• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
27 27

9,335 posts in this topic

Here is my favorite jungle girl - that dark-haired beauty: JANN!

JANN_15.jpg

Everett sure knew how to draw a lovely lass! :cloud9:

If anyone has a high-grade copy of Lorna #1...I'd love to see it. :wishluck:

as requested.....

lorna1cgc70dcopy.jpg

Thanks Podboy...... :applause:

This book has been hard for me to find in any kind of decent condition. Your copy looks great and is one of the better copies I've seen. I haven't done a census check....but I'll bet your's is near the top. The "D" copy too. Nice.

Appreciate you posting this for me. :headbang:

Got a couple of Heath Horrors in the mail too -

76126.jpg

The hand is very dramatic but the heads peeking out of the box just makes this a truely horrific cover! (thumbs u

Yes, I love this cover too. Some great pick-ups Scrooge. (thumbs u

By the way that Suspense #19 is my fav cover of the entire run. I just sold one about two weeks ago. :headbang:

Got some more Atlas books. They are like crack. You start a little and then you can't have enough :blush:

I like the Hondo Crazy cover (plus it's got to be the most unusual Heath cover around lol ) and also the Maneely work in Melvin. Are the Melvin issues hard to find?

77001.jpg.546748370d66ed1a28d724b890b94723.jpg

77002.jpg.64aa94a8b02cac106fd809faf55e7f57.jpg

Also as always I rescued some Atlas Westerns from the bins. I know I know ... these are books even Jack wouldn't like but I can't stop buying them. The Apache Kid stories are generally nicely drawn by Werner Roth. The Black Rider has a multitude of features in it and probably some Syd Shores art. And that's 2 more Maneely covers -

77018.jpg.e351bc6c24776d03e28969902ecdd3eb.jpg

77019.jpg.03825499682fc2eb337a6cde72c99669.jpg

Very nice Atlas Westerns you got there Scrooge. Some of the best Atlas artists worked on the westerns. I think they are keepers but most of the fans like the guys in long johns and a cape or girls with next to nothing on. GGA is definitely not with the hoop skirts and parasols you see in westerns.

Edited by BB-Gun

I should amend that statement. There is a lack of interest in westerns (movies and comics) which were so dominant back in the fifties and early sixties. Even Will Smith couldn't save the westerns at the box office. But Kevin Costner tried.

bb

Also as always I rescued some Atlas Westerns from the bins. I know I know ... these are books even Jack wouldn't like but I can't stop buying them. The Apache Kid stories are generally nicely drawn by Werner Roth. The Black Rider has a multitude of features in it and probably some Syd Shores art. And that's 2 more Maneely covers -

I LIKE 'EM ALL!

Can't lose with Maneely.

Jack

Got around to reading Apache Kid # 12 tonight. I believe that most of the Apache Kid stories inside are by Werner Roth, an artist I feel is waaay under-appreciated. This double-page (sorry for the screen stretch) IMO showcases some of Roth's quality as an artist. First, the pacing is nicely done but what strikes me and attracts me is how easily and in a non-cluttered fashion Roth is able to establish "the place" of the story. He brought that same sentivity to his background and setting in his Jungle stories in Lorna. At this point, I am tempted to continue and try for the Apache Kid run, or at least those issues with Roth art: 11 - 19 and some prior to that.

ApacheKid12Story2Page.jpg

Got around to reading Apache Kid # 12 tonight. I believe that most of the Apache Kid stories inside are by Werner Roth, an artist I feel is waaay under-appreciated. This double-page (sorry for the screen stretch) IMO showcases some of Roth's quality as an artist. First, the pacing is nicely done but what strikes me and attracts me is how easily and in a non-cluttered fashion Roth is able to establish "the place" of the story. He brought that same sentivity to his background and setting in his Jungle stories in Lorna. At this point, I am tempted to continue and try for the Apache Kid run, or at least those issues with Roth art: 11 - 19 and some prior to that.

ApacheKid12Story2Page.jpg

Very nice storytelling.

"pounces on the knike"?

Looks like the Kid is about to pull the ol' "look behind you" scam.

Which issues are you missing?

Jack

I thought I would dredge this up from the dead. Last post was in April. :o

I picked up 35 new Atlas books in the first 6 months of this year and thought I would share them here. :cloud9:

Most are in the 7.0 to 8.5 range with good structure and page quality. I was most happy about the broad range of genres and the large number of pre-codes.

Now liberated CGC 7.5

AdventuresintoTerror22.jpg