• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,318 posts in this topic

The Xerxes story is by Gil Evans who worked for a couple of years at Atlas. The Who's Who only lists that work so I don't quite know much about the man. I plan on dropping a line to the Timely / Atlas mailing list to see if I can fish more info. If any turn up, I'll post it here.

Here are a couple of really nice Kirby westerns with Severin covers.

These guys are tough to classify as they are from that "in-between" period (early post-code, pre-SA hero take-off).

Both issues have wonderful interiors by the King. I wonder why Black Rider never took off? Kirby practically cloned him for his take on the Two-Gun Kid.

Bill

BRRA_01.jpg

QTW_16.jpg

Here are a couple of really nice Kirby westerns with Severin covers.

These guys are tough to classify as they are from that "in-between" period (early post-code, pre-SA hero take-off).

Both issues have wonderful interiors by the King. I wonder why Black Rider never took off? Kirby practically cloned him for his take on the Two-Gun Kid.

Bill

BRRA_01.jpg

QTW_16.jpg

Black Rider probably failed to catch on because I think they only printed 25 copies lol ....it sure as heck is almost impossible to find one. It took me years to find a VG+ copy....thanks to Divad. I'll never get tired of seeing your Toth copy, I see you deslabbed it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

86¢ Severin Atlas goodness from Chicago -

Nice pick up 1 :applause:

I almost came to Chicage, but had a family visit at the last minute. I would have liked to say hello as our collecting interests seem to be fairly similar, although your knowledge is far greater than mine.

Mike

86¢ Severin Atlas goodness from Chicago -

Nice pick up 1 :applause:

I almost came to Chicage, but had a family visit at the last minute. I would have liked to say hello as our collecting interests seem to be fairly similar, although your knowledge is far greater than mine.

Mike

We'll meet yet Mike. (thumbs u Heck, I've never met Jack and we collect most of the same stuff (well, I don't collect SA DC. I have standards :sumo: )

Was hoping to add more Heath War covers but every box was missing the Heath issues. No surprise there. I did pick up a cheap pre-code Heath Combat Kelly. I hate the panel covers so this cheapie (under $3) worked for me -

83744.jpg.97bbf72ca80d3161acfcc24c3d1a8a08.jpg

Was hoping to add more Heath War covers but every box was missing the Heath issues. No surprise there. I did pick up a cheap pre-code Heath Combat Kelly. I hate the panel covers so this cheapie (under $3) worked for me -

That's a seriously fabulous panel cover!!! :o

Is that a bayonette to the neck in the second panel? - would have made an amazing full panel cover - as would the guy getting shot in the face in the first panel.

Atlas played around with the multi-panel covers throughout the fifties - but were there any other titles that had them on every issue?

I haven't posted these in a while....Atlas Bible Tales for Young Folks. It's kind of unusual seeing all those Horror , War, and Western greats doing bible stories. There are also some non Atla books in this group shot also. Neat books and VERY HARD TO FIND.......GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

BIBLECOLLECTION.jpg

COLANBIBLE.jpg

Thanks for posting these. You're right, some great work in there, and hard to find - I've still not been able to put together a complete set.

Did you ever think about starting a thread just for religious comics? Some great work out there that deserves a look. Thanks again!

BTW, is that animal overlooking the books alive???

I wonder why Black Rider never took off? Kirby practically cloned him for his take on the Two-Gun Kid.

Bill

BRRA_01.jpg

That Black Rider is, IMHO, one of the single best Atlas western issues. THREE Kirby stories and a Bob Powell story to round out the issue.

In this issue, Kirby made Black Rider a bit more grim and dark than Rawhide Kid.

This issue is tough to find in decent condition.

Is that a bayonette to the neck in the second panel? - would have made an amazing full panel cover - as would the guy getting shot in the face in the first panel.

Atlas played around with the multi-panel covers throughout the fifties - but were there any other titles that had them on every issue?

I can't think of any, but there are so many Atlas titles you never know.

Mike

Mike

Jungles Tales is one.

http://comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=1041

Mike

Jungles Tales is one.

http://comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=1041

(thumbs u

At which point does one have too many books?

I saw a War 12 listed on eBay and was about to set a snipe since I didn't remember the cover when I figured I should check my want list ... and, yes, I already own a copy doh! The one on eBay looks better but I don't need multiples :eek: I went ahead and pulled it out of the box now that I know I own it.

84263.jpg.c2634736f9187c1dfe1cb30175455c73.jpg

:bump:

Generally the post about to happen is received with a loud thud :/ ... but it's never prevented me before.

On this beautiful Sunday morning, I mapped out the ebb and flow of genre published by Goodman from Marvel Comics # 1 to circa 1962. Here's the result in percentage:

GenrePercentagebyYear.jpg

One will note the steady decline in the importance of Super-Heroes, being mainly ebbed out by the strong combo of Teen and Funny Animal titles. By 1945, less than 50% of Timely books were Super-Heroes and this remained the norm until the Marvel Age.

Other interesting points:

1) 1947 was the year of the Teen books.

2) Notice the arrival of Romance in 1949: the genre goes from non-existent to over 20% of the company's output! :o

3) Once Western became a factor (circa 1948), the genre remained a steady part of Goodman's stable of books.

4) Unlike Western, Crime then War came and went. Crime died in 1957 and War died in 1960. Each genre enjoyed some emphasis for a 10 year period.

5) By the time the Atlas Implosion came, 1958, the editorial staff had found / finalized the mix of titles the company had most success with and the Implosion did not change the mix of product. The graph above does not show it but while in 1957, Timely put out 350 books, it put out only 96 in 1958. The Implosion is obvious in this other graph:

AtlasImplosionChart.jpg

Wow, thanks scrooge! I would have thought that War titles would have been more popular during the 1940's, guess I was wrong!

There you go, how surprising of you to open up the can of worms :baiting:

All those '40's books with Super-Heroes are listed under Super-Heroes but are not War books (à la Battle, War, Battlefront, ...), so, if in your mind they were War books, there were plenty of War books in the '40's.