

66701.jpg.eeeaf5be9f00c85289ae4425b4e379bc.jpg

:bump:

Obviously no love for Atlas War in mid- to low-grade :(

I'll persevere with this Battleground # 2 from today's mail. Another splendid Heath cover. No Heath story as per usual but nice efforts by Pike (a rare War story for him), Reinman (an artist I appreciate more than the average fan does for some reason), Katz (who did some very strong work during that time period for Atlas), and the alwasy dependable Sale. All in all an enjoyable issue -

67423.jpg.54ad2292d02e55a8d998dc95121b29d2.jpg