• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Atlas Books - Have A Cigar
26 26

9,318 posts in this topic

Neat!

Let's try to keep these Atlas coming.

Didn't know where else to post this Heath cover. Is there a thread in SA forum this would fit? I generally don't read nor post over there.

WesternOutlaws8.jpg

I think it's fine to post here -- it will likely get more noticed by interested parties than if it was posted in the SA Forum.

Cool book with a nifty cover - I'd say it belongs here as it's post-code rather than pre-hero. I've usually resisted buying Atlas westerns, but it's been tough to do so.

You can bypass them. In all, the covers are cool but the interiors are so - so ... though if you follow Heath as a cover artist, he did superlative work. For the longest time, I thought my favorite cover of his from this period was the cover to Quick-Trigger Western # 14 (which needs a re-scan, so please AS post your copy too :wishluck: ) -

QuickTriggerWestern14.jpg

... but now with the recent arrival of Western Outlaws 16, I waver. It's a simple clichéd idea of a cover, but WOW did Heath knock it out of the ballpark -

WesternOutlaws16.jpg

You can bypass them. In all, the covers are cool but the interiors are so - so ...

I agree, ignore them. No need to bother with hack artists like Maneely, Severin, Toth, Baker, Crandall, Williamson, Morrow, Heath, Everett etc.

That's what I do :shy:

QuickTriggerWest14.jpg

Great books posted in this thread. Some day I'll have a large Atlas collection (all genres), but for now it's pretty small.

Here are a few I haven't read yet (one just bought and one just cracked).

WesternOutlaws5.jpg

OutlawKid2raw.jpg

Those are all strong Maneely covers, damonwad and Scrooge! :applause:

Fantastic western covers gents. :cloud9: I think I'm catching the Atlas Western Bug. :cool:

I did trade some newer stuff recently for a couple of Atlas westerns at the LCS. Before I get to those books I do have one other Atlas book.

April 1955 - Carl Burgos cover art

ASTONISH_38.jpg

Nice. I like seeing larger scans of these Post-Code Atlas books as they are rarely seen and I have been mostly focused on Pre-Code Atlas books. These "twilight" books are interesting to see for the first time.

Here are a couple more Outlaw Kids, with the first one another powerfully red cover and the other is an older scan -

OutlawKid11.jpg

OutlawKid13.jpg

I checked the Grand Comics DB and found issue 38 of Astonishing is the first post code issue in that title.

Kid Slade Gunfighter #6, but 2nd in the run of 4. The book has a Severin cover that is a bit of a tease with the smaller than normal center scene.

KIDSLADE_6.jpg

This book looks familiar. :grin: It was the only issue of The Outlaw Kid the LCS had. A Manleey cover with some robust detail to go along with the punch being delivered.

OUTLAWKID_13.jpg

If you're gonna twist my arm...

These two stand out to me as my favorite Maneely covers. While I think he was a talented artist, he's not one that I seek out in particular because his covers don't attract my eye as much. However, I like these two about as much as any in my collection.

126605.jpg.b9b7dcba73e50a212c038f07d9165fc6.jpg

126606.jpg.6533d4c9acd7f3ed0395d00fcb8bade4.jpg

While I think he was a talented artist, he's not one that I seek out in particular because his covers don't attract my eye as much. However, I like these two about as much as any in my collection.

Great choices :applause:

Funny bit is that I was wondering while driving home tonight if Maneely and his style would allow him to be successful today in the marketplace. Styles have changed and I am not sure that he would find his niche :shrug:

Here's another unusual cover design -

GunsmokeWestern47.jpg

Funny bit is that I was wondering while driving home tonight if Maneely and his style would allow him to be successful today in the marketplace
There were some posts in the last week regarding Maneely in the SA Forum, speculating whether he would have done well as a super-hero artist. I suspect he would have, though not without altering his style. The guy was an incredibly fast and agile artist and would likely have evolved his style like others did.

The Outlaw Fighters in phenomenal :headbang:

If you're gonna twist my arm...

These two stand out to me as my favorite Maneely covers. While I think he was a talented artist, he's not one that I seek out in particular because his covers don't attract my eye as much. However, I like these two about as much as any in my collection.

Oh my... two wonderful books.