• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,316 posts in this topic

And this one's for Ed. Ed, you mentioned that you're still looking for Terry-Toons # 50 with the first Heckle & Jeckle. Did you know that their debut was announced in All-Surprise # 12?

Here's the copy I picked up today and a scan of the full page ad featuring H & J -

67789.jpg.f4300e6774d7e66df4b85ea5b1719d80.jpg

67790.jpg.1b0c1fd6b96849853d33cfdbcf531bf8.jpg

And this one's for Ed. Ed, you mentioned that you're still looking for Terry-Toons # 50 with the first Heckle & Jeckle. Did you know that their debut was announced in All-Surprise # 12?

Here's the copy I picked up today and a scan of the full page ad featuring H & J -

Nice books, have these characters always been Marvel characters? Even when the cartoons were out?

Nice books, have these characters always been Marvel characters? Even when the cartoons were out?

Timely / Atlas did a bit of licensing work right after the War for a while such as the contract with Terry-Toons to put out Heckle & Jeckle and Mighty Mouse but then they let it lapse and St. John picked up that license. Other licensing agreements held by T/A were with CBS with, for example, My Friend Irma and the early issues of Suspense and I've got to assume they had an agreement for Blackstone, Magician Detective, Reno Browne, Hollywood's Greatest Cowgirl and Whip Wilson.

But then in typical Goodman fashion, they let the licenses expire (probably too expensive for his tastes) and they then proceeded to produce knock-offs ranging from Meet Miss Bliss, an imitation of Our Miss Brooks with Eve Arden and Rex Hart, a fictitious Western star (much the same way that Bob Colt was for Fawcett).

I hope that's what you were asking ...

Here's a freebie I got last week. Good thing too since it's missing the centerfold :pullhair: I pulled out also a scan from Severin's story. A little different than the usual Severin with more fine lines in this page than normal.

68507.jpg.9aaaefb052866de0a148ea25bd21e9d3.jpg

68508.jpg.cd415ecfff1b1c22079246aa88b5d3be.jpg

Great books Scrooge! Definitely a lot of value in low-grade Atlas. Black Knight is my favorite Atlas series with some of the best art I have ever seen to date. (Yellow Claw is in 2nd BTW). I'm diggin those Mad rip-offs too.

Great books Scrooge! Definitely a lot of value in low-grade Atlas. Black Knight is my favorite Atlas series with some of the best art I have ever seen to date. (Yellow Claw is in 2nd BTW). I'm diggin those Mad rip-offs too.

Thanks! I would like to add some Yellow Claws to my collection but I doubt I could find them for $16 (which IIRC is what I paid for the Black Knight :D I was happy with the price) The Jungle books from Atlas are also great btw. Not to everyone's tastes but pleasant art always.

Waku, Prince of the Bantu are sometimes enjoyable stories as well as the Jann.

Cap_Freak -- If you like Black Knight then check out Speed Carter, Spaceman. Excellent Maneely in those as well.

Thanks! I would like to add some Yellow Claws to my collection but I doubt I could find them for $16 (which IIRC is what I paid for the Black Knight :D I was happy with the price) The Jungle books from Atlas are also great btw. Not to everyone's tastes but pleasant art always.

Have you read Jungle Tales #2? The Romita art in that is excellent.

Waku, Prince of the Bantu are sometimes enjoyable stories as well as the Jann.

I read the Waku story this afternoon. A rival wants to declare war to Waku and the Bantu. He starts by beating the drums of war and sends the whole jungle into an uproar with animals killing each other and natives. Waku advocates inaction against the wish of the Bantu people. Everything escalates until the villain confronts the Bantu at which point Waku can safely challenge the villain to one-on-one combat (i.e., he avoided any deaths from the Bantu ranks by waiting it out). After licking the villain, the villain's clan wants Waku to sail the villain onto their spears to impale him. This being a post-Code book, Waku actually sends him OVER the spears, just in time for a great ape to catch the villain and take him in the jungle for some tough justice from the ape for all the gore in the animal kingdom. Under the Code, natural justice is better than human justice. Plus, it's ambiguous at best if Waku intended for the bull ape to take the villain to the shed. All nicely drawn and colored. In truth, AS, it was an entertaining story.

Super-nice Atlas Namor -- some of the best Subby stuff Everett did was during this period!

Bill

SUB_34.jpg

Everett - yes! - But whoever was writing the stories (Stan?) wasn't even trying - I just finished reading the Masterworks reprinting the mid 50s Subby run - great art - terrible stories for the most part.