• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,319 posts in this topic

Wow. You learn something new every day.

It wasn't an easy one. The Colan was easier.

Sinnott, just 3 issues before (Battle 62 vs. Battle 65), looked completely different.

From the page below, I would have said: Robert Q. Sale even though it is Sinnott. The splash is not enough to go on but it's signed for proof. Quite different from the Heath look in issue 65 :o

I wondered about Sale but it didn't seem violent enough -- not confident enough to send the guess.

The Sinnott pages do remind me of his work in Treasure Chest about that time, if I remember right.

Jack

I would have bet money on Heath. There are some characteristics that are almost "diagnostic" like the cross hatching of the smoke in the background. The faces (especially the large one) and the explosion are very Heath-esque as well. I wonder if it's not a combination of Heath & Sinnott. The only weird thing there is that Heath's collaborations more often seem to be layouts/pencils by him and inking by others, and then you'd expect Heath to have signed and not Sinnott.

A very underrated book. My favorite Kida cover. The symmetry, the raw hand to hand struggle in the foreground, and the explosions all make for a great piece.

I agree that Kida should have drawn more covers ... but Stan had this Heath guy working for him.

By my count, there are 101 Heath Atlas War covers out of a total of 544 total Atlas War books. That's 18.5% or close to one-in-five!

With the Man came some more Heath covers. Condition is quite ratty ... though at under $ 2 shipped a book from a lucky win on eBay, I'm not complaining.

With these in, I am up to 110 Atlas Wars or 20% complete. Still a looooong way to go :P

87557.jpg.1b5afc2d3134fea6162136fe19220fcb.jpg

87558.jpg.afa88bc9edd7efa9451a35b88f2c2c15.jpg

87559.jpg.2c208ceefa575bb28ddeb1b3f4ac13c8.jpg

In the batch, I also received this one (Battle Action 17) where according to AtlasTales, multiple artists lent a hand to the cover with some Maneely and some Burgos mixed in? I don't know if it's because it was a jam session but that cover has never done much for me. Thankfully, there are always fun stories inside. :cool:

87582.jpg.f310d82df91d0486f4531755eba96510.jpg

Picked this book up from Matt Nelson out of small set of Atlas war books that he has for sale (for those that are interested, they are listed on the WorldWide comics web site).

Combat6.jpg

Love the colors in the water. :applause:

The unusual coloring and the Robinson cover art are what sold me on the book. (thumbs u

Picked this book up from Matt Nelson out of small set of Atlas war books that he has for sale (for those that are interested, they are listed on the WorldWide comics web site).

Combat6.jpg

Nice copy! As always. Not surprisingly, it is a favorite cover of mine as well.

Combat6.jpg

Nice copy! As always. Not surprisingly, it is a favorite cover of mine as well.

Jerry Robinson's work for Atlas is different from his earlier DC (notably Batman) work but I find very appealing.

Nobody liked the Rugged Action but I'm sure more will like this Lorna. Thanks go to Skypinkblu for the book. I also picked up 5 War books and 2 Westerns at a local con on Sunday. Scanning as time permits maybe as all are low graded and I doubt people will want to see them ...

This Lorna is the first with the title change from Jungle Queen to Jungle Girl -

89532.jpg.d7ed759e7bdc70dee81668e8a5624d39.jpg

Nobody liked the Rugged Action but I'm sure more will like this Lorna. Thanks go to Skypinkblu for the book. I also picked up 5 War books and 2 Westerns at a local con on Sunday. Scanning as time permits maybe as all are low graded and I doubt people will want to see them ...

This Lorna is the first with the title change from Jungle Queen to Jungle Girl -

I liked Rugged Action jes' fine -- what's not to like about a Maneely cover, even an inferior divided-up one? -- but didn't have anything witty to write about it. (Who said, "So what's new about that?")

Lorna seems more "ample" than usual on this cover, yet still insists on coordinating stripes with a print. How déclassé.

Jack

Lorna seems more "ample" than usual on this cover, yet still insists on coordinating stripes with a print. How déclassé.

Jack

Aside from the seeming fashion faux-pas, the "ample-ness" mentioned is why Russ Heath should have drawn more covers with women :grin: Heath is clearly a man of definite tastes when it comes to women ...