• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,317 posts in this topic

By the late-40's/early-50's, Stan was asking his staff for more pages to fill his teen titles on the coattails of the successful Archie. One result was a collaboration with Kurtzman on a Blondie knockoff...which Harvey hated but Stan spotlighted the strip in its own book, Rusty and Her Family.

On his own, Kurtzman produced the charming Egghead Doodle one of his last new features published by Stan. The strip was under-appreciated as it got buried in various Atlas titles including this one.

eggheadCover.jpg

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Ray Storch, a northern California dealer/collector, but I had forgotten until just recently that I had purchased these seven books from him years ago.

They all have married covers, and Ray actually had several boxes of similar Atlas titles that I went through for about 3 hours before settling on these copies. I presume he had a warehouse or a printers file find of the cover sheets, which he trimmed and pressed to fit the matching (nice) interiors (if anyone has any further info, please feel free to share).

Just beautiful, and yes I overpaid for them at the time, but now I'm glad to have them in the fold.

100_1305.jpg

None that I know sadly ...

I can't recall seeing significant article regarding his life or art. There are snippets of info if you Google him but I can't think of anything else to recommend.

Thnx for trying guys - I came up with nothing either.

I rec'd a Comat Casey 8 (great Maneely 'back-breaking" cover) today and the entire interior is by R. Q. Sale. I like his art, and thought it might be an alias.

I rec'd a Comat Casey 8 (great Maneely 'back-breaking" cover) today and the entire interior is by R. Q. Sale. I like his art, and thought it might be an alias.

Atlas published three series that appeared around the same time with jingoistic, anti-commie themes, started under the same writer Hank Chapman. The characters and their adventures are nearly interchangeable:

a.) Combat Kelly and his best bud Cookie Novak, had art by Joe Maneely.

b.) Combat Casey and his pal, Pvt. Penny P. Pennington had art by R. Q. Sale.

c.) Battle Brady and Sgt. Socko Swenski by Syd Shores.

At best the stories are "guilty pleasures" bolstered by their slapstick violence and their dated attitudes against commies. At worst they are really dopey comics.

I'll post something about Robert Sale later. I'm curious, what is it about Sale's artwork you like?

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Ray Storch, a northern California dealer/collector, but I had forgotten until just recently that I had purchased these seven books from him years ago.

They all have married covers, and Ray actually had several boxes of similar Atlas titles that I went through for about 3 hours before settling on these copies. I presume he had a warehouse or a printers file find of the cover sheets, which he trimmed and pressed to fit the matching (nice) interiors (if anyone has any further info, please feel free to share).

Just beautiful, and yes I overpaid for them at the time, but now I'm glad to have them in the fold.

I know Ray from the old days because I used to collect Filmore posters. He's also a CT artist and amateur resto-man. I'm not sure when the printer's file copies of covers first appeared on the scene. In the 1990's? I've heard rumors the Wilson brothers were doing the same thing: trimming and marrying file copies of covers.

Supposedly it's really Robert Q Siegel, but I can't confirm that.

I told you you'd like Combat Casey!

I'm curious, what is it about Sale's artwork you like?

It has a certain Joe Maneely quality (though not as good) to my eye.

Supposedly it's really Robert Q Siegel, but I can't confirm that.

If true, he died around age 38 (yikes). I'd really like to learn more.