• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

It took me awhile, but I finally nailed one of my longtime "Dark age" Kirby Grails!

I usually don't bid on Heritage auctions, but I could not resist this one.

From 1957, a Kirby tour-de-force (3 stories) of the almost forgotten western hero: The BLACK RIDER. This is Kirby at his late-50's best. Lots of those great inset circular panels that seem to show up when Kirby really seemed to care about the story (such as in the early issues of Challengers of the Unknown).

The cover below is my scan. The interior pics are links from the Kirbymuseum.org website.

BRRA_01.jpg

BlackRiderLegentl.jpg

BlackRiderDuel.jpg

BlackRiderTreacherPg6.jpg

WOW....it took me 15 years to find my VG+ copy ( thanks to Divad :cloud9: ).A VF copy is a phenomenal feat....I wasn't even sure it EXISTED in that high a grade.You are one lucky varmint !!!...GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wahl Thankee Kindly ya Cayote!

This book was from the Toronto Collection. There really are a swell collection of late 50's Westerns in that bunch!

Now that the newness has worn off...are you thinking about selling the Black Rider to me :cloud9: .?..GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

Sell? You mean for money? I dont think the newness has worn off yet..but if it does, you will be the first to know!

Bill

Actually...If you ever decide to I would appreciate a shot at it...although I doubt the newness will wear off soon lol ...the newness of my VG+ still hasn't worn off after 2 years.I wonder if there's a White Mountain copy....your's may be the best, I haven't checked the census.GOD BLESS...

Sell? You mean for money? I dont think the newness has worn off yet..but if it does, you will be the first to know!

Bill

Actually...If you ever decide to I would appreciate a shot at it...although I doubt the newness will wear off soon lol ...the newness of my VG+ still hasn't worn off after 2 years.I wonder if there's a White Mountain copy....your's may be the best, I haven't checked the census.GOD BLESS...

Last time I looked, this was the only one on the census. There very well could be a River City or a White Mountian out there that may do this one better.

It took me awhile, but I finally nailed one of my longtime "Dark age" Kirby Grails!

I usually don't bid on Heritage auctions, but I could not resist this one.

From 1957, a Kirby tour-de-force (3 stories) of the almost forgotten western hero: The BLACK RIDER. This is Kirby at his late-50's best. Lots of those great inset circular panels that seem to show up when Kirby really seemed to care about the story (such as in the early issues of Challengers of the Unknown).

The cover below is my scan. The interior pics are links from the Kirbymuseum.org website.

BlackRiderDuel.jpg

The origin from Black Rider 10 looked pretty good too. Scan from a forgotten source.

bb

2671321786_ebc8942349_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Remember I am just about as good as Jack when it comes to IDs but in my worthless opinion, this is not by Everett and if I had to guess, I'd say Harrison.

Waiting for AS to come and correct me :popcorn:

In the meantime, I'll pass along the links to the Timely / Atlas Mailing List to get their opinion. (thumbs u

P.S.: Aren't you on that list?

Yeah, but I usually delete about 3/4 of the stuff.

The more I look at it, the less convinced I am that it's Everett. The water looks Everett-ish to me, but some of the faces really don't (esp. the first panel on page 3).

Nice books. I like the names on the front of Lorna, the Jungle Girl #15 and #17. It's interesting form a pop culture perspective to see evidence of what type of books, outside of romance and teen genres, are being read by girls.

BRRA_01.jpg

This is a very nice book, especially so in grade. I start my Marvel collecting with Kirby's full-time return to Marvel in July of 1958 -- but it's instructive to note the earlier work. One wonders, if not for the Altas implosion immediately after the publication of this first issue, as to whether Kirby might have had the opportunity to remain on this title.

I am not sure when you speak of the "Dark Age" Kirby as to whether or not the "Dark Ages" refers to interregnum period between Atlas and Marvel or to a period in Kirby's own career, but it would make a good description of that Atlas/Marvel period when they were the "company with no name".

BRRA_01.jpg

This is a very nice book, especially so in grade. I start my Marvel collecting with Kirby's full-time return to Marvel in July of 1958 -- but it's instructive to note the earlier work. One wonders, if not for the Altas implosion immediately after the publication of this first issue, as to whether Kirby might have had the opportunity to remain on this title.

I am not sure when you speak of the "Dark Age" Kirby as to whether or not the "Dark Ages" refers to interregnum period between Atlas and Marvel or to a period in Kirby's own career, but it would make a good description of that Atlas/Marvel period when they were the "company with no name".

I've heard the term "Dark Age" refer to the time just after the Comics Code to the time around the Atlas Implosion. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Bill

BRRA_01.jpg

I've heard the term "Dark Age" refer to the time just after the Comics Code to the time around the Atlas Implosion. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Bill

I always thought that the name applied to the period that ran from the introduction of the Comics Code up until the superhero revival with Showcase 4.

I always thought that the name applied to the period that ran from the introduction of the Comics Code up until the superhero revival with Showcase 4.

That would just be for a year -- I stretch it from 19555 - 1959 as, due to its gradual unfolding, there were relatively few SA books published in that time.

Remember I am just about as good as Jack when it comes to IDs ...

"I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do is the WORST!"

:acclaim:

Jack

Well obviously I'm terrible at it. Once you embrace the fact that you can't tell one artist from another it's liberating and you can just enjoy it.

Heath, Everett, Severin and Maneely covers!

Way to go, Cap! :applause:

:bump:

Hadn't added any Atlas book in a while but that changed today thanks to Ed (ft88) with this Jann. The first story has not one but TWO Janns (one of course being an imposter) :cloud9: Also, like Dell in its Tarzan Annual and Fiction House in Wambi and maybe Jungle, Atlas sometimes published some animal stories and there's one in this issue :D

63779.jpg.d8bb1e98dbad9ab02bdda8dbcbf69cf5.jpg